The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TC88
i see, i think i read in one of the theads that you Calcium are going to take the fukk A-level in a year? but your maths is good :p: since you did that in a year :wink: i'm only just able to cope with maths so chemistry in a year is not a wise decision!

But for someone with GCSE standard to take Chemistry A-level, won't that be similar to someone that studied chemistry AS but got a 'U' in it? :redface: But maybe thay atleast know some stuff and have notes...

Lots of people (like me) who chose Further Maths as an option do the entire A-level in Maths in lower sixth, then the entire A-level in Further Maths in the upper sixth. This is feasible because there's very little to learn, a few practice papers going up to the exam will suffice.
If you try learning six units' worth of Chemistry in 9 months alongside other subjects, your brain may explode.
JordanSHowarth
Sounds like an intresting subject to study:wink: :rolleyes:

Haha, honest mistake I'm sure :wink::p:
calcium878
Haha, honest mistake I'm sure :wink::p:

Oh, i'm sure:rolleyes:
That's the problem with the students of today; "fukk" on the mind:wink:
Reply 23
JordanSHowarth
Sounds like an intresting subject to study:wink: :rolleyes:

:redface: i edited the post as soon as i saw it :redface: sorry
Hehe, don't worry TC :smile:
Reply 25
calcium878
Lots of people (like me) who chose Further Maths as an option do the entire A-level in Maths in lower sixth, then the entire A-level in Further Maths in the upper sixth. This is feasible because there's very little to learn, a few practice papers going up to the exam will suffice.
If you try learning six units' worth of Chemistry in 9 months alongside other subjects, your brain may explode.

Oh right, in my college, people that take further maths in year 12 do FP1, M1 & D1.. and maths in year 12 = C1,C2,S1 .. thats why i thought u chose to do the full a-level in a year sepearate from your further maths :smile:

I've decided not to take the full chemistry a-level :smile: i was only asking about it anyways :p: so hopefully my brain won't explode :biggrin:
Yeah, be sure it doesn't implode now :p:
One of my friends (aspiring medic) wants to do Physics AS+A2 in one year this year along with 4 A2 subjects :s-smilie: I suppose Physics has less content than Chemistry, but I still think she's utterly crazy :p:
Reply 28
calcium878
Definitely not. I'd doubt anyone does it, unless they're gap yearing or whatever.

im doing as/a2 chemistry in one year
going to evenign clases where they teach you AS first(till jan) then A2(till june)
i got a U in AS chem due to laziness
i wil only be doign 3 resits (as chem)
so it wont be that bad as i got AB in bio and english so dont need to resit
Reply 29
Cheers pple, for ur opinions on chem, ive decided to drop ****ty I.T for Chemistry. My subjects are now Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Govnt & Politics, maybe Philosphy aswell. Im gna work much harder and revise waaay more for science this time round after GCSE, and hopefully get good grades. :tsr2:
All these clever people getting U's; it would appear almost imposbible to achieve an A!!
Reply 31
damn ur putting me off it lol, what is the hardest science in order of 1-3, 1 being the hardest. I only got a B for science at GCSE, unsure now. Im taking it because its highly respected and will boost my chances a getting into a good Uni as well as other reasons.
Reply 32
To the OP:

Only take it if you consider doing something that requires or is related to what you want to do at uni. Don't take it just for a filler, you'll probably end up thinking I can't be arse with it and might not do that great.

Once you understand the basics, you can do any of the other stuff, that's what I found anyway.

I did both Phyiscs and Chemistry at A-level, i'd say Physics was slightly harder. I didn't do Biology but from what I've heard Biology is the easiest out of the three. So I'd say it's 1) Physics , 2) Chemistry and 3) Biology
Reply 33
Excalibur
One of my friends (aspiring medic) wants to do Physics AS+A2 in one year this year along with 4 A2 subjects :s-smilie: I suppose Physics has less content than Chemistry, but I still think she's utterly crazy :p:

Lol, no chance.
Reply 34
shar7p
im doing as/a2 chemistry in one year
going to evenign clases where they teach you AS first(till jan) then A2(till june)
i got a U in AS chem due to laziness
i wil only be doign 3 resits (as chem)
so it wont be that bad as i got AB in bio and english so dont need to resit

Face it - you diddnt understand the material - If you can get AB, then a d in AS chem is within grasp
It's an interesting subject and for me it was quite different to the other subjects. To be honest it is a difficult subject and most people have great difficultly with some of the concepts however others seem to grasp some the concepts quickly. I found it really hard at the beginning but after a while I picked up on most of things, but it did take me a long time. There are some bits which are boring but other aspects are quite fun especially the practicals. There is quite abit of maths, but its not particularly difficult maths.

Overall I enjoyed it alot, and you learn alot and pick up many skills which are beneficial. Chemistry is highly valued amongst universities and can lead to a variety of careers. Its hard work, but if you put in the extra effort then it will be worthwhile and valuable.
Reply 36
Wangers
Face it - you diddnt understand the material - If you can get AB, then a d in AS chem is within grasp

thanks for the confidence boost :rolleyes:
i was only explaining to others that there are people doing alevel chem in 1 year

and vatoslocos -i got AA at gcse-and people who got B's at gcse ended up getting higher than me in chemistry (wel there were 5 U's, 3 E's, 2 D's and 3 c's in my chemistry class )
1-biology
2-physics
3-chemistry
Reply 37
vatoslocos do you need chemistry for your uni course?
It helps to have a reasonably good (and qualified :p: ) Chemistry teacher too. I had none of these.
Reply 39
shar7p
vatoslocos do you need chemistry for your uni course?

I want to do economics or accounting at Uni. If I am not able to do chemistry, ill probs be put for english literature, which will be blooody boring.
I just need a good academical subject to replace IT.

Latest