The Student Room Group

how does the ucas form work in terms of grades?

i have just taken my AS's in maths, biology and physics and i want to study something physics related which generally requires BBB it get in. unfortunately one of my exams in physic did not go to well and i ended up with a C. but on a lighter note i got a A in maths and a B in biology. will the uni i apply for see my grade in physics? is there any way to make sure that they do not as i believe it will lower my chances of being excepted.

thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Basically, no. You have to declare all your grades, including module results on the form.

Uni's tend to take into account predicted grades quite a lot though; bear that in mind.
Why don't you decline your Physics grade, resit a few AS modules to up your mark and in the mean time get your teacher to predict you at least a B in Physics. Declining it means that you dont have to put the grade on your Ucas form and therefore the Universities don't see it.
Physics was in clearing this year at York, I think. This leads me to believe it's not that competitive.

Correct me if I'm wrong though - I'm not that up on such things.
Courses, especially sciences, enter clearing for many reason - one of them is that the university concerned cannot find enough students who have the minimum entry requirement (or at least very close to it). Only the weaker universities, desparate for money, dilute their course by admitting students who they think will be unable to succeed in the course.

In the case of a good university it does not mean that they will take anybody to fill the place.
Reply 5
you can see if your school actually cash in your AS reuslts, if they don't you haven't got to declare your grades on your form and the uni will just see the predicted results that are in the reference
If your school has cashed in your AS grades (if you got overall grades and total UMS marks on your results slips as well as module UMS marks) you have to put them on your UCAS form unless you decline them yourself, which your exams officer can arrange for you. If your grades haven't been cashed in (if you just got module UMS marks on your results slips) you can't put them on your UCAS form and you have to put them all as pending. So if your grades aren't cashed in, you don't have to do anything, but if they are, you have to decline them yourself if you don't want unis to see them. Explain to your physics teacher that you want to do it at uni, you're going to resit at least one module in January and ask to be predicted a B.

Latest

Trending

Trending