The Student Room Group
I don't know what you are worrying about. Your UMS are fine, but you knew that really.

Why do you think some Cambridge colleges might be a soft touch on the UMS front?
Reply 2
Yes but in terms of Economics applicants there are some people with stunning UMS scores. I dont think any college is a soft touch on the UMS front, just that some colleges put more emphasis on UMS scores than others,
Reply 3
As the old saying goes, apply to a college you like rather than one you think you have a better chance of getting into.

Besides, at the end of the day, if you're good enough (in relation to the year's applicants) you'll get in.

Your UMS marks are fine, just concentrate on the interview.
Reply 4
This isn't generally advice I'd give to people, but if you're desperate, go for Fitz or Girton. They'll be less subscribed than the others, the competition will probably be of a lower standard etc etc
Reply 5
This isn't generally advice I'd give to people, but if you're desperate, go for Fitz or Girton. They'll be less subscribed than the others, the competition will probably be of a lower standard etc etc

Well according to the statistics on the website, the applicants to offers for Economics was 53:8 at Fitz and 59:9 at Girton, which is similar to pretty much any other college.
Your UMS is excellent!
Better than mine - I got 490 in History with an E in my coursework (V.****ed), 512 in politics, 500 in Law, and 508 in Geography. Thankgod for AS'.
Reply 8
El Mariachi
Well according to the statistics on the website, the applicants to offers for Economics was 53:8 at Fitz and 59:9 at Girton, which is similar to pretty much any other college.

Statistics don't tell the whole story, for History at Fitz last year the statistics are 25 applicants for two offers, making it one of the 'hardest' colleges to get into on statistics. Whereas in reality, those 23 applicants who weren't given offers were of such a low standard that they didn't even remotely warrant an offer.
Reply 9
Statistics don't tell the whole story, for History at Fitz last year the statistics are 25 applicants for two offers, making it one of the 'hardest' colleges to get into on statistics. Whereas in reality, those 23 applicants who weren't given offers were of such a low standard that they didn't even remotely warrant an offer.

Oh right, but is that not when the pool system comes into play? I suppose if the quality of applicants is lower and you do ok you'd seem more admittable (if that's a word?), but I'd expect admissions tutors to be able to distinguish between a good applicant and a relatively good applicant.
Reply 10
At the end of the day 'if you are good enough you will get in' as they say. Less prestigious colleges dont have to take you simply because you are in the top xx out of their applicants, they can always go to the pool.
Reply 11
JohnHeskins
At the end of the day 'if you are good enough you will get in' as they say. Less prestigious colleges dont have to take you simply because you are in the top xx out of their applicants, they can always go to the pool.

Yes. So you've answered your own question kind of..

Latest

Trending

Trending