The Student Room Group

I know this is incredibly early but...

I was wondering...
my sister has down's syndrome and needs 24 hour care. Would I be able to include this in a personal statement for medicine...when I do it. Cos as far as "working in a caring environment" is concerned...I have to look after her all the time and I have learnt so much from having her around :smile:

Also...I wanted to start medicine cos when I was younger my dad had cancer but doctors helped him get better. I want to say that in a none cheesy way
any ideas?:confused:

I know its early to start thinkin about personal statements but I like to be organised :p:

K xxx
Reply 1
No worries about being organised, better than letting it catch you on the hoof in twelve months.

It is a bit of a difficult situation you're in there, because caring for someone with Downs is obviously a good direct experience and will be quite relevant in how you approach your career (I know it might be a little insensitive to think of something so serious in such career-centred terms, but bare with me a second). The risk in doing that is coming off as overly-sentimental or self-righteous about the whole thing ("I've got a sibling with xyz, I've suffered more than everyone, you don't know the meaning of hard work etc etc") which is obviously not what the interviewers want to hear or useful in any way. But the fact you've asked this question tells me you've considered this and think you could find the relevant part of the issue and highlight that, which I think should be fine. I mean, its difficult and would take some serious consideration, drafting and editing but it is really up to you and your own judgment.
Yes, you can. You could talk about it as your motivation for medicine, just don't over play it. But, in a charming way, you really don't need to be thinking about personal statements yet! I'm only writing mine now.
kellywellydoodle
I was wondering...
my sister has down's syndrome and needs 24 hour care. Would I be able to include this in a personal statement for medicine...when I do it. Cos as far as "working in a caring environment" is concerned...I have to look after her all the time and I have learnt so much from having her around :smile:

Also...I wanted to start medicine cos when I was younger my dad had cancer but doctors helped him get better. I want to say that in a none cheesy way
any ideas?:confused:

I know its early to start thinkin about personal statements but I like to be organised :p:

K xxx

Of course you can. :smile: In my personal statement I wrote about how being in hospital long stay after surgery made me more keen to do medicine...I can't remember how I worded it now, but I'm glad I did-several of my interviews contained questions regarding the procedure/stay in hospital which are obviously easier to answer than other potential questions. If I were you, I probably wouldn't talk about both in the personal statement, otherwise it may be a bit much, but pick whichever you think more relevant. I think the fact that you've actually had to be your sister's carer would be the best to mention and make it clear why you're mentioning it in your PS...like you think having this personal issue could help you empathise/made you realise you really enjoy caring for people with illness and therefore want to do medicine...or whatever you really feel you've learnt from having to deal with it! I suppose you could mention both if you really wanted to, like visiting your father and being in the hospital environment a lot let you see procedures or whatever and made you want to do medicine, then your sister could have "deepened your desire" as you realised you want a caring career (but just word it so you don't end up with "so you want to care for people, why not nursing?") I'm sure if you ask whoever's in charge of helping you to write your PS at school will have a good idea of what's appropriate to mention and help you with the wording.
Thanks thats rle helped :biggrin:

K xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending