The Student Room Group

F1 2017 season chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Subcribes :ninja:
So what are you guys predicting this season in terms of leaderboards??
Original post by Robbo-92
Goodness Hamilton seems to be on it..... Was hoping for some decent racing as well! Hopefully Bottas will fare better in qualy and the race than he did in FP1/2.

Hopefully Ferrari are still sand bagging as well.

based on racing sites, it seems hamilton was the only one to get any form of balance.

what is interesting is that on the supersofts, vettel was the fastest overall and his "quali" run was on older ultrasofts than hamilton.

but yh, fingers crossed for quali.

redbull had setup issues as well. bottas didnt comment so who knows.

mclaren did well in mileage compared to barcelona but you can tell on the onboards that the engine is cutting out before they shift / they have to lift before shifting (it sounds like the engine has cut off but you can clearly hear turbo noises).

after the top 3 teams, it looks close between force india, williams and haas.

tis a shame palmer is still in f1 as he is friggin useless in most series (he may have won gp2 and old f2 but the reason are 4 years experience in the former and his dad owning the latter series (so obviously going to have more practice)).
It's hard to tell what the final pace and standing will be given teams are reluctant to turn the engine power up with only 4 power units for the entire year. Looking at the midfield bunch of Haas, Renault, Toro Rosso, Force India, Williams, and McLaren* (that hurt to type!) and how their times are next to each other, I have an inkling the Mercedes power units are being run in practice very conservatively.

I've got mixed feelings about Bottas Vs Hamilton. When Hamilton stepped into Mercedes 4 years ago the fact that Rosberg had been with the team for 3 years didn't stop him immediately establishing himself and in his first practice session was nearly half a second faster than Rosberg, then the same again for qualifying.

If Bottas is genuinely half a second slower, which we won't know until qualifying then I think that's a clear sign he's not on Hamilton's level. But I think it bodes well he may be better than Rosberg if in his first race weekend with a brand new team he only has the deficit to a 4 year settled Hamilton that a 3 year settled Rosberg had to Hamilton when he was new to the team.
Original post by quasa
based on racing sites, it seems hamilton was the only one to get any form of balance.

what is interesting is that on the supersofts, vettel was the fastest overall and his "quali" run was on older ultrasofts than hamilton.

but yh, fingers crossed for quali.

redbull had setup issues as well. bottas didnt comment so who knows.

mclaren did well in mileage compared to barcelona but you can tell on the onboards that the engine is cutting out before they shift / they have to lift before shifting (it sounds like the engine has cut off but you can clearly hear turbo noises).

after the top 3 teams, it looks close between force india, williams and haas.

tis a shame palmer is still in f1 as he is friggin useless in most series (he may have won gp2 and old f2 but the reason are 4 years experience in the former and his dad owning the latter series (so obviously going to have more practice)).

From the couple of times I've seen Palmers crash it looked like he got a huge dose of unexpected oversteer, didn't look like there was much he could do.

I've not really had much chance to read up on FP1/2 as it was essentially FP1 - bed - work. Good to hear that no one else is overly happy with their current set up whereas I presume Hamilton is as it means they should have plenty of time to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Result for Australian GP qualifying:

1) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:22.188 Circuit Record
2) Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:22.456 (+0.268 seconds)
3) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 1:22.481 (+0.293 seconds)
4) Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:23.033 (+0.845 seconds)
5) Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 1:23.485 (+1.297 seconds)
6) Romain Grosjean, Haas, 1:24.074 (+1.886 seconds)
7) Felipe Massa, Williams, 1:24.443 (+2.255 seconds)
8) Carlos Sainz Jr., Torro Rosso, 1:24.487 (+2.299 seconds)
9) Daniil Kvyat, Torro Rosso, 1:24.512 (+2.324 seconds)
10) Daniel Ricciardo, No Time*
11) Sergio Perez, Force India, 1:25.081 (+2.893 seconds)
12) Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 1:25.091 (+2.903 seconds)
13) Fernando Alonso, Mclaren, 1:25.425 (+3.237 seconds)
14) Esteban Ocon (SR), Force India, 1:25.568 (+3.380 seconds)
15) Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1:26.465 (+4.277 seconds)
16) Antonio Giovinazzi (R), Sauber, 1:26.419 (+4.231 seconds)**
17)Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 1:26.847 (+4.659 seconds)
18) Stoffel Vandorne (R), Mclaren, 1:26.858 (+4.670 seconds)
19) Jolyon Palmer, Renault, 1:28.244 (+6.056 seconds)
20) Lance Stroll (R), Williams, 1:27.143 (+4.955 seconds)***

(R)- Rookie; (SR)- semi-rookie (ie competed in < half a season but more than a few races)

* Ricciardo crashed in q3 and may be subjected to a 5 place grid penalty if gearbox damages
**Giovinazzi has replaced Pascal Wehrlein for the Australian Grand Prix from Saturday FP3 due to Werleihn still experiencing health issues from his crash at the race of champions
***- Lance Stroll qualified 19th but will start 20th due to a 5 place grid penalty from a gearbox change after FP3.

Analysis of quali 2 posts below
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else think Giovinazzi did very well, considering he's had very little F1 experience, was given very short notice and is in one of the slower cars? He was ahead of Stroll, or the experienced Magnussed, by a fair bit of time. Intreresting to note the closeness in times between Vettel and Hamilton - if the cars are as equally matched as everyone has predicted this should be a good season.
Analysis / Notes from quali:

the top 5 drivers were the only people to break the circuit record at Albert Park (1:23.529 set by Vettel in q3 of the 2011 Australian Grand Prix). additionally the pole time was slower than expected due to conditions being colder and light drizzle in q2 and part of q3 (no wet/inter conditions however). that being said, the pole time was 1.649 seconds faster than 2016.

Ferrari appear to be alot closer to mercedes than last year. vettel and bottas made errors on their q3 laps and could have been quicker. Raikkonen had set up issues. Hamilton had no mistakes on his lap, likewise Verstappen. Race should be interesting tomorrow.

Red bull were surprisingly slow in qualifying with vestappen being more than a second a lap slower than the mercs or vettel and more than 4 tenths slower than raikkonen. ricciardo wasnt able to be quick as vestappen or the top 2 teams.

albert park is not a circuit known for overtakes and 2017 should make it harder as the cars are a lot wider (2 cars side by side would mean 40cm less width to play with).

Stars of qualifying are Grosjean and giovanazzi. Grosjean managed to qualify 6th despite a major lockup in the penultimate corner. Giovanazzi had only done 12 laps before quali yet he could have been in q2 in his F1 debut were it not for him running off the road in the penultimate corner of his final lap.

Massa still showing some skill qualifying in p7, as is alonso in 13th.

midfield battle should be interesting as Haas, Williams and Torro Rosso look close. Whether this is the case for the rest of season remains to be seen as Torro Rosso traditionally qualify well in Australia but not so much for most of the circuits. Force India and Renault look to be the next group with mclaren and sauber bringing up the rear.

Stroll crashed in fp3 but was able to do quali. despite this however, he still ended up slower than he was in friday.

palmer, palmer, palmer. Ive said it before but ill say it again: if renault wants a good driver with hulkenberg, they need to get rid of palmer. yes I get the dude may only have 1 kidney but it doesnt explain how he managed to be slower than all the rookies on the field and people who are in slower cars than his. whats more worrying for him is that not only was he the only driver to be more than 5 seconds a lap slower than hamilton, he was the only driver to be more than 6 seconds a lap slower than hamilton. Stroll, who was the next slowest, was 1.1 seconds faster than him in a car that had been crashed earlier in the day.

There is a good chance there will be measures taken to reduce car speeds in the next couple of years as it was confirmed by Grosjean (and hamilton) that the cars are already cornering close to 8g.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RallySPORT
Anyone else think Giovinazzi did very well, considering he's had very little F1 experience, was given very short notice and is in one of the slower cars? He was ahead of Stroll, or the experienced Magnussed, by a fair bit of time. Intreresting to note the closeness in times between Vettel and Hamilton - if the cars are as equally matched as everyone has predicted this should be a good season.

did an analysis above.

fingers crossed for the season.
Reply 29
the fact that it's not broadcasted on BBC anymore is so annoying i ain't got Sky :colonhash: and streaming sites are so **** so I didn't really watch last season but I'mma try again

forza ferrari! forza vettel!
Original post by z33
the fact that it's not broadcasted on BBC anymore is so annoying i ain't got Sky :colonhash: and streaming sites are so **** so I didn't really watch last season but I'mma try again

forza ferrari! forza vettel!

forza ferrari et Vettel!!!

bbc 5 live radio app live streams radio if you can be asked listenting rather than watching. I didnt have a tv or tv license during last race of 2012 and heard everything play for play in great detail. you could try nowtv / skygo sports bundle but it can be pricey

you have to wait till lunch to see it on channel 4 (incdentally channel 4 broadcast really annoys me with the friggin # hastagadverts they keep doing (also steve jones is annoying)
(edited 7 years ago)

Agreed about Giovinazzi, was so close to Ericcsson who proved a match for someone like Nasr back in 2016 on one lap speed.
Original post by quasa

you have to wait till lunch to see it on channel 4 (incdentally channel 4 broadcast really annoys me with the friggin # hastagadverts they keep doing (also steve jones is annoying)

At least the channel four commentating team is pretty good, with Webber and Coulthard. Wish they still had Eddie Jordan on for every race though - he could always provide a really good view on how a team would behave from all his experience. All the #GoGoGo nonsense annoys me too.
Original post by quasa
forza ferrari et Vettel!!!

bbc 5 live radio app live streams radio if you can be asked listenting rather than watching. I didnt have a tv or tv license during last race of 2012 and heard everything play for play in great detail. you could try nowtv / skygo sports bundle but it can be pricey

At least the channel four commentating team is pretty good, with Webber and Coulthard. Wish they still had Eddie Jordan on for every race though - he could always provide a really good view on how a team would behave from all his experience. All the #GoGoGo nonsense annoys me too.

:rofl: Haha same, cant stand those hashtags!
Original post by James A
Agreed about Giovinazzi, was so close to Ericcsson who proved a match for someone like Nasr back in 2016 on one lap speed.

what a lot of people dont realise is antonio almost won GP2 (now f2) last year...in his rookie season and he was leading the championship going into the final rounds in abu dhabi (sadly he didnt have the machine under him in abu dhabi and gasly was able to turn a deficit of 7 points into the championship (4 of which he got by getting pole for the saturday race). If gio had parity in abu dhabi with sirotkin or marciello, he would have been the 1st person since hulkenberg in 2009 to win the GP2 title in his rookie season (the others who have done so are hamilton in 2006, rosberg in 2005). imo he looked stronger than vandorne and unlike stoffel gio can be punchy and go toe to toe with people.

anyhoo, anyone watching f2 this year? ART look strong and quite frankly im surprised red bull dropped albon last year as he finished runner up to lecrec and imo was more faster in races (whereas charles had more outright speed).

I thought ben edwards and coulthard were commentators?

webber and his fellow square face are co-lead anchors with (shudders) steve jones.
Original post by quasa
what a lot of people dont realise is antonio almost won GP2 (now f2) last year...in his rookie season and he was leading the championship going into the final rounds in abu dhabi (sadly he didnt have the machine under him in abu dhabi and gasly was able to turn a deficit of 7 points into the championship (4 of which he got by getting pole for the saturday race). If gio had parity in abu dhabi with sirotkin or marciello, he would have been the 1st person since hulkenberg in 2009 to win the GP2 title in his rookie season (the others who have done so are hamilton in 2006, rosberg in 2005). imo he looked stronger than vandorne and unlike stoffel gio can be punchy and go toe to toe with people.

anyhoo, anyone watching f2 this year? ART look strong and quite frankly im surprised red bull dropped albon last year as he finished runner up to lecrec and imo was more faster in races (whereas charles had more outright speed).

Yeah fair point, I haven't watched that much GP2 (used to watch it more in 2008). Should be interesting to see how Gio fares against others tomorrow (a damp race would be nice as it tends to equalise the cars a little)
Cars are much faster but the race has been fairly boring so far. Shame about Ricciardo encountering several issues, especially with it being his home race.

Vettel seems much more happy with his Ferrari though compared to Hamilton in his Mercedes.
Results for Australian GP (great result if your @quasa (I tagged myself, I know), @z33, @Robbo-92)

1)Sebastian Vettel
2) Lewis Hamilton + 9.975 secons
3) Valtteri Bottas + 11.250 seconds
4) Kimi Raikkonen + 22.393 seconds
5) Max Vestappen + 28.827 seconds
6) Felipe Massa + 1 minute 23.386 seconds
7)Sergio Perez + 1 lap
8) Carlos Sainz +1 lap
9)Daniil Kyvat + 1 lap
10) Esteban Ocon + 1 lap
11) Nico Hulkenberg + 1 lap
12) Antonio Giovinazzi + 2 laps
13) Stoffel Vandoorne + 2 laps

Fastest Lap: 1:26.538 by Kimi Raikkonen (slower than lap record from 2004 but faster than 2016 fastest lap by 2.459 seconds).

DNF:
Fernando Alonso (damage)
Kevin Magnussen (Suspension)
Lance Stroll (Mechanical)
Daniel RIcciardo (mechanical / engine related)
Marcus Ericsson (power unit-related issue)
Jolyon Palmer (Braking problems)
Romain Grosjean (Water leak during race)

analysis to follow
(edited 7 years ago)
Drivers Standings:
1) Sebastian Vettel -25 points
2) Lewis Hamilton -18 points
3) Valtteri Bottas - 15 points
4) Kimi Raikkonen - 12 points
5) Max Vestappen - 10 points
6) Felipe Massa - 8 points
7) Sergio Perez - 6 points
8) Carlos Sainz Jr -4 points
9) Daniil Kvyat -2 points