The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bluestar87
Don't even start that crap. Gerrard was awful and has been for the last 4 or 5 games. Lampard earned his place in the team with great performances for Chelsea and if anything, he was hampered by Gerrard.

tell me what he did other then the penalty playing in his so called "best position" playing good for Chelsea is not the same for england he a poor mans paul scholes let face it his not as good as Gerrard in that position.
Ronaldo VII
He is right though. Im a United fan and none of our players played but I totally agree with him. I've preferences, of course, but Gerrard was crap.

Well, let's say he's half right.

It just seemed the optimum time to steal a quick three quotes on the same page to highlight the point that not enough people think before they post.
GuyUK
what does the future hold for English football

Beckham will be 35 for World Cup 2010

Lampard will be 32

Gerrald will be 30

Owen will be 30, and still wont have played 30 games for Newcastle

What if England don't qualify for 2010?

Surely, it can't get any worse?

Correction :biggrin:
Reply 1183
Sucks we lost but it will mean bars will be less busy at game time!
My thoughts have always been as follows...

Leave Robinson in goal, this is a crucial match, Robinson has more experience at this stage/level, throwing Carson in at the deep end is a big ask. Not sure it was a necessary thing to have done.

Play Becks. Always been a fan of Becks, always will be. He's an extremely effective player, doing what he does, excellently. No BS, no beating about the bush, you expect certain things from Beckham and more often than not, he delivers. Dangerous from set-pieces and we get them alot, Crouch helps with this!

I feel sorry for the players, the reality is and they'll know it, many of them just aren't good enough, technically etc, and we're rather unfortunate to have many of our defenders out injured at present. And Owen injured was a big upset, he's proved himself at international stage, just look at his record, there's no debate here. Crouch was excellent...

such a shame we let the foot off the pedal/gas after scoring the second. Carson pulled off some fine saves, we didn't fail to qualify because of him but as a collective unit and i hope, scapegoat-wise, there are many and not a select few. Many in the team were disappointing, 'at the end of the day' the defence has cost us dearly, Bridge, Lescott, both appalling. Meh...

Positives - i'm probably going to be away on travels next summer anyway :p:
In locations with no tv set or radio communication.

The Olympics are next year and usually am more interested in this, than say, the European Championships...

and the number of times i've mumbled, 'Jesus Christ', 'deary me' and generally sighed tonight, must be in their thousands. Roll on depression and winter blues :frown:

Gives WHW a bear-hug :wink: :smile: :frown: :cool: :redface:
Throwback
He was one of the worst. Tell me one productive thing Gerrard did all night? Just one?

Tell me one thing most of the other players did?

Apart from running his socks off toward the end trying to get the ball back, he wasn't particularly productive. But what's the point criticising him for crying? He was the captain; he is clearly upset, as we all should be. It's hardly a reason to criticise him. Criticise him for playing badly, by all means.
Throwback
He was one of the worst. Tell me one productive thing Gerrard did all night? Just one?
Haha, trust you to say that. Remember the interception he made, otherwise Croatia would've been 3 against 1 in the England half, and probably would have scored another?

Did that somehow, magically, evade you?
Jonah Ramone
Well, let's say he's half right.

It just seemed the optimum time to steal a quick three quotes on the same page to highlight the point that not enough people think before they post.

People are just passionate about it - doesn't mean they're not thinking before they post.

Since when does everyone agree with each other and no rivalry exists in the world of sport?
Reply 1188
England out? :mute:
Ronaldo VII
We might have a manager with more braincells than feet by then :rolleyes:

Lets face it, no decent manager will want to touch the England managerial position with a barge pole. Why? Just take Scolari's reason.
Well, typical of United fans to have a cumfest over nothing.

I'm just disappointed. I'm not going to make a fuss over it.
Jonah Ramone
Tell me one thing most of the other players did?

Apart from running his socks off toward the end trying to get the ball back, he wasn't particularly productive.

When did I say anyone else was productive? Look through my posts in the last half hour.

But what's the point criticising him for crying? He was the captain; he is clearly upset, as we all should be. It's hardly a reason to criticise him. Criticise him for playing badly, by all means.

Agreed.
iTalya
Sucks we lost but it will mean bars will be less busy at game time!

That's not good.
Reply 1193
i hope jamie carragher is proud of himself.

could have done with him tonight.
Haha, trust you to say that. Remember the interception he made, otherwise Croatia would've been 3 against 1 in the England half, and probably would have scored another?

Did that somehow, magically, evade you?

Mate, you cannot be serious. Gerrard was absolutely awful today. He definitely wasn't the only one, though
England are so ****ing **** :frown:
Why were Croatia so up-for-it?

I think Abromavich had promised them a very happy xmas if the result favoured the Russian cause :frown: Money talks, guys :frown:
Whilst I sort of agree about Beckham, I think he still has shown enough whilst being half-fit to be included in future England squads.

average players can't produce balls like the cross of his tonight, that was top draw.

just his legs where hindered by playing barely any games and being injured. He gave a lot more effort than most IMO.
Synergetic
Mate, you cannot be serious. Gerrard was absolutely awful today. He definitely wasn't the only one, though
What the ****? Did I say he played really well?

Read the post again? Or are you saying that something that happened - didn't happen?!
You know what really peed me off.

5 minutes after the game...I went to the toilet and came back, somebody told me Andorra had equalised and that we were through.

I nearly punched him :s-smilie:

Latest