The Student Room Group

Going to Uni in 1 month's time...and no loan!

I was planning on deferring until 2008 because my family circumstances changed and I didn't think I'd be able to go to uni this year. In May, the Universities strongly advised me not to defer/cancel my application until after I got my Alevel results - so I didn't do anything about cancelling, etc. I didn't apply for any kind of student finance either because I didn't think I'd need it. A few weeks ago, my family circumstances changed AGAIN and I knew I'd probably be able to go to uni in September. I got my place last week after getting the required grades, etc.

I have no idea what to do about finance! I read somewhere that you can still apply for student finance even after your course has started, but then I read the student welcome pack for my Uni and it says I will need to take documentation of my finance, etc. with me when I go to Welcome/Fresher's week. OMG I'm so confused!

I phoned my college for advice on what finance I could get - the Uni/Careers advisor is on holiday and no one else seems to know!

What is the difference between: loans, grants, and bursaries? Also, does anyone know what I may be entitled to and where to get application forms?

I'm going to Northumbria Uni, to do Law (4 years, exempting degree, £3,900 per year), I'll be living with my grandmother (who is retired/gets disability allowance and receives below £10,000 per year i think).

One last thing, when do tuition fees have to be paid? I thought it was when you're working in a +£15,000 job yet my Uni welcome pack says I have to pay it soon.

I know these are dumb questions, but I wasn't expecting to go to Uni this year, and my college is...well...crap basically :frown: :confused: :frown:

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Ok. Don't panic! Firstly, you can apply for finance at any time; but if you apply now it's unlikely that you'll have everything by September. Your university only ask for you to prove finance when you enrol so that the SLC will pay your loan - if you don't apply until later, just give them the proof when you do get it.
You can apply online at Student Finance Direct, which is probably the quickest and easiest way for you now, for tuition fee loans (which the SLC pay to your uni on your behalf) and maintenence loans (which you get into your bank account) repayable when you're earning over £15,000. You can also apply for a maintenence grant, which means you get less of a loan, but the income-assessed grant is non-repayable so essentially you'll be reducing your debt.
Hope this helps :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending