The Student Room Group

Do I really need 45 hours of driving lessons?

I googled the average amount of lesson hours needed to drive a manual car and 45 hours came up. Assuming each lesson is £40 that's £1800! I'm also 17 so I'm expecting my insurance to be quite high. This is expensive. Is it possible to pass with just 14 hours (I regard myself as a fast learner)?
Yes, it’s possible but unlikely

General rule of thumb is 1 lesson for each year of your age so around 17 lessons (you will pick it up faster than someone in their 30s) and you will therefore likely need ~25 hours of lessons (17 x 1.5 hour lessons) at your age. So, the 45 hours may be higher because of older people and taking account of people who fail their test the first time etc.

Learning it drive is a little like chess. You can learn how to control the car very quickly. Being confident and safe doing that really is (for most people) just a matter of practice.

If you can’t afford the lessons, I have to ask “how will you afford to get insured in a car”? If you can get insured in a car, you can take fewer lessons if you can practice in, say, a parents car.

Hope that helps
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ThatKid777
I googled the average amount of lesson hours needed to drive a manual car and 45 hours came up. Assuming each lesson is £40 that's £1800! I'm also 17 so I'm expecting my insurance to be quite high. This is expensive. Is it possible to pass with just 14 hours (I regard myself as a fast learner)?

Oh course it's possible. Some people pass with less than 10 hours.

Gotta say though, if you ned to think about the cost are you ready to be a motorist? You should like you'll be buying a Gayman rather than a 911 due to the 'cost' of buying a proper car.
Original post by ThatKid777

I did mine in 15 hours with no previous driving experience at all at 17. It just depends how fast you pick it up

Lol and I still haven’t got insurance, way to expensive and don’t wanna be spending my wage on it 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending