The Student Room Group
fred86
that i can use to teach myself the sinh cosh tanh stuff, in p5 OCR I thinks, need it to be able to do my prepatory problems for engineers, thanks guys

if you ask on the maths forum i'm ssure someone will help - some of them are amazing (try elpaw and fermat)

jacob
Reply 2
thanks u v much :smile:
Reply 3
You don't even need a book, just learn:

sinh x = 0.5(e^x - e^-x)

cosh x = 0.5(e^x + e^-x)

tanh x = cosh x / sinh x

Then most of the trig identities, from sin/cos follow, but if you have a product of two sinh s then it usually becomes a minus. Observe:

(cos x)^2 + (sin x)^2 = 1

(cosh x)^2 - (sinh x)^2 = 1

d/dx cosh x = sinh x

d/dx sinh x = cosh x

If you're not sure of an identity, you can always go back to the definitions of sinh/cosh in terms of e^x, and prove them that way.
I bought a book called "Engineering Mathematics" which was recomended to me by several engineers.

The amazon link is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0333919394/qid=1093104942/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-5021330-8144401

It's a best seller and is really comprehensive.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Reply 5
thanks guys and thanks fishpaste just i don't even know what the sinh tanh and cosh are about or how you'd use them - will try get that book :smile:
Reply 6
i can get hold of the 1978 edition for £14 is this likely to be pretty much the same as on amazon for considerably more?
Reply 7
Although it's not the same syllabus, the Heinemann Edexcel P5 book also introduces hyperbolic functions, and it's not bad.

Latest