The Student Room Group

Can I handle maths at uni?

Alright guys?
Im sure you constantly have anxious students on here asking you whether or not they are good enough for maths at uni, I am another of these people.

Basically my situation is I am going into year 13 and so getting ready to apply to ucas, I cannot decide whether to do a Psychology degree or a Maths degree.

I am put off by a maths degree just because of its reputation, and when I try to read up on it it sounds so complicated. Also the references to proofs and number theory all seem difficult and out of my league. In regards to my acedemic background, I got an A* at Maths GCSE, though this required real hard work, and my A levels are Maths, Chemistry and Psychology, I achieved 3 A's at AS, I am now taking up further maths as an extra AS, just to keep my options open.
So basically, I am asking you whether you think I would be OK at maths at university, am I good enough to achieve a maths degree?

In case it mattered I am thinking of applying to Bristol, Cardiff and Sheffield, but I am not interested in whether ill be accepted into the unis, I want to know if I can handle the degree, I would hate to be accepted and then find I cant do the degree.

So any help is gratefully appriciated, thanks in advance, Joe. :tsr2:
Reply 1
They won't take you if they don't think you can handle it. An A at AS maths is certainly a good start though and you'll ideally be after an A for your A-level, along with a decent grade in your further maths AS. Having further maths will certainly make life easier though at the outset, at least that's what my friends doing maths at uni have basically said.

If you got there then found you couldn't do it, there'd be nothing stopping you changing courses.
I believe, from the maths content on my course and those who I know that take maths degrees, that maths at uni becomes very difficult and incredibly abstract, in that you can go through pages of notes for some modules and not see a single number. At warwick atleast, maths has a reputation for being one of, if not the most difficult degree, and ultimately what is needed is a ton of determination. Best of luck to you whatever you choose.
Reply 3
K..W.Studd
Alright guys?
Im sure you constantly have anxious students on here asking you whether or not they are good enough for maths at uni, I am another of these people.

Basically my situation is I am going into year 13 and so getting ready to apply to ucas, I cannot decide whether to do a Psychology degree or a Maths degree.

I am put off by a maths degree just because of its reputation, and when I try to read up on it it sounds so complicated. Also the references to proofs and number theory all seem difficult and out of my league. In regards to my acedemic background, I got an A* at Maths GCSE, though this required real hard work, and my A levels are Maths, Chemistry and Psychology, I achieved 3 A's at AS, I am now taking up further maths as an extra AS, just to keep my options open.
So basically, I am asking you whether you think I would be OK at maths at university, am I good enough to achieve a maths degree?

In case it mattered I am thinking of applying to Bristol, Cardiff and Sheffield, but I am not interested in whether ill be accepted into the unis, I want to know if I can handle the degree, I would hate to be accepted and then find I cant do the degree.

So any help is gratefully appriciated, thanks in advance, Joe. :tsr2:

I'd advice you to read some basic proofs and number theory to see for yourself. You can also google "MIT maths video lectures" or similar to see if you can understand some of that.

Finally, if you like maths and get accepted then I can't see how you could fail.

Good luck :smile:
If you get an A at AS you seem to be doing fine.
A2 is a step up from AS ofcourse but if you can handle it you should be fine.

And I think that if you have the option to do a maths degree and do a physchology one instead that would just be a waste.

Maths degrees>Physchology ones.

And BTW Sheffield has a standard offer for G100 of ABC...
-G-a-v-
They won't take you if they don't think you can handle it.

:ditto:

This statement should be printed in big bold red letters all over the forum. :p:

castroneves
you can go through pages of notes for some modules and not see a single number.

Can do at A-level too.
Reply 6
This thought dawned on me a couple of days ago- "will I actually be able to handle maths at uni!!??" But after coming across this thread I'm a little more confident :redface: Gotta love TSR! :p:
Reply 7
I think you can somewhat base your decision on how hard you find further maths AS
I think realistically you need to be getting an A in AS further maths to have the ability to do maths as a degree

I am a bit concerned that you found GCSE hard work, was that due to the coursework?
I know someone who got a D in AS further but is donig a degree in it now...
Reply 9
I had never even heard of Further Maths (or General Studies or Critical Thinking for that matter) until I came on TSR. Its just something our school doesn't offer :confused:
Reply 10
I didnt find it hard exactly, was just on a B initially and had to work hard to get it up to an A*.
My plan is to do 2 weeks of the further maths AS and see how hard I find it and how enjoyable it is. If I cant do it/hate it I will have to go with a different degree!

Is this is good plan, is two weeks enough to get a basic feel of the degree?
No. Not 2 weeks worth of AS further maths.
chester_2005
This thought dawned on me a couple of days ago- "will I actually be able to handle maths at uni!!??" But after coming across this thread I'm a little more confident :redface: Gotta love TSR! :p:

Good for you. I tend to read these threads and run for the hills!

Latest