The Student Room Group

Is it ever possible to write two personal statements??

Hi. I am having a bit of a panic because I am undecided between two majorly different degrees, and I have to make my decision in the next couple of weeks. Basically, I am either going to apply for medicine or philosophy (weird, I know!). I was just wondering if it would be possible to apply for four medicine places and then apply for one philosophy place, with a seperate personal statement for the philosophy application.
Does anyone know if this is at all possible, or if I am only allowed to submit one? I was only thinking that I might be allowed two personal statements because I thought for applying for medicine you had to apply down a different route.
Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
ticos
I thought for applying for medicine you had to apply down a different route.

You apply through the same route (UCAS) but there is an earlier deadline of 15th October. :smile:
You can email the philosophy place asking if they will allow you to send a separate personal statement, but be warned they may say no.
Reply 2
Ah, good idea! Unfortunately the philosophy place is Cambridge, who aren't renowned for their flexibility...:smile:
Reply 3
Hmm i doubt cambridge would be too enthusiastic to accept someone who hasnt decided what they want to do yet. Better to make the decision asap.
Reply 4
I'm in the same sort of situation (Vet Medicine and Languages), plus I want to apply to Cambridge.
Reply 5
ticos
Ah, good idea! Unfortunately the philosophy place is Cambridge, who aren't renowned for their flexibility...:smile:

yeah... im not totally sure about this but can't you write a little personal statement on the cambridge form?
Reply 6
bonnie.grant
yeah... im not totally sure about this but can't you write a little personal statement on the cambridge form?

If you mean the little space on the CAF, yes, you can - but it's far too small to write anything substantial. It's usually only used (if at all) to say what is it particularly about Camb/about the course that appeals to you, rather than a second PS. Cambridge will see your original UCAS PS as well anyway, so they'll know that you may have applied for something different elsewhere.

To the OP: it's possible, I guess, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you show anything other than medicine in your UCAS PS, the medical schools would probably reject you. If on the other hand you dedicate it entirely to medicine, I doubt Cambridge will make you an offer for Philosophy because they would want people that are dedicated solely for Philosophy.

I know how hard it is to make a decision, but you really need to.
Reply 7
Excalibur
If you mean the little space on the CAF, yes, you can - but it's far too small to write anything substantial. It's usually only used (if at all) to say what is it particularly about Camb/about the course that appeals to you, rather than a second PS. Cambridge will see your original UCAS PS as well anyway, so they'll know that you may have applied for something different elsewhere.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure how much space was given!
OP : as you probably know Medicine is extremely competitive, as is an application to Cambridge. You need to weigh up your options, possibly email Cambridge admissions and ask if they would accept an additional PS, however i doubt they would, esp as there would be so many people applying to that course.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Cambridge would still see your original UCAS personal statement, so they'd know you'd applied for medicine everywhere else. They might accept a separate personal statement for philosophy, and you could use the extra Cambridge mini personal statement to say why the Cambridge philosophy course in particular appeals to you, but to be honest, I don't think you'd have a very good chance of getting an offer. You'd probably be OK at a lot of unis, but Cambridge would have lots of highly qualified applicants who had a real passion for the course, whereas it would look like you just applied as a back up in case you didn't get any medicine offers, and Cambridge would hate to be anyone's back up!
Reply 9
Why not apply for medicine at Cambridge?

Also, my friend applied for med last year and had a totally med-orientated PS yet still got into 2 places to do philosophy as back up.

Latest

Trending

Trending