The Student Room Group

F1 2017 season chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Notes / Analysis:

For the 1st time in a very long time, mercedes and hamilton have been pushed to the limit. Virtually all the top 10 (minus Kvyat) pitted once but hamilton pitted a few laps before vettel due to him being unable to escape the ferrari (essentially hamilton ran out of ultrasofts due to the pace of the ferrari and had to pit slightly earlier than expected due to vettel gaining over a second in the previous lap and a bit- according to lewis he just pitted a lap early but it was still a few before vettel) and ended up stuck behind verstappen after his pit stop. Vettel just about managed to come out infront of hamilton and verstappen and both were attacking him into the 2nd drs zone / turn 3. once vettels tyres warmed up however he was able to pull away.

Bottas was a lot faster than people expected and was prettymuch the fastest man on circuit post pitstops. Unfortunately he was unable to catch and pass hamilton but still finished a respectable 1.275 seconds behing Lewis.

whilst on the topic of mercs catching, it seems the issue they have had since 2014 has been amplified ie mercs are very susceptible to turbulence behind another car as hamilton on fresh tyres was unable to pass verstappen on used ultrasofts. in comparisson, the ferrari was able to stay close to the mercs and not be too adversely affected by turbulence (minus vettel almost collecting the barrier in the last corner on lap 2).

Albert park surprise surprise didnt have much overtaking as the cars were wider + the circuit is notorious for being bad for overtaking. that being said however the cars were able to follow closely to each other (not as good as 2012 - 2014 but better than pre-2012).

Raikkonen had setup issues so was unable to challenge the top 3 and was close to verstappen in terms of speed. verstappen had obvious brake issues developing towards the end of the race otherwise he would have finished closer to Kimi.

Surprisingly no safety car and rather unsually no lunatic driving / driver penalties today (thus the fairly boring race).

Kvyat could have finished 7th or 8th but developed an "engine air" issue late in the race which needed topping up in the pits.

Ocon, hulkenberg and Alonso had an interesting scrap for 10th place and involved a double overtake on alonso going into turn 1 (force india and renault seemingly able to follow cars but perez did say overtaking is a lot harder if you are a second in time difference)

Giovinazzi was the highest place rookie but he did inherit a lot of places (also had the poorest start on the grid).

the only accident of the race was magnussen t-boning ericsson into a gravel trap. somehow both cars made it out of the trap and continued until both had issues.

Vandoorne may have finished ahead of giovinazzi but had an electronic glitch that required sorting out.

Both Ferraris had rather poor starts (by their standards) and almost lost places to Bottas and Verstappen at the start.

Too early to tell who will be good and wont be but game on 2017.

For the 1st time since 2013,a team and driver that isn't Mercedes /driving for mercedes is leading the constructors and drivers championships.
Original post by quasa
Results for Australian GP (great result if your @quasa (I tagged myself, I know), @z33, @Robbo-92)

1)Sebastian Vettel
2) Lewis Hamilton + 9.975 secons
3) Valtteri Bottas + 11.250 seconds
4) Kimi Raikkonen + 22.393 seconds
5) Max Vestappen + 28.827 seconds
6) Felipe Massa + 1 minute 23.386 seconds
7)Sergio Perez + 1 lap
8) Carlos Sainz +1 lap
9)Daniil Kyvat + 1 lap
10) Esteban Ocon + 1 lap
11) Nico Hulkenberg + 1 lap
12) Antonio Giovinazzi + 2 laps
13) Stoffel Vandoorne + 2 laps

Fastest Lap: 1:26.538 by Kimi Raikkonen (slower than lap record from 2004 but faster than 2016 fastest lap by 2.459 seconds).

DNF:
Fernando Alonso (damage)
Kevin Magnussen (Suspension)
Lance Stroll (Mechanical)
Daniel RIcciardo (mechanical / engine related)
Marcus Ericsson (power unit-related issue)
Jolyon Palmer (Braking problems)
Romain Grosjean (Water leak during race)

analysis to follow

Also a Seb fan :rofl: SO HAPPY!
Original post by ravioliyears
Also a Seb fan :rofl: SO HAPPY!

did not know you watched f1 :lol:
Reply 43
Official race highlights:

[video="youtube;R3cfJCOSq8Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q[/video]

Every year since 2008 I have correctly predicted the winner of the F1 championship before the first race of the season. I predicted Sebastien Vettel this year, so I'm hoping to make it 10/10
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's wait and see. Testing looked ominous regarding ferraris pace but Merc have sorted out some issues. The big questions are a) can Ferrari match mercedes' development and b) can the cars overtake once they are close without drs
Original post by Kyx
Official race highlights:

[video="youtube;R3cfJCOSq8Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q[/video]

Every year since 2008 I have correctly predicted the winner of the F1 championship before the first race of the season. I predicted Sebastien Vettel this year, so I'm hoping to make it 10/10
Naturally delighted with the result, once upon a time I would have jumped in and tried to give my own analysis of the race/teams/drivers but my time on this site seems relatively low at the moment and I only come to discuss F1 :smile:

Its great that for the first time since 2010 we might actually have multiple reasonably matched cars for the drivers to race in, 2010 was a fantastic season because you had Vettel, Alonso, Button, Hamilton, Webber all fighting for wins/podiums. This season could be similar with Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Bottas, Ricciardo and Verstappen. Red Bull do seem a bit away from Ferrari and Mercedes at the moment so who knows when they will start challenging for podiums/wins.

Overall it wasn't really a great race, not much overtaking but I can overlook that for now as Vettel and Ferrari are leading the championships! Really hope Vettel and Hamilton will duel it out over the season though, it'd be so much better than another season of domination, unless its red domination, then I'll let it slide for just one more season! :biggrin: Just kidding, we need a good race for the WDC this year.
Original post by quasa
did not know you watched f1 :lol:

Yuuussssss ofc!
Original post by Robbo-92
Naturally delighted with the result, once upon a time I would have jumped in and tried to give my own analysis of the race/teams/drivers but my time on this site seems relatively low at the moment and I only come to discuss F1 :smile:

Its great that for the first time since 2010 we might actually have multiple reasonably matched cars for the drivers to race in, 2010 was a fantastic season because you had Vettel, Alonso, Button, Hamilton, Webber all fighting for wins/podiums. This season could be similar with Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Bottas, Ricciardo and Verstappen. Red Bull do seem a bit away from Ferrari and Mercedes at the moment so who knows when they will start challenging for podiums/wins.

Overall it wasn't really a great race, not much overtaking but I can overlook that for now as Vettel and Ferrari are leading the championships! Really hope Vettel and Hamilton will duel it out over the season though, it'd be so much better than another season of domination, unless its red domination, then I'll let it slide for just one more season! :biggrin: Just kidding, we need a good race for the WDC this year.

completely agree. Iv decided to do mini analysis/ notes on the thread (wont go in depth as that will be too complicated/ boring
Original post by quasa
completely agree. Iv decided to do mini analysis/ notes on the thread (wont go in depth as that will be too complicated/ boring

While I imagine some people might find it boring it's probably the last thing I'd find boring! The technical side is one of the reasons I love the sport so much. Obviously I don't fully understand it all but I find myself researching things to do with F1 when I haven't got anything better to do!
Reply 49
Vettel and Ferrai looked impressive yesterday, hopefully there will a battle between Ferrari and Mercedes. No more dominance from Mercedes please!!!!!!!!!
Can anyone shed some light on why Kvyat needed air filled in his car or something like that? He would have finished ahead of sainz if it wasn't for the extra pitstop at the end.

Great analysis from everyone above, I'm glad we got a small community of like minded (f1 fans) people on tsr!
Reply 51
Loving the new rear wings and tyres. Beauty has been restored to F1 cars.
Original post by James A
Can anyone shed some light on why Kvyat needed air filled in his car or something like that? He would have finished ahead of sainz if it wasn't for the extra pitstop at the end.

Great analysis from everyone above, I'm glad we got a small community of like minded (f1 fans) people on tsr!

i suspect it is something to do with he pneumatic valves (I know pneumatic valves are technically hydraulic operated valves va spring valves but you do need air in the system). I remember in 2013 Grosjean kept having the same issue in races so it could be a renault-specific problem.

this thing happens a lot in endurance racing as Audi used to keep changing air + fluids in races (literally change canisters in the cockpit) and remember seeing the same in Toyota pitstops in WEC
forget sainz, he would be with
Original post by tmd12345
Well, here we go, another exciting F1 season is underway. Been following on-and-off since the days of Webber and Vettel dominating the scoreboards at RB, but this time I'm properly getting into it :smile: #hamiltonftw

I was a die hard Rosberg fan, but when he won it last year, I was happy to support Hamilton as well. So yeah, but I would love to see Botas win it!
Original post by James A

These cars millions of different systems running in the background. I believe unless you are working for Toro Rosso it will be hard to find what the issue was, but maybe Sky will talk about it. It seems he is having a decent year so far - he nearly lost the plot last year.
Original post by Robbo-92
While I imagine some people might find it boring it's probably the last thing I'd find boring! The technical side is one of the reasons I love the sport so much. Obviously I don't fully understand it all but I find myself researching things to do with F1 when I haven't got anything better to do!

The engines are the most impressive technology on them- oh and the fact that the faster they go the more they stick to the ground. I mean for god sake the car produces Gs!!!!!!
Original post by Vitzz33
The engines are the most impressive technology on them- oh and the fact that the faster they go the more they stick to the ground. I mean for god sake the car produces Gs!!!!!!

kinda annoyed they havent upped the hybrid to 8mj (or at least 6mj) as it is doable with current tech without extra weight (look at WEC). just imagine an extra 400 horsepower and 400lb/ft of torque to sort the men out from the boys.

also they should modify the engine regs to allow for any cylinder configuration up to 6 cylinders (still keep 1.6L capacity), change the fuel flow limits (more flow at higher revs than current engines + 80kg petrol/hr instead of 100kg/hour) + introduce hydrogen as a fuel (you may require twice the volume but hydrogen weighs an eighth of petrol AND produces 20% more power + no emissions - its a win-win fuel which needs more research and will benefit the road car industry / potentially attract more manufacturers).

the cars are already producing (near) 8gs + sky confirmed pre-season the braking is already up to 7G. I have a sneaking suspicion theyll be crippling the cars in the next 2 years to avoid going anywhere near 10g as that is the territory you need G suits for.

the main issue regarding overtaking is turbulence. I suspect is to do with aero appendiges / number of elements. I reckon the following needs to be done to improve following cars in turbulence:

- reduce the number of planes in the front wing to 2-3 and maybe increase the neutral zone

-minimise turning vanes in the diffuser as I noticed that since teams starting introducing mini vortex generators in the central area of the diffuser in 2014, the 2014 cars started becoming more suceptible to tubulence. Similarly, indycar drivers complaned of more turbulence when they introduced the 'domed' floors.

-decrease dirty downforce by reducing slots in endplates, blown wheels, etc

-re-introduce curved floors and maybe alter diffuser height. use a 2005/6 GP2 car or a 2018 indycar as a baseline for aero studies + work from there (alternatively use a WEC car circa 2015 as a baseline - that being said this will be a problem as a)they are closed cockpit vs open and suffer less from tyre wake/ squirt; and b) 4WD vs RWD).
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit late to the party and missed the race on sunday:frown: as i forgot it started then:angry: thought it started next week:colondollar:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
A bit late to the party and missed the race on sunday:frown: as i forgot it started then:angry: thought it started next week:colondollar:

Hahha "When she's hot and likes F1" love it! When it gets to Monaco I do more bird watching than F1... if you know what I am mean
Original post by toonervoustotalk

hey dude, hows it going? hows the road to pharmacy coming along (turns out @James A is a 3rd year MPharm student in Reading).

Quick Reply

Latest