The Student Room Group

Fed up doctor who really just wants to work

I am an IMG who is interested in applying for an FY1 job, now since I am eligible for full reg the UKFPO does not apply to me.
My question is, how can I apply for an FY1 job?

I know that I can go into F2 standalone but I think I need to do F1 as I need to improve some skills. (Although worst-case scenario, I will apply for F2 standalone and hope they will let me do a month of observation-ship to learn whatever I need to learn🤦🏻)

I would deeply appreciate ANY guidance!
I'd also like to know of other IMGs (non-EU with an EU degree) who are in the same boat as me.
I was not able to find information specific to my situation, but I know I am not alone.

Here is my call to all Non-EU IMGs with EU degrees, let's unite! 😆
Original post by Anonymous
I am an IMG who is interested in applying for an FY1 job, now since I am eligible for full reg the UKFPO does not apply to me.

I know that I can go into F2 standalone but I think I need to do F1 as I need to improve some skills. (Although worst-case scenario, I will apply for F2 standalone and hope they will let me do a month of observation-ship to learn whatever I need to learn🤦🏻)

I'd also like to know of other IMGs (non-EU with an EU degree) who are in the same boat as me.
I was not able to find information specific to my situation, but I know I am not alone.

The f1 is effectively the last year of medical school in the UK, hence the provisional licence bit. It is part of statutory law and managed by the GMC. There is no way of doing f1 with a full licence.

However, many trusts have locally employed doctors working at f1 level. The adverts usually are out about now on nhs jobs. Apply for one of these trust doctor posts. Most trusts will link you in to the trust level foundation teaching, give you a non training grade access to Horus [the foundation eportfolio ]

Then apply for standalone f2.
Reply 2
Original post by HHaricot
The f1 is effectively the last year of medical school in the UK, hence the provisional licence bit. It is part of statutory law and managed by the GMC. There is no way of doing f1 with a full licence.

However, many trusts have locally employed doctors working at f1 level. The adverts usually are out about now on nhs jobs. Apply for one of these trust doctor posts. Most trusts will link you in to the trust level foundation teaching, give you a non training grade access to Horus [the foundation eportfolio ]

Then apply for standalone f2.

Thank you for your reply! So the key words I should search for in NHS jobs would be "trust level f1" ? And are these posts usually 6months or a year? Thanks again!
Hello,

I was in your position (except im a British Citizen who went abroad)

I highly recommend FY1 trust grade position (FY2 is a big step up straight from med school) - it is very frustrating to apply for these, it took me 35+ applications to successfully get a non training trust grade FY1 post. Ensure you have ILS/ALS done in UK, and some evidence/hx of teaching + research.

Then apply for FY2 standalone, I recently matched into a pretty decent set of rotations in the Oxford Deanery - this pathway is the one i'd recommend.

Search in nhsjobs, "FY1/foundation year 1". Also calling hospitals you'd like to go is worth a shot too, I know someone who got a non training FY1 post from that.
Reply 4
Hello,

I highly recommend FY1 trust grade position (FY2 is a big step up straight from med school) - it is very frustrating to apply for these, it took me 35+ applications to successfully get a non training trust grade FY1 post. Ensure you have ILS/ALS done in UK, and some evidence/hx of teaching + research.

Then apply for FY2 standalone, I recently matched into a pretty decent set of rotations in the Oxford Deanery - this pathway is the one i'd recommend.

Search in nhsjobs, "FY1/foundation year 1". Also calling hospitals you'd like to go is worth a shot too, I know someone who got a non training FY1 post from that.

Thank you for your response! Around what month would I expect to find something on NHS jobs? Currently, I can't seem to find anything on their websit.
You can also sign up with an agency who may be able to source an f1 year for you.
Reply 6
You can also sign up with an agency who may be able to source an f1 year for you.

could you recommend an agency (that is legit and not shady lol) please? :smile:
Thank you for your response! Around what month would I expect to find something on NHS jobs? Currently, I can't seem to find anything on their websit.

Pretty much from now, but probably when you see on the ukfpo reserve list thread that there is movement and they are starting to get jobs. Because the likelihood is that trusts have been asked to delay their trust doctor f1 whilst ukfpo sees how many extra places it needs for the reserve list.
You can set up an alert on nhs Jobs.
Suggest ‘f1’ or ‘foundation’ or just ‘trust doctor’
Reply 8
Original post by HHaricot
Pretty much from now, but probably when you see on the ukfpo reserve list thread that there is movement and they are starting to get jobs. Because the likelihood is that trusts have been asked to delay their trust doctor f1 whilst ukfpo sees how many extra places it needs for the reserve list.
You can set up an alert on nhs Jobs.
Suggest ‘f1’ or ‘foundation’ or just ‘trust doctor’

Thank you so much, you've been a great help! 🌻
I have seen it before when an IMG who was employed as as FY2 was struggling, they talked to their supervisors and were moved 'down' to an FY1 post. Not sure how common it is, but I've seen it.

I've also seen plenty of IMGs go straight into FY2 and got by without a problem. Getting used to the admin and medical culture is tough, but people do it all the time. If an observer-ship is available I'd definitely recommend it though.
Original post by nexttime
I have seen it before when an IMG who was employed as as FY2 was struggling, they talked to their supervisors and were moved 'down' to an FY1 post. Not sure how common it is, but I've seen it.

I've seen this happen quite a lot.
Reply 11

Just interested in an update of what happened
Reply 12
Hello,

Can I ask how long you stayed in your FY1 post?

Same case here, Non EU IMG with EU degree. Started applying for Non training Fy1 jobs since this month, did not get a single reply yet.
Reply 14
Hi may I ask how long it took you to find a FY1 trust job after all? I am in your position this year :smile: thank you
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #4
Same case here, Non EU IMG with EU degree. Started applying for Non training Fy1 jobs since this month, did not get a single reply yet.

Hi, I am in a similar position to you currently.
I am UK national but studied MBBS abroad and graduated in June 2023. I began doing an internship abroad as well, however Ihave taken a break and returned to the UK due to extenuating circumstance regarding my mother's health. I have missed the FY1 deadline for 2024 and will have to apply for 2025. My Plab 1 is in on Feb 15 2024. Do you have any advice for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending