The Student Room Group

UCAS Applications

:confused: I want to go to university next year. What do you do to sign up for UCAS? Also how does it work as I'm new to all of this? What do UCAS require, how many Universitys can you choose etc? Is it better to apply through UCAS and what exactly is UCAS, also would it be better to apply to Universities directly or is UCAS more respected in those ways. Also would it be useful to purchase a UCAS Handbook?

Thank you and your help will be much appreciated.
Reply 1
:confused: I want to go to university next year. What do you do to sign up for UCAS?

www.ucas.com - click "apply"

Also how does it work as I'm new to all of this? What do UCAS require,

You need all your previous qualifications (GCSEs usually) and a reference, work information, personal statement etc. it will all be on the website.

how many Universitys can you choose etc?

5 for courses other than Medicine (where you can only apply to 4 Med courses and one other one)

Is it better to apply through UCAS and what exactly is UCAS, also would it be better to apply to Universities directly or is UCAS more respected in those ways. Also would it be useful to purchase a UCAS Handbook?

UCAS is the "middle man" company who sorts out uni applications and most people apply through them. It's uncommon to have to apply to universities directly (e.g. some unis outside of the UK need to be applied to directly). All the info you need will be available on the website, or you can just ask TSR. UCAS will send you all the info you need to know, so I don't think it's necessary to purchase a "handbook" (most people don't).

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Absinth
:confused: I want to go to university next year. What do you do to sign up for UCAS?

www.ucas.com - click "apply"

Also how does it work as I'm new to all of this? What do UCAS require,

You need all your previous qualifications (GCSEs usually) and a reference, work information, personal statement etc. it will all be on the website.

how many Universitys can you choose etc?

5 for courses other than Medicine (where you can only apply to 4 Med courses and one other one)

Is it better to apply through UCAS and what exactly is UCAS, also would it be better to apply to Universities directly or is UCAS more respected in those ways. Also would it be useful to purchase a UCAS Handbook?

UCAS is the "middle man" company who sorts out uni applications and most people apply through them. It's uncommon to have to apply to universities directly (e.g. some unis outside of the UK need to be applied to directly). All the info you need will be available on the website, or you can just ask TSR. UCAS will send you all the info you need to know, so I don't think it's necessary to purchase a "handbook" (most people don't).

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for both of your help, I'm going to have a word with my course tutor about UCAS a little bit more and find out the buzzword to sign up. My college isn't very renowned in its Higher Education/A-Level/BTEC etc score, so hope its on the UCAS website.

Most of the students in my college are quite stupid. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I also took the stamford test and got ridiculosly low scores for course choices, only I think one of the courses mentioned was what I wanted to do (Computer Science).

Latest

Trending

Trending