The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
from my experience at AQA economics, the key elements are graph-drawing and the regurgitation of pre-learned points, and no to the other three questions.
Economics a 'micky mouse' subject? HELL NO.
I done economics AS level...and I found it really interesting!

It's Business Studies which is "micky mouse" - no way is economics!

It's a really cool subject because it combines theory with reality (so it wants you to evaluate loads!)

It's cool - just go with the floW!
Reply 4
i did OCR Economics. Module 1 and 2 are straight forward. 3 requires alot detail as it is the national economy one. It is difficult but once u know the basics and start revision early u would do well in the exam. Remember: It is impossible to revise 3 modules of economics in 7 days. I tried it and failed miserably ( ended up with a C ). June 2007 paper was easy as piss if u revised.
Bit off topic, but is taking economics at uni a good idea if you haven't A level maths?
I absolutely love it. All subjects are what you make them out to be, or more precisely, what you put in is what you get out.

The key thing is all human action is purposive (has a purpose) and governments aren't magical wizards.

You don't need to be good at certain subjects but a strong grasp of English and being able to churn out essay after essay after essay...is useful. Have fun with the essays though, even if you do end up with a U in one (the story behind that is when everyone else thought about the bog-standard fiscal/monetary policy, I thought about privatising the money supply. Got me a U, but my teacher told me it was the most exciting essay she'd read...weird.)

The key to any kind of Arts subject is to reads LOADS, get as many different point of view as possible. Its better to read 3 different points of view than to read 10 tomes all coming from the same angle.

And no, it isn't seen as a mickey mouse a-level. Altough it has been seriously dumbed down by AQA ready for 2009.
Reply 7
Legend Killer
Bit off topic, but is taking economics at uni a good idea if you haven't A level maths?

LSE require a maths A level but not a Economics one for their L101 Economics course considered one of the best in the world
steve2006
i did OCR Economics.

im might do OCR economics (OCR AS 3812 and A2 7812)...and we wnt hav any coursework at my new sixth form...im not sure whether i should take economics...i did gcse business...well i got a "b" in it. we didnt hav proper teacher at the beginning so, ended up doing it in 1 year. I want to do medicine..i already chose to do bio,che & maths. i would either take art or economics as my fourth subject. I knw art is a lengthy subject & i hav had my experience frm my gcses. Can any1 plz tell me a bit more about OCR economics. are there too many calculations or complicated graphs?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
I've already done AS EConomics, and I loved it. I did the AQA specification, and I wouldn't consider it a subject that requires regurgitation. It is more about the application of theory.
i think u will be doing 2881-2883 OCR Economics in the AS year.

calculations are easy. simple dividing is all there is. Most of my cousins did medicine and they all had economics as one of their AS's with Maths, Bio, Chemistry as the A2's. With econ if u work hard u can easily get an A whereas with art its a bit hit and miss cos a mate of mines is very talented but ended up with a high B in Art.

The graphs are not complex but u will need to get into the habit of drawing em. They all almost involve the supply and demand curves and logic will help u in remembering how to do it cos its nearly all common sense.

I suggest u do Economics to make sure u get your 4 A's at AS which is needed for Medicine
steve2006
i think u will be doing 2881-2883 OCR Economics in the AS year.

calculations are easy. simple dividing is all there is. Most of my cousins did medicine and they all had economics as one of their AS's with Maths, Bio, Chemistry as the A2's. With econ if u work hard u can easily get an A whereas with art its a bit hit and miss cos a mate of mines is very talented but ended up with a high B in Art.

The graphs are not complex but u will need to get into the habit of drawing em. They all almost involve the supply and demand curves and logic will help u in remembering how to do it cos its nearly all common sense.

I suggest u do Economics to make sure u get your 4 A's at AS which is needed for Medicine

THANKS A LOT. I will be doing OCR AS 3812 and A2 7812 for economics. i do understand business theory but its the writing part im most concerned abt, such as- evaluating a situation, big essay type answers worth 10-14 marks. Although, i wnt hav any coursework for my alevel economics but im worried abt the essay type question in the exam papers. Economics involes practical questions & the answers to these question are like endless...u gotta put so many diff views & so on. Do u think if i study my theory regularly & do past papers & txt book exercises..i can get an A?? i need 4 straight As.
the essays are almost the same every few years. If u get the structure right u can get the full 12 marks. Start early and keep revising economics with past papers and u will get ur A
steve2006
the essays are almost the same every few years. If u get the structure right u can get the full 12 marks. Start early and keep revising economics with past papers and u will get ur A

Thanks again. Yh i think i should go for economics..it keeps my options open for accountancy etc as legend killer mentioned in one of the posts on my 'best chem/bio' thread. I will have to work hard for this 'A' whereas in art i will have to put 3 times more work in for an 'A'...this 'A' cant b guranteed always unless u r a true artist like van gogh..lol.

Do U hav any past paers of the first 3 module of economics that i can see???? Can u scan them or send them to me?? plz...

Same way, if theres any GCSE stuff that u may want & if i hav them.. i will send them to u?? thanks/
check ur pm

To be honest i dont think Accountancy has the same appreciation Economics has with universities. Not many do accountancy and i think as a potential medic ur application will be slightly enhanced by an A in Economics than an A in Accountancy.

Btw im not sure if u know about it, but make sure u go to Medlink at Nottingham. Its the biggest pissup ever. lol
Reply 15
loved economics both AS and A2. It was the subject i got the highest mark in out of all my 'A' levels. i would have done it at uni but because i did not do maths i knew there was no point as (1) at most uni's id find it hard due to level of maths included in the course (2) all the top unis wanted maths alevel and i wasnt prepared to go to a rubbish one

it isnt a mickey mouse subject but once you grasp the fundamental concepts of for example demand and supply then the rest is fine. for my A2 exams i didnt have time to revise for it and i still came out with a decent A (WJEC)
Renae_nae
loved economics both AS and A2. It was the subject i got the highest mark in out of all my 'A' levels. i would have done it at uni but because i did not do maths i knew there was no point as (1) at most uni's id find it hard due to level of maths included in the course (2) all the top unis wanted maths alevel and i wasnt prepared to go to a rubbish one

it isnt a mickey mouse subject but once you grasp the fundamental concepts of for example demand and supply then the rest is fine. for my A2 exams i didnt have time to revise for it and i still came out with a decent A (WJEC)

Whilst I do agree that the better unis require A level maths, there are other very good unis out there that don't require it, e.g Loughborough, City, Royal Holloway etc.

Also, you could have applied for something like business management which involves economics (but easier) and it's possible, that with a good degree you would find yourself sitting in a multinational company.

How hard did you think the mathematical content would be at uni, seriously?
Choosing Economics & Business studies AS is the best decision I ever made. It combines theory work to the real world and is just immensely fascinating.

I understnad what you mean by there being so many views and no time to put them down, but really, it's not as difficult as you think (although I totally spazzed in my exams). If you're really unsure, I suggest to you to read an economics book to see if you would enjoy such topics.

Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt and The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford are both easy books to read which doesn't particularly require any previous knowledge. ^^ Plus they're good fun to just read!
Reply 18
Legend Killer

Also, you could have applied for something like business management which involves economics (but easier) and it's possible, that with a good degree you would find yourself sitting in a multinational company.

How hard did you think the mathematical content would be at uni, seriously?

extract from http://www.econ.ucl.ac.uk/degrees/faq.pdf
How much Mathematics is involved in Economics L100?
All applicants must have A Level Mathematics at Grade A or equivalent. Economics is a mathematical
subject and therefore you will find maths is involved to a large extent. In particular, maths plays a large part
in the Econometrics courses.
We advise applicants that do not like mathematics or struggle with the subject not to apply.

i have a friend who started economics at brunel and struggled tremendously, he has now changed his course to economics and business i think.
i didnt want to do business management degree and so i didnt - whether it would be easier or not. instead ive decided to do a history degree which is the complete opposite but who cares really. when our college visited ABN AMRO in central london we were told that around 1/5 of the people who worked there had a history degree... strange huh? ahh well
Reply 19
yeah man.. i done AS level economics... going to A2 economics.. done edexcel exam board. it is a very interesting subject. reason being is that it's the subject out of the 4 i took (bio, chem, ict, eco)... that i can actually apply to real world... interest rates... taxes.. inflation.. unemployment.. and it's all to do with the UK.. so it's really informing.. and if you enjoy it.. you will start to pay a lot of attention to the business and economic sections on newspapers, BBC etc...

i mean in terms of content to learn for the exam... theres hardly that much suprisingly... what makes economics hard is that you need to know and apply everything... you get a lto of marks for evaluation and analysis... so you gotta understand it thoroughly.. gotta draw graphs too.. although they're straightforward.. to be honest though... you could know all know the contents for economics in terms of revision but still get a D.. you gotta write economics like it's 2nd nature to you... i was so unprepared for my exams in june (module 2 and 3).. and got 2 A's simply because i have an economic mind and not because i'm just naturally clever or anything like that. it's really important that you have good teachers.. i had an amazing teacher and he made it so simple... if you have a good teacher you're most likely to become passionate about the subject... and in terms of economics being a mickey mouse subject. no way.. economics is very very respectable a level... economics is the better version of business studies as is computing to i.c.t.

Latest