The Student Room Group

Physics AS Motion - Overtaking

I'm covering motion in physics at the moment, and I'm stuck on a question. It's determining at what time an object overtakes another object by using a velocity-time graph, anyone know how to tackle it? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by OfficialBenPage
I'm covering motion in physics at the moment, and I'm stuck on a question. It's determining at what time an object overtakes another object by using a velocity-time graph, anyone know how to tackle it? Thanks

The area under a velocity time graph is the displacement. If you say that the two objects meet at the same displacement then you need to set the area under both graphs equal to each other. This will give you the displacement at which they meet. From then you can work out the time when they meet which should be the time when one overtakes the other
Original post by Exavior
The area under a velocity time graph is the displacement. If you say that the two objects meet at the same displacement then you need to set the area under both graphs equal to each other. This will give you the displacement at which they meet. From then you can work out the time when they meet which should be the time when one overtakes the other

Thanks 😄

Quick Reply

Latest