The Student Room Group

Why would they leave a medical career and go onto teaching?

Hi everyone!
So this has been on my mind for a while now by the title don't think I'm dissing the field of teaching as that similarly is a fantastic field, however In my view I don't see myself teaching people I see myself helping people, so want to study Biomedical Science when I go to university I'm in year 12 at the moment so I have this whole year to fully think about my career choices I'm adamant on studying biomed especially when it come to working in laboratory's that's my dream! however recently I heard some people say that biomedical science is a **** career and my biology tutor is actually a registered biomedical scientist however he's gone onto teaching why would he leave a career like biomed, that's what I don't get, why study for a medical career than leave it makes me scared like I think imagine biomedical science really is a bad career prospect, I'm really confused right now, can I have everyone's opinions on this, or if anyone out there is a biomedical scientist or is studying towards it what do you think?
Because there's very few good paying jobs (science related at least) after a biomed degree if you don't have a PhD.
I'm doing a biomedical sciences (biochemistry) degree myself and I'm not even considering working as a scientist.
It's either teaching or graduate entry medicine/vet med for me.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you've written you seem to believe that virtually every single biomed graduate goes into a career in biomedicine?

That is far from the case. That is simply not how degrees work in the UK.

People who do a biomedicine undergrad go into a wide variety of careers. Yes teaching is one, but so are many other unrelated things. There are lots of business/finance type jobs that have nothing to do with science but will be very welcoming of science degrees. The same is true of virtually every other degree out there. Do you think every history graduate becomes a 'historian'? Do you think every single one of the thousands of physics graduates becomes a physicist?

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a teacher. The government treats you like absolute dirt but its a vital and rewarding job for those who can do it.

Most people do not go into jobs that directly relate to their degree. That is just how things work in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you've written you seem to believe that virtually every single biomed graduate goes into a career in biomedicine?

That is far from the case. That is simply not how degrees work in the UK.

People who do a biomedicine undergrad go into a wide variety of careers. Yes teaching is one, but so are many other unrelated things. There are lots of business/finance type jobs that have nothing to do with science but will be very welcoming of science degrees. The same is true of virtually every other degree out there. Do you think every history graduate becomes a 'historian'? Do you think every single one of the thousands of physics graduates becomes a physicist?

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a teacher. The government treats you like absolute dirt but its a vital and rewarding job for those who can do it.

Most people do not go into jobs that directly relate to their degree. That is just how things work in the UK.

Oh your right, it's just that I'm adamant to go into the field of microbiology or blood sciences via my degree so I was just like confused and all of it's really worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending