The Student Room Group

Sitting an A level exam as a private candidate

Hi there, my name is Liv, I'm 18 and I live in the North West. Because of a very complicated situation, I'm not sitting A levels right now (I had to drop out of school in Y10 because I was bullied, caused MH issues, been messed around since then, GCSEs about to /finally/ be finished)

Essentially my question is: Is it still possible to sit a Politics A Level exam as a private candidate or have I missed the cut-off? I'm willing to pay any late fees, etc. If it's still possible then could anyone point me towards centres/etc that would be willing to?

Important P.S; I'm autistic, have anxiety & depression so please don't be too harsh when replying, I'm nervous putting this out there at all. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Liv,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm glad to hear that you're still motivated to pursue your education.

Yes, it is still possible to sit an A Level exam as a private candidate. The deadline to register for exams in the UK is usually in January, but there may be late entry options available. You can find more information on the exam boards' websites.

Here are some of the exam boards that offer A Level Politics:

AQA
Edexcel
Pearson

Once you've chosen an exam board, you'll need to find a centre that will allow you to sit the exams. You can search for centres on the exam boards' websites.

I would recommend contacting the centres directly to find out more about their policies for private candidates.

I know that sitting exams as a private candidate can be daunting, but I'm sure you can do it. You've already shown great strength and resilience by overcoming so much. I wish you all the best in your studies.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Reply 2
Do it next year with either Edexcel or AQA. It should cost £350 for the entire subject.
Reply 3
Original post by Syed100
Hi Liv,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm glad to hear that you're still motivated to pursue your education.

Yes, it is still possible to sit an A Level exam as a private candidate. The deadline to register for exams in the UK is usually in January, but there may be late entry options available. You can find more information on the exam boards' websites.

Here are some of the exam boards that offer A Level Politics:

AQA
Edexcel
Pearson

Once you've chosen an exam board, you'll need to find a centre that will allow you to sit the exams. You can search for centres on the exam boards' websites.

I would recommend contacting the centres directly to find out more about their policies for private candidates.

I know that sitting exams as a private candidate can be daunting, but I'm sure you can do it. You've already shown great strength and resilience by overcoming so much. I wish you all the best in your studies.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hey Syed - thank you so much. The site won't let me reply to your message - is there a way to get around this? Sorry for the bother - but thank you for your kind words, I cannot begin to tell you how much they mean to me
Reply 4
Original post by liv_laughlove
Hi there, my name is Liv, I'm 18 and I live in the North West. Because of a very complicated situation, I'm not sitting A levels right now (I had to drop out of school in Y10 because I was bullied, caused MH issues, been messed around since then, GCSEs about to /finally/ be finished)

Essentially my question is: Is it still possible to sit a Politics A Level exam as a private candidate or have I missed the cut-off? I'm willing to pay any late fees, etc. If it's still possible then could anyone point me towards centres/etc that would be willing to?

Important P.S; I'm autistic, have anxiety & depression so please don't be too harsh when replying, I'm nervous putting this out there at all. Thanks :smile:

You could sit in 2024 - I think paper 1 has already been sat.
Reply 5
Hey Syed - thank you so much. The site won't let me reply to your message - is there a way to get around this? Sorry for the bother - but thank you for your kind words, I cannot begin to tell you how much they mean to me

Hey, no worries at all. I think you are still a new member hence its not allowing you to message, check your PM.
Reply 6

Let me know please if you got my message?

Quick Reply

Latest