The Student Room Group

Part-Time Engineer, Part-Time Procrastinator - A GYG Journey

At last! :banana:

It’s been a long time coming, but the time is finally here for me to get my head back in gear for studying and pick up from where I left off.

For some background, I’ve been around on TSR since my GCSE days (yes, I’m getting old). I’ve had a go at a blog or two in the past, especially when I went through GCSEs. After my GCSEs, much to the dismay of some of my teachers, I went onto a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Engineering and quite frankly, it was the best decision I ever made.

Here’s some academic background (if you'd like to know!):

Spoiler

After completing a HND, I had a few years off studying. I welcomed the extra time I got back :yes: especially after trying to juggle a full-time job, study, and the pandemic (which didn’t help anyone). Then, earlier this year, I got confirmation through to start a part-time Aerospace Engineering Degree.

It feels like the right time to pick up studying again (famous last words!). I suppose my only reservation is being able to juggle everything. I’ll still be working full time whilst going to uni one day per week. It’s going to be a lot, and I’ve had a track record of leaving things to the last minute in the past (oops :colondollar:), so we’ll see how that goes.

So yeah, that’s me and where I’m at. I’d really welcome any tips on how to be a student again - and if anyone has any questions about apprenticeships, BTECs or engineering feel free to ask, I’ll try to help! I'm always happy to chat about those! :yeah:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by brainzistheword

It’s been a long time coming, but the time is finally here for me to get my head back in gear for studying and pick up from where I left off.

For some background, I’ve been around on TSR since my GCSE days (yes, I’m getting old). I’ve had a go at a blog or two in the past, especially when I went through GCSEs. After my GCSEs, much to the dismay of some of my teachers, I went onto a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Engineering and quite frankly, it was the best decision I ever made.

Spoiler

After completing a HND, I had a few years off studying. I welcomed the extra time I got back :yes: especially after trying to juggle a full-time job, study, and the pandemic (which didn’t help anyone). Then, earlier this year, I got confirmation through to start a part-time Aerospace Engineering Degree.

It feels like the right time to pick up studying again (famous last words!). I suppose my only reservation is being able to juggle everything. I’ll still be working full time whilst going to uni one day per week. It’s going to be a lot, and I’ve had a track record of leaving things to the last minute in the past (oops :colondollar:), so we’ll see how that goes.

So yeah, that’s me and where I’m at. I’d really welcome any tips on how to be a student again - and if anyone has any questions about apprenticeships, BTECs or engineering feel free to ask, I’ll try to help! I'm always happy to chat about those! :yeah:

Hello! :hello: It's great to hear you took a different route to get where you are and it's all worked out :smile: Your degree sounds super interesting, what modules are you taking this year?
Original post by Pwca
Hello! :hello: It's great to hear you took a different route to get where you are and it's all worked out :smile: Your degree sounds super interesting, what modules are you taking this year?

Hello! :wavey:

This year I'm taking Aircraft Propulsion, Further Maths, Professional Engineering Management, Avionic Systems and Flight Control Systems :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Hello! :wavey:

This year I'm taking Aircraft Propulsion, Further Maths, Professional Engineering Management, Avionic Systems and Flight Control Systems :smile:

Oh wow, that sounds really challenging and really interesting!
Reply 4

Spoiler

Hi!

I've recently gone into sixth form (I'm a term in now) and have chosen kind of scattered BTECs but would love to go into a field like yours!

I'm doing Applied Science, Engineering and Criminology. I live near Filton, so a job opportunity is way more likely to strike me than it is anywhere else in England - but these are competitive fields to get into! :frown:

What advice would you give to someone looking to make themselves stand out in a CV if their options don't really compare to the desired maths and physics approach? Since I'm not doing maths nor physics and etcetera it will probably hinder my applications, but I still have the AS and Engineering so that could sort of make up for it, I guess?

What I'm trying to say is if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm deeply fascinated by the idea of anything aerospace or related, not being able to get into a field would be gutting. :frown:
Original post by ts-d1
Hi!

I've recently gone into sixth form (I'm a term in now) and have chosen kind of scattered BTECs but would love to go into a field like yours!

I'm doing Applied Science, Engineering and Criminology. I live near Filton, so a job opportunity is way more likely to strike me than it is anywhere else in England - but these are competitive fields to get into! :frown:

What advice would you give to someone looking to make themselves stand out in a CV if their options don't really compare to the desired maths and physics approach? Since I'm not doing maths nor physics and etcetera it will probably hinder my applications, but I still have the AS and Engineering so that could sort of make up for it, I guess?

What I'm trying to say is if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm deeply fascinated by the idea of anything aerospace or related, not being able to get into a field would be gutting. :frown:

Hey!

I appreciate you taking the time to comment here - I'll see what I can do to help :smile:

First off, I'd say your BTEC options sound really cool and varied! Yeah, they might not include the likes of maths and physics outright, but I wouldn't let that put you off. There's more than one way to demonstrate your skills and you might be surprised that sometimes enthusiasm and a willingness to learn can be worth more to employers than specific qualifications.

I've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind! They should help me direct my advice (as I can easily go off on tangents!).

How are you finding your BTECs so far?

Specifically in your BTEC Engineering - is there anything that you're enjoying or keen to study once you get to it?

What is your current plan after sixth form e.g. direct employment, degree, apprenticeship etc.? (If you've thought that far, but it's completely fine if you're open to all options.)

One thing I would say from the start is that even if your qualifications don't seem the most suited to a career in Engineering (or you feel that they might not be), there are other ways to build up your skillset or prove your passion for the sector. Could you do a project in your free time, or find a work experience placement, or even get involved in different Professional Engineering Institutes? If you're able to show an employer that you've gone above and beyond the classroom to try and gain experience then that would help you stand out.

I really do commend you for thinking ahead like you are. It can be so confusing to try and figure out the best choices for subjects, projects, etc. when it feels like some of them might limit your future career paths - but honestly, from someone who was in a very similar position to you post-GCSE, there's not really a wrong decision and no matter what combination of subjects you take now, there's always a way to make it work. It might just be a little bit different from usual.
September Round-Up

I’m almost a month late for this, but I thought it would be worth doing a summary of what happened in September, especially given it was the start of my degree and set the scene for my academic year.

And it’s been a mixed bag! :blushing:

Work-wise, there were some very long weeks and tasks that took a lot of brain power. I’ve never been great at shutting off after work, and I must say those weeks were particularly difficult. :vroam:

I also messed up my degree course dates :cry2: I was off on holiday for one week in September, and I was under the impression that I would only be missing the introductions and icebreakers. But I’d got it wrong. The introduction was the week before my holiday (which I then missed because I thought it was a normal work day) and it also meant I missed a full week of teaching. Luckily, it doesn’t sound like I missed too much in the first lessons so it turned out to be less of an issue than it felt in the moment. The only thing that missing those first few days hampered was my ability to get to know the others in the classes. I don’t really know anyone and I’m pretty much keeping myself to myself at the moment. It also means I haven’t really toured the campus and I’ve gotten lost more times than I can recount now. One tutor showed me to the library whilst I waited for my bus home, and I couldn’t find my way out of the building afterward! :dontknow: Luckily another tutor was passing and I had to ask for directions - though it was pretty obvious I had no idea where I was!

Aside from that, the degree days themselves have been somewhat more straightforward than I thought. We have one lesson in the morning 9-12 then another for 3 hours in the afternoon, followed by a tutorial and some other sessions. It means it’s quite a long day for me as I leave around 6am to travel, and usually only get home around 8/9pm even if I don’t stay behind to do any extra studying in the library. But content-wise, so far, I think I’m keeping up! :crossedf:

Alongside my studies, I’ve been trying so, so hard to look after myself and make more time for the things I need to do to be a functioning human. I’ve had varied success (as you’ll find out in my next update), but even simple things like taking healthier snacks for my breaks between lessons, or taking the breaks the tutor gives to stretch my legs rather than stare at my phone, have proved worthwhile. I think I’m still trying to get into the routine of having to put time in outside of lessons. Finding that time has been difficult around the day job and I haven’t quite been able to maximise my travel time in the way that I’d hoped :train: but so far I’ve managed to cover most of the study I’ve needed to, during the hours that I’m on campus. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep that up, but for now, I’m quite grateful that that’s the case.

So yeah, it’s been a bit of a bumpy introduction to degree life, but I’ve come out of September relatively unscathed! :dance:
Reply 7
Hey!

I appreciate you taking the time to comment here - I'll see what I can do to help :smile:

First off, I'd say your BTEC options sound really cool and varied! Yeah, they might not include the likes of maths and physics outright, but I wouldn't let that put you off. There's more than one way to demonstrate your skills and you might be surprised that sometimes enthusiasm and a willingness to learn can be worth more to employers than specific qualifications.

I've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind! They should help me direct my advice (as I can easily go off on tangents!).

How are you finding your BTECs so far?

Specifically in your BTEC Engineering - is there anything that you're enjoying or keen to study once you get to it?

What is your current plan after sixth form e.g. direct employment, degree, apprenticeship etc.? (If you've thought that far, but it's completely fine if you're open to all options.)

One thing I would say from the start is that even if your qualifications don't seem the most suited to a career in Engineering (or you feel that they might not be), there are other ways to build up your skillset or prove your passion for the sector. Could you do a project in your free time, or find a work experience placement, or even get involved in different Professional Engineering Institutes? If you're able to show an employer that you've gone above and beyond the classroom to try and gain experience then that would help you stand out.

I really do commend you for thinking ahead like you are. It can be so confusing to try and figure out the best choices for subjects, projects, etc. when it feels like some of them might limit your future career paths - but honestly, from someone who was in a very similar position to you post-GCSE, there's not really a wrong decision and no matter what combination of subjects you take now, there's always a way to make it work. It might just be a little bit different from usual.

Hi! Thanks for taking time out of your day to respond, it's really appreciated :smile:

I'm finding my BTECs to be interesting and engaging. They provide a practical approach to learning, which I appreciate. I like that they emphasize real-world applications and hands-on experience. It's been a positive experience so far, but for the fields I'm considering I heavily doubt they'd be applicable. It's all a bit of a weird rollercoaster ride at the moment, especially having to adjust seeming sixth form is nothing like GCSE.

For the engineering aspect, I'm particularly enjoying the hands-on nature of this course. It's great to work on projects and learn about practical aspects of engineering. I'm looking forward to studying subjects like electrical circuits, mechanical principles, and CAD - but I'm struggling with the maths a little as most of it is long and time consuming :frown:

I'm still exploring my options, but I'm considering pursuing a degree in engineering after sixth form, maybe. I'm also open to apprenticeships or other routes. I want to keep my options open and gain as much practical experience as possible, since that would help me out the most as well as getting great grades :smile:

I have been helping out on a rebuild of a VW MK1 Caddy restoration, but the last time I helped out was around summertime and the progress is going slow (although I could include this in a personal statement and be able to show that I have the patience hehe)

I've never heard of Professional Engineering Institutes, I'll be sure to check them out!

To top it off, I can assure you it's super confusing figuring out what to do. This might change for me in the future and I might even regret going into a path like engineering; but if it's what I'm fascinated with I might as well give it a shot!

It's nice to hear that there's no wrong decision and that there are always ways to make things work, even if my qualifications don't seem like the traditional route into the field anyway. Thank you for your support and insights!
Original post by ts-d1
Hi! Thanks for taking time out of your day to respond, it's really appreciated :smile:

I'm finding my BTECs to be interesting and engaging. They provide a practical approach to learning, which I appreciate. I like that they emphasize real-world applications and hands-on experience. It's been a positive experience so far, but for the fields I'm considering I heavily doubt they'd be applicable. It's all a bit of a weird rollercoaster ride at the moment, especially having to adjust seeming sixth form is nothing like GCSE.

For the engineering aspect, I'm particularly enjoying the hands-on nature of this course. It's great to work on projects and learn about practical aspects of engineering. I'm looking forward to studying subjects like electrical circuits, mechanical principles, and CAD - but I'm struggling with the maths a little as most of it is long and time consuming :frown:

I'm still exploring my options, but I'm considering pursuing a degree in engineering after sixth form, maybe. I'm also open to apprenticeships or other routes. I want to keep my options open and gain as much practical experience as possible, since that would help me out the most as well as getting great grades :smile:

I have been helping out on a rebuild of a VW MK1 Caddy restoration, but the last time I helped out was around summertime and the progress is going slow (although I could include this in a personal statement and be able to show that I have the patience hehe)

I've never heard of Professional Engineering Institutes, I'll be sure to check them out!

To top it off, I can assure you it's super confusing figuring out what to do. This might change for me in the future and I might even regret going into a path like engineering; but if it's what I'm fascinated with I might as well give it a shot!

It's nice to hear that there's no wrong decision and that there are always ways to make things work, even if my qualifications don't seem like the traditional route into the field anyway. Thank you for your support and insights!

You’re very welcome! :smile:

I’m glad to hear you’re finding your BTEC courses interesting and that the practical aspects appeal to you. It’s early days in sixth form so don’t worry if you’re finding it quite a change from GCSE.

It sounds like you’re looking forward to most of your engineering course, and if CAD is a particular interest, perhaps there are some things you could do in your spare time to hone your skills. I know some CAD providers like AutoDesk provide free educational licenses for students to use at home if that’s something you want to do.

As someone who has recently plunged into the depth of engineering maths again, I can definitely relate to the feeling that they are lengthy and time-consuming! Is that the main reason you’re struggling with it? I only ask as usually with maths, it’s all about confidence and just practicing as much as possible, which will inevitably be painful to start with. If it’s a combination of that and other challenges, like getting your head around particular methods or understanding the questions, etc. then I might be able to offer other advice.

It’s good to know you’re still exploring all options, and if you’re keen on getting a degree then that’s great. I know it’s early days still, but if you wanted to take a look at some uni requirements for engineering courses, that would give you a great idea of whether your current modules will suffice or if you need to top it up with anything else. I’d also suggest looking into Degree Apprenticeships. You may have already come across them, but if you haven’t, they can be a great way to gain degree-level qualifications whilst working and gaining hands-on experience. Sometimes the entry requirements for apprenticeships are different from universities and therefore might suit your circumstances better. It would also mean you could avoid having to borrow your tuition fees and you’d be getting paid to do it (which is always a bonus!).

The VW MK1 Caddy Restoration sounds like a fantastic project and if I were you, I’d definitely be referencing that on your personal statement! If you can think of some examples of what you have gained through doing it, that would put you in a good position if you’re asked about it at interview (or even if other people ask you about it - as you never know where a conversation can lead!).

Professional Engineering Institutes can be a great way of networking and keeping up with latest advances in the industry. Some of the bigger groups are the likes of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), The Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). Admittedly some have more offerings for university students but there will be opportunities for sixth form/college students too. Sometimes they host careers fairs, or chances to present academic work and there are often local branches that hold lectures or trips.

You seem very open-minded about the options available to you - and that’s brilliant. Like you’ve said, even if engineering isn’t the thing for you, at least you’ll know once you’ve given it a shot. And one thing I’d say about the beauty of engineering is that there’s more than one role or sector you could explore. So even if the first job you get isn’t your thing, you could stick with engineering and tailor a role to better suit you :smile:
Original post by ts-d1

Hey, how are you getting on? :smile:
October Round-Up

Oh, October! What a month.*

I may have come out of September relatively unscathed but I well and truly face planted the ground in October.

Not long into the month, I ended up being signed off sick from work and that’s also meant I’ve not been attending my degree. The worst part is that the time I got signed off, was the time two assignments were being issued for my course - so the timing hasn’t been brilliant to say the least!*

I haven’t had the headspace to even look at the assignments in October, so they’ve kind of languished at the back of my mind. However, they’re due in December so I need to get my act together! Not to mention that in January I have a couple of exams, so I need to catch up on what I’ve missed and also revise for them…which is asking a lot considering I’ve missed more classes that I’ve attended so far this academic year.

But…

All is not lost.

GYG has helped me in the past, so I’m hoping it can again. Prepare yourselves for more frequent updates!*

The plan is to chunk the assignments up and target bits for different days, but I’ll be jumping around them a bit depending on my energy levels - so I won’t be working logically through assignment questions.

That’s the theory anyways, so I’d better start putting it into action… wish me luck!
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending