The Student Room Group

Personal statement

If you are applying for 5 different courses at uni do u need to do 5 different personal statements or is one enough. Because I have chosen different subject e.g. Engineering and Business.
Reply 1
Original post by Elderfury843
If you are applying for 5 different courses at uni do u need to do 5 different personal statements or is one enough. Because I have chosen different subject e.g. Engineering and Business.

As far as I know, you write one personal statement. This means either you write one wide enough to cover engineering and business, or you chose a narrow range of courses that are more closely related. Most universities will not accept different a personal statement than the one that will be automatically sent to them through UCAS.
you do just one personal statement that is applicable to all the courses youre applying to. so it would be easier to apply to as few as possible different courses or preferably ones that are similar to each other bc that will make it easier to write ur PS
You can only send one personal statement off, so if you want to apply for different courses you have include all of them together.
Your only option is to request if you can send an additional PS to the unis. But realistically, you are only going to be able to do one course - so you would be better off picking one and focusing on that for your PS and uni choices
Original post by Elderfury843

Hi @Elderfury843,

It is possible to only submit one personal statement on UCAS therefore you should focus on making one first of all as that will be what you will primarily submit on UCAS and will be received by the admission teams. Another thing to note is that trying to merge the subjects together and discuss them all in one statement would be a bad idea as there simply is not enough word count in the limit to do that, you won't be able to produce a quality written piece with enough detail on the course relevant to the university reading that specific one. Therefore I would advise that you focus first on making one personal statement on just 1 subject e.g. engineering, submit that with your UCAS application, then request the university/other universities to be able to send them directly a separate personal statement relevant to their course. That way you can ensure neither of them are compromised on quality and are equally good submissions. You don't want to risk losing out on an offer because your statement simply wasn't clear/relevant enough to that course.
I applied for two different courses but asked to send a separate personal statement via email for the course that wasn't related to my personal statement.
I hope that helps answer your question! :smile:

Sarah ULaw student ambassador
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @Elderfury843,

It is possible to only submit one personal statement on UCAS therefore you should focus on making one first of all as that will be what you will primarily submit on UCAS and will be received by the admission teams. Another thing to note is that trying to merge the subjects together and discuss them all in one statement would be a bad idea as there simply is not enough word count in the limit to do that, you won't be able to produce a quality written piece with enough detail on the course relevant to the university reading that specific one. Therefore I would advise that you focus first on making one personal statement on just 1 subject e.g. engineering, submit that with your UCAS application, then request the university/other universities to be able to send them directly a separate personal statement relevant to their course. That way you can ensure neither of them are compromised on quality and are equally good submissions. You don't want to risk losing out on an offer because your statement simply wasn't clear/relevant enough to that course.
I applied for two different courses but asked to send a separate personal statement via email for the course that wasn't related to my personal statement.

Thanks for the advice
Reply 7
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @Elderfury843,

Thanks, this helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending