The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You're starting AS level Year 12? If so, then you should be absolutely fine and I wouldn't worry. You'll be able to catch up. I'm not sure about AQA but the first couple of chapters of C1 are really easy.

Missing the first couple of weeks of ANY course won't affect your grade, believe me. Last year I entered psychology 3 weeks after the course had started (dropped geog) and ended up dropping 19 marks out of 300 UMS.

You'll be fine.
U r worrying over maths..i just started AS physics after dropping economics..

C1 is easy.no worries...try to study from ur text book..u will be fine.
Reply 3
Yeah you will be fine, most of C1 early stuff is recap of GCSE. And im sure your teacher won't mind helping you during lunches, after school etc.
Reply 4
will i be fine? i was talking to some of my friends doing maths and they said they have actually covered a pretty large amount - i dont get it, everyone on here talks about how maths a level is so easy and so i assume i should be ok with my A at gcse but looking in the text books it does look pretty bad - or is it ok when it is all taught to you? they seem to be discouraging me from doing it, but i dont know if thats because they are sick of me talking about a levels constantly or because they genuinely think i will do crap/struggle if i change lol
Reply 5
if you got an A at GCSE it should be fine. anyway, you'll probably go over it again, and if not, you could just ask what chapters you missed and do them in your own time.
Reply 6
bindymackenzie
will i be fine? i was talking to some of my friends doing maths and they said they have actually covered a pretty large amount - i dont get it, everyone on here talks about how maths a level is so easy and so i assume i should be ok with my A at gcse but looking in the text books it does look pretty bad - or is it ok when it is all taught to you? they seem to be discouraging me from doing it, but i dont know if thats because they are sick of me talking about a levels constantly or because they genuinely think i will do crap/struggle if i change lol

You have to remember, most of the people on here are quite intelligent, they do not show an accurate representation of all students.
Saying that, C1 is pretty easy, but i don't know whether thats just because i was taught it well... Its just a matter of doing lots and lots and lots of questions, until you have seen all possible questions they could ask :smile:
Reply 7
put it this way; i got an E in core 2 (40/100, yes I'm retaking that :P) but in core 1 I got 91. for me at least, it was easy
C1 is pretty easy, which is your first examined module it's basically like GCSE, it's known as the "bridging" module so you should indeed be fine.
Reply 9
well it looks i wont be taking it after all, apparently i missed a serious amount of work and my teacher seems pretty reluctant to take me on, and suggested i stick with psychology and possibly take as maths next year
i think i said the wrong thing by telling him i only wanted to take on maths up to as level, but a2 maths seems too hard! lol, oh well, its probably for the best, i would say i am average at maths, but not amazing which it seems like you have to be to do well at the whole a level, though as seems easier, i kind of wish i had changed sooner but yeah, i probably would have struggled later in the course doing the c2 stuff

anyway, thanks for all your replies!
bindymackenzie
so i asked my old maths teacher if it was possible to change to maths and he said probably but he didnt know how i would cope with the work load from missing lessons and that the course is pretty hard - just wondering has anyone managed to do this as in change to maths after a couple of weeks and get a decent grade?:tsr2:

It's easy enough in the first few weeks, especially if u've got an A or A* at GCSE.
all we've dun is went over the more difficult concepts at GCSE that are 'assumed' knowledge at A-Level:
Rearraging formula
Quadratics with the formula, completing the square,
harder simultaneous equations.

Not that hard.

:suitc: :suitd: :tsr2: :suitd: :suitc:
Reply 11
How far has the class moved along in three weeks?

At the school I’m at, all we’ve done so far is Chapter 1 and 5 (Edexcel), which isn’t a lot and can be easily caught up if you work hard over the weekend.
^woah - you are doing a lot of as levels

i cant remember exactly what they had done, but in stats they done the whole factorial thing? and permuations, and finding the gradient and more historgrams and standard deviation, oh yeah, and surds and more difficult algebra

i dont think it seems that bad and i probably could catch up on the work but the teacher i spoke to seemed reluctant to take me on because i think he thought i only wanted to change because psychology seemed pretty **** at the moment, i actually quite miss maths strangely enough so i probably will pick it up for as next year, but yeah it doesnt look like the school would let me change so unfortunately it looks i will just have to leave it
Reply 13
It’s not really that many when you think about it; I’m fluent in French, and everyone is being entered for General Studies but there’ll be no work.

Regarding the AS/A-Level Maths... it’s up to you. The work they will have done so far isn’t a lot and can be easily caught up if you spend some time on it and do all the example questions found in your textbook. Often you’ll also find Review Exercises in your textbook which can be quite helpful.

Best of luck though whatever you decide.
Reply 14
You could probably miss 1/3 of the year hehe as As maths is reallly easy!!!! We did it in 2/3 months
I missed a year of it and now im well ontop of A2 so 3 weeks is nothing =]
nothing is hard if u love what ur studying
for some personal reason, i might have to start furthur maths after 3 weeks of college...i will knw tomorrow frm my college...
Reply 18
its no prob .. C1 is aint a nightmare ... start doin it u'll be able to finish in no time ..
yeah, well i think will pick up maths next year as they probably wont let me change now and i am probably too crap to do A2 anyway + my friends who did AS maths this year can help me next year and another + is that i will have 2 AS levels and 3 A2s so hopefully that will make me look slightly good to admissions tutors, even though i bet most of the kids at my nerdy school will take all there 100 a levels on to A2 so my measly 3 will look poor, but the general population take 3 A2s and 1 AS so it should be all good and thats all universities really want so..

Latest