The Student Room Group

Applying on UCAS during a gap year

Hi, I’ve decided to do a gap year in order to re take one of my a-levels. This means I’m going to reapply on UCAS with a fresh application as I don’t have a deferred place already. Does anyone know how to apply during a gap year and I already have 3 A-levels (One of them resitting). Do I need a reference? Do I need to go through my old sixth form? Do I need a predicted grade for my re take?
I’m so confused on how applying without being enrolled in a school works and I cannot find any information on this as I assume many people doing a gap year have a deferred place rather than re taking.
Original post by oguy974
Hi, I’ve decided to do a gap year in order to re take one of my a-levels. This means I’m going to reapply on UCAS with a fresh application as I don’t have a deferred place already. Does anyone know how to apply during a gap year and I already have 3 A-levels (One of them resitting). Do I need a reference? Do I need to go through my old sixth form? Do I need a predicted grade for my re take?
I’m so confused on how applying without being enrolled in a school works and I cannot find any information on this as I assume many people doing a gap year have a deferred place rather than re taking.

Yes, you need a reference. A new predicted grade for the resit is preferable, but not essential.

What would normally happen is that you would contact your old sixth form and ask if they'll be your referee again. Most sixth forms will be happy to do so. They'll likely be able to use your previous reference, perhaps tweaked slightly.

However, they might not feel comfortable predicting your grade seeing as they won't be teaching you. If that's the case, you could simply leave the grade as 'pending'. You will have entered the original grade already, and then entered the retake details (likely with a new exam centre) but a pending grade. Unis are used to seeing this and will assume that the retake grade will be one higher than the original.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending