The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Job at York?

Hey all, I was just wondering how many people will be working during term-time when they go to York? I know its pretty much a neccessity to work during the holidays as the government is so skanky with their financial help, but i'm going to be looking to work during term aswell (6 hr/week minimum) to fund my social life... Does anyone else have similar plans?

I have also heard that the best time to apply for work is now.. the only way i can think to go about it is sending a CV to some big stores (like Argos or hotels in the city for example) and letting them know the situation... Obviously it would be even better to get some sort of work at the uni itself, but don't have a clue how to go about that until October... :confused:

Anyone else having similar thoughts? xxx
Reply 1
i am thinking of getting a job at york but it may be difficult to find somewhere flexible. Asda in Gloucester (where i am from) do a scheme where you can switch between asda in gloucester during holidays and wherever you want during term time. I guess many large stores will transfer you if you ask nicely
University of York
York
Reply 2
thegoose
i am thinking of getting a job at york but it may be difficult to find somewhere flexible. Asda in Gloucester (where i am from) do a scheme where you can switch between asda in gloucester during holidays and wherever you want during term time. I guess many large stores will transfer you if you ask nicely

im going to wait and see how it goes..if im beginning to have a serious lack of funds then ill get one
Reply 3
I work at Sainsbury's so hopefully there'll be one in York I can work at, if not, I'm fucked. (What, proper fucked?)
Reply 4
yeah i wondered as i'd like to get a job once there but how do the shops feel about you suddenly toddling off as christmas approaches?
Reply 5
Someguy
I work at Sainsbury's so hopefully there'll be one in York I can work at, if not, I'm fucked. (What, proper fucked?)

There is. It's quite a walk from the uni though - Foss Islands, if you want to look it up. Not sure about buses.
Reply 6
Or of course a short bus ride to the Monk's Cross Sainsburys
Reply 7
If you go to the york unijobs website you can search for available vacancies at york now. When you access the site it asks for your username and password. Your username is the same username as the one given out on that temporary university card we got sent, and your password is the last 6 numbers of the 'library number'. Quite a few vacancies on there! I've got dibs on the chocolate packer...
Reply 8
alastair
Or of course a short bus ride to the Monk's Cross Sainsburys

Never been. :tongue:

Went to the other one after going to that strange little shop in town that sells mead and other strange stuff. Can't remember what it's called.
Reply 9
++Hex++
Never been. :tongue:

Went to the other one after going to that strange little shop in town that sells mead and other strange stuff. Can't remember what it's called.

The Evil Eye? That's a bar but there's a shop in front of it a bit like you described, it sells Mead anyway.
Reply 10
miss pickle
The Evil Eye? That's a bar but there's a shop in front of it a bit like you described, it sells Mead anyway.

Nahh, wasn't evil eye. Somewhere in town near Sb's, anyway.
Reply 11
The most available and flexible job in York is bar work. I worked at a pub called
Nexus and the rota is totally flexible to your needs; 90% of the staff that work there are from both universities.

Pro: 1 pound staff drinks at both venues Mc Millans and Nexus (both owned by the same people); You can also get in for free at any York nightclub providing you have the latest wage slip with you. Queue jumping when there is a long wait on the weekend.

Con: 4.50 pounds minimum wage.
i work at waitrose in staines and have applied for a transfer to harrogate, but im a bit worried its too far to commute so i searched on the net and have an interview at the marriott in york
I work for Wetherspoons and am now a team leader. (woo!) Got myself a transferral to one of the wetherspoons in york......not starting till the 25th October once ive settled in! Only gonna do about 10 hours a week tho (1 shift) which is around £50 a week extra for me!

The extra money is a massive help! I started uni last year at durham but dropped out. I originally thought i wouldnt have time to work whilst i was there but was wrong. The extra money meant that my bank account was hardlyy dinted.....plus, working on the most anti-student nights meant that i never had to sacrifice my social life either.

Its a pretty good feeling being able to go out partying numerous nights a week and seeing your bank abalance continue to go up!

Anways....its upto you guys! All im gonna say is that a lil part time job goes a long way ! Believe me :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 14
Yeh but which course did you do/are you doing?
Yeh but which course did you do/are you doing?

When I was at Durham I was doing Law......around 15 hrs of lectures a week, plus 4 hrs tutorials, plus a minimum of 10hrs reading! Still had time for a part time job.

Hated law though.....only really did it cos i thought...."oo....thats where the money is"

Now, this time...when I come to York....im doing Molecular Cell Biology which is gonna be around 20 somethng hours a week.......still gonna have a part time job.

Hope that helps. Believe me...you can do it :wink:
Reply 16
ooh another mcber, I'm doing mcb myself :tongue:

But cool...I'm not sure if I'm going to be getting a job yet, wanted to see how the workload and money went.

Latest

Trending

Trending