The Student Room Group

Trinity Hall accommodation (Woodhouse) Leeds - considerations

My experience with this accommodation hasn't been too great - I just wanted to outline some of the problems I've encountered for people interested in moving there next year.

This shouldn't be much of a problem now but I was delayed moving in by over 2 months and then moved into a "temporary flat" which was a studio rather than an apartment. I still haven't received a contract or rent schedule, this is only just being sorted out nearly 3 months after moving in. Needless to say, Niche Homes have been pretty awful with communication e.g. not replying to emails.

The flat itself seemed unfinished when I moved in - the skirting board isn't finished and the plaster is coming off the walls in a few places. It also seems like the wrong furniture has been put in the room as the bed is the wrong way around and the desk doesn't sit under the electric plugs. I have also recently found a big problem with mould and condensation around the window (this is because it's a new building and the plaster hasn't yet dried out). This means I constantly have to mop up water and clean away mould - not great when the window is directly above the bed.

There wasn't a post system in place at the beginning but there are now letter boxes. However, you need to ensure that you take responsibility for your own parcels by asking the deliverer to use the intercom system as there isn't a reception for them to be handed into yet.

There has been really bad issues with internet connectivity - I was told when moving in that it is satellite internet until fibre optic has been put in. This meant that poor weather meant no internet access for hours at a time.

There is constant building work noise (drilling/hammering) during the daytime as some of the rooms are still not finished - this was especially frustrating around the exam period. The builders don't seem to respect that there are already people living here as they shout in the hall and try to enter my room on a daily basis.

On the plus side, the room itself is nice enough and spacious, it is in a good location and maintenance staff seem to respond to complaints pretty quickly.

Fair enough that the building issues should be resolved by September, but as the building is now, I cannot really recommend moving in here - especially when rent is really expensive and my experience with the management has been poor.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PaisleyPuyo
My experience with this accommodation hasn't been too great - I just wanted to outline some of the problems I've encountered for people interested in moving there next year.

This shouldn't be much of a problem now but I was delayed moving in by over 2 months and then moved into a "temporary flat" which was a studio rather than an apartment. I still haven't received a contract or rent schedule, this is only just being sorted out nearly 3 months after moving in. Needless to say, Niche Homes have been pretty awful with communication e.g. not replying to emails.

The flat itself seemed unfinished when I moved in - the skirting board isn't finished and the plaster is coming off the walls in a few places. It also seems like the wrong furniture has been put in the room as the bed is the wrong way around and the desk doesn't sit under the electric plugs. I have also recently found a big problem with mould and condensation around the window (this is because it's a new building and the plaster hasn't yet dried out). This means I constantly have to mop up water and clean away mould - not great when the window is directly above the bed.

There wasn't a post system in place at the beginning but there are now letter boxes. However, you need to ensure that you take responsibility for your own parcels by asking the deliverer to use the intercom system as there isn't a reception for them to be handed into yet.

There has been really bad issues with internet connectivity - I was told when moving in that it is satellite internet until fibre optic has been put in. This meant that poor weather meant no internet access for hours at a time.

There is constant building work noise (drilling/hammering) during the daytime as some of the rooms are still not finished - this was especially frustrating around the exam period. The builders don't seem to respect that there are already people living here as they shout in the hall and try to enter my room on a daily basis.

On the plus side, the room itself is nice enough and spacious, it is in a good location and maintenance staff seem to respond to complaints pretty quickly.

Fair enough that the building issues should be resolved by September, but as the building is now, I cannot really recommend moving in here - especially when rent is really expensive and my experience with the management has been poor.

Hi there,
I am wondering if you could tell me whether these problems are still going on. I've noticed you shared your experience in January. I am looking into living at Trinity this year and wanted to make sure that it is the right place I want to be in. Thank you
Reply 2
Original post by ayamous
Hi there,
I am wondering if you could tell me whether these problems are still going on. I've noticed you shared your experience in January. I am looking into living at Trinity this year and wanted to make sure that it is the right place I want to be in. Thank you

Hi, the building/decorating work seems to have finished in the flat areas (this was up until around June) but when I left in July there still wasn't a reception and they are still building the shop on the side. I started having problems with insects and spiders in my room but this is possibly because I was on the ground floor and there had been a leak in the room next door creating damp.
I still hadn't been given a contract because they kept making mistakes on the rent amounts or the tenancy dates - I had to work out the rent myself in the end. They gave me no advice when I'd noticed I'd been overpaying them.
I received no information on what to do when I moved out so I simply had to post my key in the management box. I sent emails explaining that I had moved out and left the keys but received no replies. I don't expect to get my deposit back (they never gave me a deposit protection certificate). :frown:
I also noticed before I left that you now have to pay for the washing machines/dryers which is a bit ridiculous considering the rent! Overall, the place is livable (probably nicer on the upper floors) and in a good location but the management is terrible.
Reply 3
After doing a quick check, I've also noticed that they have recreated their facebook page to get rid of all the negative reviews...
Reply 4
After doing a quick check, I've also noticed that they have recreated their facebook page to get rid of all the negative reviews...

Hey, Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry that you had to go through this experience! I personally wouldn't have stayed a minute if I had insects in my room :O Yeah by the sounds of it the management seems terrible.

I was wondering if you know anything about Lovell Park or St Ann's accomodation?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ayamous
Hey, Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry that you had to go through this experience! I personally wouldn't have stayed a minute if I had insects in my room :O Yeah by the sounds of it the management seems terrible.

I was wondering if you know anything about Lovell Park or St Ann's accomodation?

Thank you! :smile:

Aha unfortunately I was in the middle of writing my dissertation so I didn't have the time to find somewhere else to move!
Sorry I don't know about those places - unipol are very helpful if you need advice on somewhere to live though so I'd recommend contacting them :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 6
Aha unfortunately I was in the middle of writing my dissertation so I didn't have the time to find somewhere else to move!
Sorry I don't know about those places - unipol are very helpful if you need advice on somewhere to live though so I'd recommend contacting them :smile:
Good luck!

Oh I alright, Thank you very much for the advice! :smile:
i just paid my full rent and then i see all of this. im truly worried as not only am i leaving in 6 days time but no move in days has been sent. countless emails has been sent to them, is it possible i go to their office when im in leeds? truly so damn worried
Reply 8
Original post by MillsRose
Really sorry to hear about your experience. Were they Unipol-accredited?

Yes they were - I complained to unipol but they referred me to a specific person (who was apparently handling a lot of complaints about the same place) and I was really busy with uni all the time so I never took it any further.
I've heard other people received compensation but really I'm just glad to be away from that place - it really drained my energy trying to deal with it :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by harshini2009
i just paid my full rent and then i see all of this. im truly worried as not only am i leaving in 6 days time but no move in days has been sent. countless emails has been sent to them, is it possible i go to their office when im in leeds? truly so damn worried

I would recommend calling them up or visiting their office directly - they were terrible at replying to emails. I don't really know what the procedure is for moving in as the landlord moved me in himself whilst it was still a building site. I truly hope they've sorted the place out this year for your, and everyone elses, sake!
If you're having issues with the place, please don't be afraid to make complaints (directly to them and to unipol) and move elsewhere if needed.
Hello, just wondering if you had already moved in or not? I am about to pay the deposit and I saw all these comments... So worried as well, but there's no other room available for me to choose now.
Hi i moved in, no problems.
Original post by harshini2009
Hi i moved in, no problems.

oh!!! thank you so much for replying!!
How are the rooms as I have booked a one bedroom apartment. I have also noticed that there is no reception in the building. How does the post come in then?
How are the rooms as I have booked a one bedroom apartment. I have also noticed that there is no reception in the building. How does the post come in then?
is anyone there at the moment and can say whether these problems have been solved? I'm looking for a studio flat in Leeds as I'm starting a Masters in September, but I'm not familiar with Leeds and which accommodation is best to go for. I found niche homes and liked how it looked, but after googling for some reviews I'm not so sure! if anyone also has any good recommendations for studio flats they would be appreciated.
Reply 16
I am currently living at Niches trinity hall. Everything is going well. I was worried about all the complaints that was associated to it but everything is good. I am personally the student embassador for trinity halls. Any complaints usually come to me or the other student embassador and to be honest there’s hardly any complaints. The location is very good and is quite especially bcus u will be doing masters which I am doing at the moment. It’s literally 6/7 mins walk to uni and close to town centre. There’s also a lot of shops around. I hope this helps! :smile:
Hi,I have a question about the studios. Are you allowed to have guests over?
Reply 18
Original post by Shana23h
Hi,I have a question about the studios. Are you allowed to have guests over?

Yes you are allowed guests no more than once a week :smile:
Are you staying in a studio? I'm wondering if you can provide some pics of the studio, thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending