The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm about to apply for MA's in English Literature, and for all the courses I've seen (and I think I've looked at every bloody uni website in existence), none of them stipulate that you had to have done a dissertation. Usually they ask you to send in an example of your academic writing of around 3,000 words. I imagine it would be handy to have done a dissertation so you can talk a little bit about it in your PS if it is relavent to the MA, but as I said, I haven't come across anywhere that specifically mentions it (oxbridge included).
Reply 2
no.
Reply 3
Amelie
I'm thinking of studying with the Open University for anundergraduate English Literature degree although it doesn't involve completing a dissertation at any point. Would this prevent me from applying to some places such as Cambridge for postgraduate courses?

Definitely not. As steerpike said, most universities will ask for samples of written work when you apply for English MA's (although some don't :s-smilie:), but it can be any written work that's relevant to the MA you're applying for. As a matter of fact, a lot of universities have word limits for written work that would make it impossible to use your dissertation - Leeds want a mere 2,000 words, for example.
Cambridge specifically ask for a piece of "academic writing" between 5,000-7000 words, which is close to dissertation-length, but I doubt they'd have a problem with your sending in two shorter essays (although you might want to contact the faculty before you apply to explain why you're doing this).

In other words, you'll be fine in that respect.:smile:
Reply 4
As the others have siad it depends on the course - but its definitely not mandatory. I completed my English degree at OU and applied for MA at Queens Belfast. They asked for 3000 word specimen of work. Dont let the OU inferiorty complex get you down. It not the case.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Reply 6
i didnt write an undergrad dissertation and got on various masters courses. interestingly, i was never asked to provide examples of work, so it mut be an english thing (?)
Reply 7
The Boosh
i didnt write an undergrad dissertation and got on various masters courses. interestingly, i was never asked to provide examples of work, so it mut be an english thing (?)

Possibly. It also differs between universities. Some English departments (like Sussex or Queen Mary's) don't ask for any written work with MA applications. I suppose it saves them time...

Latest

Trending

Trending