The Student Room Group

UCL, Durham, Manchester and Nottingham via an Access course... Five rejections?

(edited 6 years ago)
You need to try to take a step back and just concentrate on getting good grades,if you ve applied within what you can achieve then you won't get 5 rejections. If they didn't accept those grades from an access course then they would say that on their websites,universities for the most part won't be dishonest in their application process and worrying so much over this is going to be good for your mentality.
I swear you've posted about this before where people have given you reassurances.

I understand your concerns as I went through them myself a few years ago. However my concerns proved to be ill-founded. Competitive universities who say they accept access courses really do accept access courses. Competent students on my access course got offers from most, if not all, competitive universities that they applied to. I saw no indication that doing an access course puts you at a disadvantage.

Just focus on knocking out those distinctions as you wait for your offers.
Original post by Wisefire
Universities can write they will accept Access courses on their website. That's perfectly fine, and is technically correct, but that doesn't mean they're going to. UCL for example will accept Access courses, but they won't accept most Access students because they want the cream of the crop. If they receive 8 applicants for each one space they have, they will be likelier to prioritise A-Level applicants on track to exceed their grade requirements over Access students on track to exceed their grade requirements, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily they should consider both applicants equally otherwise they d increase their access requirements. Have you considered at all that doing a level 3 course in a year rather than two could look good to a university?
Universities can write they will accept Access courses on their website. That's perfectly fine, and is technically correct, but that doesn't mean they're going to. UCL for example will accept Access courses, but they won't accept most Access students because they want the cream of the crop. If they receive 8 applicants for each one space they have, they will be likelier to prioritise A-Level applicants on track to exceed their grade requirements over Access students on track to exceed their grade requirements, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applicants per place doesn't really mean much, as all universities (except Oxbridge maybe IDK) make a lot more offers than places. Just looked it up on "Which? University", and 52% of applicants to that course you mentioned at UCL. So you stand a decent chance.
That is hardly a point to get across to universities. They know Access courses run over one academic year. They also know they are not nearly as challenging or academic as A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what source do you have for them being less challenging? If it wasn't equivalent then they wouldn't accept it.
Well, I'm finding the Access course to be too easy and it's worrying thinking this can get me to an AAB course at UCL over an applicant predicted AAA at A-Level, one grade over the requirement, with one of those A-Levels being Mathematics, who may also be applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could be a case of perception, you ve done a levels in the past so you re used to that level of study other applicants wouldn't be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending