The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can i study 60 credits at open uni then switch to a brick UNI?

I am hoping to study at Stage 1 with the Open University (either 60 or 120 credits depending on what is needed to start on a Uni Course) as a means to then move my study to a brick & mortar university

In my mind - I would start the OU course in Feb 2024 and finish in ~Sep 2024, Would i then be able to transfer into a brick uni In Sep 2024?
Yes, although it may affect your student finance entitlement (particularly if you earn a qualification e.g. CertHE or DipHE). I would recommend checking with SFE to confirm first.

The exception is, I believe, for courses in the Open Plus scheme, where you study two years at the OU then move to one of their partner brick unis. This is only available for certain subject areas I believe though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, although it may affect your student finance entitlement (particularly if you earn a qualification e.g. CertHE or DipHE). I would recommend checking with SFE to confirm first.

The exception is, I believe, for courses in the Open Plus scheme, where you study two years at the OU then move to one of their partner brick unis. This is only available for certain subject areas I believe though.

what date would i need to apply for the transfer by though?
Original post by Ghoulzoid
what date would i need to apply for the transfer by though?

Sorry I missed that part. If doing a February start module you would almost certainly need to take a year out after the course finished - as normally degrees require you to have completed all your qualifications and meet all requirements for the course by late August/early September (including having the result ratified by the exam board etc). You could contact the unis you want to apply to and ask about it but I suspect they would say that.

Also note that you wouldn't be transferring in this case by the sound of it but just applying for first year entry on the basis of your OU study?

Quick Reply

Latest