The Student Room Group

do unis just discard your application if you don't make their minimal points?

I just found out I don't have the predicted grades for Nottingham... like, I have over the total point score (they're asking for 38, I have 40), but they're also asking for a 7 in one of my HLs which I don't have (I have all 6s in my HLs).

Is it completely stupid to still apply there? I'm applying for law which I know is very competitive so will they just not even look at my application?

So yeah, I really want to apply to Nottingham but I don't want to "waste" a choice if they're going to automatically reject me because I don't meet half of their requirement, does anyone know what they do if your predicted grades are not up to par?

Reply 1
Email the admissions secretary for law, pronto, and ask them! Do you have any relevant work experience?
deathlyhallow
I just found out I don't have the predicted grades for Nottingham... like, I have over the total point score (they're asking for 38, I have 40), but they're also asking for a 7 in one of my HLs which I don't have (I have all 6s in my HLs).

Is it completely stupid to still apply there? I'm applying for law which I know is very competitive so will they just not even look at my application?

So yeah, I really want to apply to Nottingham but I don't want to "waste" a choice if they're going to automatically reject me because I don't meet half of their requirement, does anyone know what they do if your predicted grades are not up to par?

Email admissions and ask, are you applying via UCAS 2008 entry? There's no harm in asking them since you've already got your results. :smile:
They'll probably reject you but you should ask them anyway. You've got nothing to lose apart from a little bit of humiliation.
Reply 4
I'd say you have a good chance, but I'm no expert on IB/HL. Phone them up and ask. Since they would be making you an unconditional offer, it's definitely worth a go.
Reply 5
No no that's my current predicted score :s-smilie: I think first I'm going to beg my English/History teachers to raise my predicted score :smile: I thought these grades were final but my counsellor told me today we can raise them until we actually apply :smile: So I'm going to be working my ass off for the next month or so :smile:

Thanks for the advice though, and I'll definitely email them if in a month's time I still don't have my 7 :smile: I'll know I'll regret it if I don't give it a shot.
Reply 6
If it's only your predicted score don't worry too much about it. Universities realise that predictions aren't always accurate, and they definitely won't discard your application based on that.
Reply 7
They will only automatically discard your application if you don't have a 'good' LNAT score. What 'good' is in that application cycle will normally depend on the Faculty. I would contact Nottingham and ask them yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending