The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Continuing with OU after moving to the US

Hey! I was wondering if anyone can help with my dilemma! My partner is American (I'm British) and we are about to embark on applying for a K1 fiancé visa so that we can be together and I can be a permanent US resident. The process takes 6-12 months and we plan to get the ball rolling in January.

I've had quite an adventure with my university studies thus far. I have half a degree in Social Work and Applied Social Studies and also completed a a year of study in Social Policy at the same university. I want to finish my studies and complete my degree with the open university. However, I feel somewhat stuck. I can't complete a degree in Social Work because you need an employer to support your degree and I can't commit to two more years in England. This led me to look into Psychology Bsc, which would be perfect as I could complete it while living in the US. However I am only eligible for a single semester worth of credit transfer which is very frustrating considering I've already collectively done 2.5 years at university.

This led me to the BA Combined Social Sciences (Psychology) degree, which I assume I'll have at least a year (two semesters) of credit transfer for. Unfortunately, this degree isn't offered to US residents however I was wondering if I can bypass this problem by applying from a UK address and continuing the degree when I move to the US. I don't mind returning to the UK to complete exams etc but i'm just wondering if this would actually work logistically or whether my move to the US (and thus the switch from UK to US resident) would make me ineligible to continue that degree and be an entire waste of time.
Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Thank you!
It seems like an ideal degree to take from a foreign country, as there are no residential schools and very few opportunities for final exams. I think you'll need to contact Student Services to discuss your options, though, as there's not a tremendous chance that someone on the board has tried to take this course in a foreign country without checking first.

You might discuss with them the option of signing up for the individual modules under an Open Degree course, and then see if they'll switch you over to the named course once you have all of the modules out of the way. (It's possible that not all of the modules are available on the Open Degree course, however, especially as some of the Stage 3 modules appear to be in a current state of flux.)

If you have any questions about the K1, however, that I can help with. My wife went through the K1 eleven years ago. It was a snap, but a lot of waiting. And money. And photocopies. Congratulations.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Speak to an OU advisor about this, but keep the questions hypothetical. It probably isn't a good idea outright say you're moving indefinitely to America. Don't mention your impending move to America to student finance.

If you want to study with the OU then I suggest you register using your current UK address and begin your studies in England, then just carry on as normal after you've moved to the States - the beauty of the OU is that you can literally work from anywhere, they don't need to know where you’re living. It probably isn't completely kosher, but it isn't against the rules either, it seems to be a bit of a grey area. I spoke to a number of people on various OU Facebook groups who did the same thing and it worked out fine for them. You may be able to transfer more credits to the OU than you think, begin the credit transfer process ASAP and see what your options are, then you can choose which degree to do.

I've heard that the Open University is not that well regarded in America, if you plan on getting a job in the States then having a degree from a 'physical' university is probably better (even if you study via distance learning), e.g. the University of London offers various online degrees through their International Programme, and the University of the Highlands and Islands does a few online degrees, including Psychology. You may be able to transfer some of your university credits into these places too, contact them and ask.

All students must pay the relevant fee where they are ordinarily and lawfully resident at the start of the academic year that they begin their studies. This means your fee is related to your ‘home address’ at the time that you first register and not a temporary or work address at the point that you commence OU study. If you move during your studies your fee may not change. The OU reserves the right to request evidence from you to confirm your home address.
Thank you so much, this is v helpful. I plan to speak to an advisor before officially signing up, but it's useful to know that there are a range of options open I may take you up on that offer of K1 visa help at some point, it seems like a minefield of paperwork and never-ending waiting. Glad to know it worked out for you and your wife in the end!
Original post by Snufkin
Speak to an OU advisor about this, but keep the questions hypothetical. It probably isn't a good idea outright say you're moving indefinitely to America. Don't mention your impending move to America to student finance.

If you want to study with the OU then I suggest you register using your current UK address and begin your studies in England, then just carry on as normal after you've moved to the States - the beauty of the OU is that you can literally work from anywhere, they don't need to know where you’re living. It probably isn't completely kosher, but it isn't against the rules either, it seems to be a bit of a grey area. I spoke to a number of people on various OU Facebook groups who did the same thing and it worked out fine for them. You may be able to transfer more credits to the OU than you think, begin the credit transfer process ASAP and see what your options are, then you can choose which degree to do.

I've heard that the Open University is not that well regarded in America, if you plan on getting a job in the States then having a degree from a 'physical' university is probably better (even if you study via distance learning), e.g. the University of London offers various online degrees through their International Programme, and the University of the Highlands and Islands does a few online degrees, including Psychology. You may be able to transfer some of your university credits into these places too, contact them and ask.

Thanks so much for responding so thoroughly, it's helpful to know the other distance options available; I hadn't heard of the University of Highlands and Islands and that seems like it could be a good option. With regards to needing a degree from a physical university I think that I'm a slightly different case in that this degree is more of just a stepping-stone to a MA for me and I have good links with the graduate school I want to end up at.

Quick Reply

Latest