The Student Room Group

Life Skills and adulting on TSR!

No matter how prepared we feel to look after ourselves or move out, there are always things we are unsure of. How do you work a washing machine, change a light bulb, get a stain out of a carpet? How to get council tax exception, put together or pack away furniture, or apply for a mortgage?

Here on TSR we're going to put some guides together on the skills a lot of us take for granted, and other have no idea how to do. What are things you'd like help with? No life skill is too small, don't be embarrassed, I'm still scared of changing a light bulb from fear of electrocution :tongue: Post your ideas below!

- Top tips on renting a property
- Cooking Basics
- Dealing with Debt
- Budgeting Spreadsheet and Tips
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
No matter how prepared we feel to look after ourselves or move out, there are always things we are unsure of. How do you work a washing machine, change a light bulb, get a stain out of a carpet? How to get council tax exception, put together or pack away furniture, or apply for a mortgage?

Here on TSR we're going to put some guides together on the skills a lot of us take for granted, and other have no idea how to do. What are things you'd like help with? No life skill is too small, don't be embarrassed, I'm still scared of changing a light bulb from fear of electrocution :tongue: Post your ideas below!

- Top tips on renting a property
- Cooking Basics
- Dealing with Debt
- Budgeting Spreadsheet and Tips

There was a guide to pensions, that may be worth linking.

Also how to deal with taxes :hide:
How to unblock a toilet. :flute:
Original post by SeanFM
There was a guide to pensions, that may be worth linking.

Also how to deal with taxes :hide:

I'll have a look and see if either need updating as there is a taxes on too yeah! Thanks :smile:

Original post by PQ

Very true! I'm not sure I would really know, just get the toilet brush, look away, and give it a wiggle down there is all I would know to try :lol: thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll have a look and see if either need updating as there is a taxes on too yeah! Thanks :smile:

Very true! I'm not sure I would really know, just get the toilet brush, look away, and give it a wiggle down there is all I would know to try :lol: thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to b&q to buy a plunger is surprisingly embarrassing:wink:
Original post by PQ
Going to b&q to buy a plunger is surprisingly embarrassing:wink:

Sounds like you have experience then :wink: what do you actually do with a plunger? I seriously wouldn't know, I'd be too scared to break something. Our student house toilet had been blocked before and I've either sorted it with the toilet brush, a housemate has sorted it, or got my landlord to sort it if it was a pipe problem :tongue:
I wonder how many tsrians it takes to change a lightbulb...
Original post by PQ

Chuck a load of bleach down the toilet then stick a lot of plastic bags over a mop, no need to get a plunger :tongue:
Sounds like you have experience then :wink: what do you actually do with a plunger? I seriously wouldn't know, I'd be too scared to break something. Our student house toilet had been blocked before and I've either sorted it with the toilet brush, a housemate has sorted it, or got my landlord to sort it if it was a pipe problem :tongue:

You just bung it in and pump it up and down a bit. Clears pretty much everything.

The key with blocked toilets (in my fairly limited experience) is not to panic and hit the flush more than once. A toilet bowl will hold one flush. Flush again and things (THINGS ) are going to start overflowing onto the bathroom floor.
Original post by PQ
You just bung it in and pump it up and down a bit. Clears pretty much everything.

You can even get a bell plunger that's shaped to make it easier! :yep:
Original post by PQ

The key with blocked toilets (in my fairly limited experience) is not to panic and hit the flush more than once. A toilet bowl will hold one flush. Flush again and things (THINGS ) are going to start overflowing onto the bathroom floor.

OH DEAR LORD NO, really?

I will make sure not to do that :lol:
OH DEAR LORD NO, really?

I will make sure not to do that :lol:

If you overflow a blocked toilet, the non-water contents doesn't magically stay in the bowl, I'm afraid :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
If you overflow a blocked toilet, the non-water contents doesn't magically stay in the bowl, I'm afraid :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily I've never had to experience that, phew!
lol i think this will be useful to me considering i will probably die the minute i step out of the door in 7 months time :laugh:
Original post by CoolCavy
lol i think this will be useful to me considering i will probably die the minute i step out of the door in 7 months time :laugh:

You'll be fine! What sort of things would be useful to have guides and discussion on though? :smile:
You'll be fine! What sort of things would be useful to have guides and discussion on though? :smile:

lol i really wont :rofl:
well ive managed to work out how to use a microwave now (get me ik lol)
um probably stuff about student finance although that probably isnt this section
other than that stuff about doctors at uni and stuff like what facilities they have, i think you have all the other stuff, like cooking and things.
tbh most of the stuff im gonna have issues with are things only i can really sort out, like not freaking out in shops etc
um probably stuff about student finance although that probably isnt this section
other than that stuff about doctors at uni and stuff like what facilities they have, i think you have all the other stuff, like cooking and things.
tbh most of the stuff im gonna have issues with are things only i can really sort out, like not freaking out in shops etc

Aww, that's a good step forward then :smile:

We have mentioned about creating a brief guide to making doctors and hospital appoints, so I'll ask if we can have something about changing doctors for uni etc. :yep:

I agree like more Anxiety forums would be great.
Mortgage and shared ownership housing... can you do this if you've never even rented before? would it save you more than renting? Currently in a pickle about renting or jumping into shared ownership scheme. If anyones familiar help would be appreicated :smile:
Original post by bellapetrova94
Mortgage and shared ownership housing... can you do this if you've never even rented before? would it save you more than renting? Currently in a pickle about renting or jumping into shared ownership scheme. If anyones familiar help would be appreicated :smile:

I like this idea. A guide to mortgage's would be great. Wouldn't know where to start at all but it would be great if you start a guide on how to get on the housing ladder maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending