The Student Room Group

How to avoid (and stop) procrastinating?

Hi guys! I'm doing A2 at the minute and I'm determined to increase my grades (they weren't too good at AS, but I didn't listen in class and didn't start working til around March time - 100% my fault).

The problem is that I just can't stop procrastinating. I've done work, but nowhere near as much as I should be doing. And look, I'm procrastinating again now :redface:

I've deleted my Facebook and Instagram, I don't talk to anyone, but I just can't sit myself down and do a good, solid piece of work. I'll usually end up sitting down with the intent to do work, and then I'll make a study timetable (that I never stick to), or I'll look up when my exams are, or I'll look up study tips.

All good stuff, but ultimately I know what and when I need to study, I know when my exams are, and I know how to study... so this stuff is not helping, it's just a distraction from my work.

Any tips on avoiding procrastination and getting motivated?

Also has anyone had any experience with vitamins or cereal bars that help you keep you feeling awake, alert and concentrated all day?
Is there a reason that you can't get started with your work? Some people struggle because they're scared to get things wrong etc, so maybe there's something internal you need to acknowledge and mull over? If not, I don't think there's a particular answer or trick other than keep trying. If you start work and then get distracted 5 minutes in, realise you've gotten distracted and force yourself to work. You might repeat that a dozen times in a session, but it will improve over time.

Motivation is unreliable, you have to just build the habit and willpower to do sometimes boring things! :redface: That skill alone will serve you well in life.
Reply 2
Original post by AmeliaLost
Is there a reason that you can't get started with your work? Some people struggle because they're scared to get things wrong etc, so maybe there's something internal you need to acknowledge and mull over? If not, I don't think there's a particular answer or trick other than keep trying. If you start work and then get distracted 5 minutes in, realise you've gotten distracted and force yourself to work. You might repeat that a dozen times in a session, but it will improve over time.

Motivation is unreliable, you have to just build the habit and willpower to do sometimes boring things! :redface: That skill alone will serve you well in life.

Honestly I just can't be bothered, I'm very tired all the time and I often think I need to rest :frown: but at the same time it makes me feel worse because I know I need to get the grades this year
Sleep more (even if that means sleeping 10 hours in order to function - not everyone is happy on 8 or less!), drink less caffeine, go for runs (even though it sounds counterproductive when you're tired), eat lots of leafy greens!

If you really want the grade maybe you could make yourself a little motivation poster, or stick prospectus pages or whatever on your wall. When you feel yourself flagging you'll see those grades staring back at you and feel motivated to keep going.

Or just suck it up and get on with it.

I get where you're at, I've been there too. Being harsh: Guilt is useless - Either do something or give up/take a break. Feeling bad about things will just tire you out more..
Reply 4
:-)
Reply 5
Have half an hour before you go to sleep where you don't use any computers, phones, tvs, etc. (read a book or your notes).
Go to sleep at 11:15pm or earlier.
Eat a banana before going to college.
Original post by Amefish
Honestly I just can't be bothered, I'm very tired all the time and I often think I need to rest :frown: but at the same time it makes me feel worse because I know I need to get the grades this year

whats not good/bad?

Its relevant because of how realistic change is I mean are we talking Us and Es for grades previously or is it Bs/Cs but you think you can hit A*s etc?

because going from an E to an A is bigger then going from B to A* etc
Reply 7
Original post by Luke7456
whats not good/bad?

Its relevant because of how realistic change is I mean are we talking Us and Es for grades previously or is it Bs/Cs but you think you can hit A*s etc?

because going from an E to an A is bigger then going from B to A* etc

I got BCC in my exams in August, which I guess isn't too bad but it was a big blow to my confidence. Realistically, to get into my preferred unis I would only need to increase by a grade for each subject (to ABB). It still feels like a long way to go for me though.
Original post by Amefish
I got BCC in my exams in August, which I guess isn't too bad but it was a big blow to my confidence. Realistically, to get into my preferred unis I would only need to increase by a grade for each subject (to ABB). It still feels like a long way to go for me though.

I don't think thats impossible at all. With hard work and dedication but as an experienced procrastinator I know that is probs not a good thing to say to you.

You just need to jump on it right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending