The Student Room Group

PS due tomorrow (Not even started)

Hey all,

I have been sadly informed today that my school expects the Personal Statements to be handed in tomorrow when we return from our current October break. This obviously causes me some problems as I have yet to even select a course yet.

However generally speaking I have narrowed my choices down to the following and would like to at least get a draft down on paper to hand in tomorrow.

Glasgow Caledonian University
Sports Management (BBCC)
Quantity Surveying (270 points)

Glasgow University
Leisure Management: Sports and Recreation (BCC)

I realize there are probably thousands of PS threads but can any give me a few pointers to begin with and also how long I should make my draft.

I am going on a coaching programme this evening so only really have say two hours or so of free time to do this.

Help would be appreciated,
Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Is quanitity surveying anything like Sports management?? I don't know how you can write a PS when your options are still so wide.
Reply 2
2 hours for a draft huh? Your draft should be full length or over - 4000 characters including spaces.

Begin by saying what it is that interests you that makes you want to do the course (difficult if you're not sure between sports and surverying perhaps) - giving some examples of what you understand the course to be about / contain and why that makes you want to do it.

Then pick a particular aspect to show your interest in it etc.

Then talk about your a levels - how you've liked them, what they've done for you, how they make you better and more suited to the course.

Finally put in a small (less that a quarter of your statement preffereably) section on your extra curriculars that are linked to the course and round off with what you think you'll get out of the university 'experience'.

I find a lot of statements go in this format.
Reply 3
BornUnderPunches
Is quanitity surveying anything like Sports management?? I don't know how you can write a PS when your options are still so wide.

Nope, not really but lets put that to the side as I can work around that and look at it from the Sports perspective.

Thanks above for the advice
Reply 4
Explain to your school that you are having difficulties chosing a course. Whatever you do please dont attempt to write a final draft of your personal statement within 2 hours!! And dont attempt to write a PS which will be used to apply for such different subjects
2 hours is no where near enough time for you to complete your personal statement.. but to help you get started and maybe get a rough draft done..
there is a whole thread of personal statement advice here..

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement

..and it also gives some good examples for different subjects, not too sure they have yours there.. but you may be able to find something similar to help you get started.

Good Luck. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Our teachers gave us really basic guidelines for writing our personal statements. We basically just got a brief list of what to write which went something like:

1. Why you have chosen your course,

2. Any relevant work experience etc.

3. Acheivements, skills, hobbies in school- like prefect, Duke of edinburgh, clubs you go to, school prisez you might have won etc

4. Acheivements, skills, hobbies outside school- um I can't think of many examples, but like in mine I had things like a drama course and stuff, and like playing musical instruments etc.

5. uhm, I think then we just got told to sum up why you would be a good person for the type of course you were applying to...or something

Sorry, my memory sucks. There are example personal statements on here, you should take a look at them. They are pretty useful.

Hope this has been even a bit useful!
it's only an internal deadline. just tell them you're not ready. then sit down and have a serious think about what course you wish to study and work from there.
well.. the important thing is to not rush it.
Your school may want it tomorow, but you have till January, so don't panic :smile:

Start by using the wiki guide:
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement

Don't think a draft will take too long.

Good luck. Remember to make it sound interesting and original, you need to pursuade them you love the subject (whichever you choose lol) and that you are somehow more special and talented than the other applicants :wink:
Reply 9
Even if you're not able to hand in a perfect draft of the ps by tomorrow, what is your school going to do, stop you applying? Why can't you just explain to your tutor that you're having difficulties in narrowing down your choices, and ask for a little extra time?
i wrote my draft in a day... but in 2 hours!! u must be crazy
Reply 11
If it's any help this is the format I did it in:

Intro - what to do, why, influences etc

Academics - subject info useful stuff

2 paragraphs on work experience/volunteer/other stuff (eg doe) and how it has benefitted you

Other school/college stuff eg open evening

Small paragraph on social side

final paragraph summing your points up

I also jotted down a bullet pointed list of what I'm going to stick in, then just putting sentences in between the points.
you need to decide what course to apply for before you start writting a statement tho!!!!
Structure:

I want to study Sports Management because...

Something I particularly want to look at in Sport Managament is... (a particular sport? etc)

I have done this in the past to do with Sport Management... (Things you've done at school/clubs, etc. relating to sports?)

My A-levels will help me in Sports Management... (i.e. PE? etc.)

I have taken part in... (plays/clubs/DoE/etc.)

Word it differently, though.
Reply 14
Thanks for the quick helpful replies people, it is greatly appreciated.

I know people think two hours is nothing but I have never really been the type to let things drag on when I eventually get started and I'm sure I shall be able to get something together.

Of course I will not hand this in and I'll ask for a meeting with a career adviser and my head of year first thing.

Am I correct in saying if I get something together someone on here is able to check it out without fear of plagiarism.
Reply 15
Yes - all the PS helpers in the PS helper forum are already at uni and therefore would have no need to plagiarise your statement, and everything you post within that forum will stay within that forum, hidden from other people.
Reply 16
Smashing, that sounds great.

Well thanks for the help and I'll get back to you on how I am getting on.
Reply 17
I'm confused about one part ?

Currently I am under the assumption that the PS covers all choices at all Uni's. If so how do I relate to both Sports Management and Leisure Management: Sports and Recreation. Of course the common the factor is Sports but I'm still uncertain
Reply 18
Surely sports management and leisure management: sports and recreation are very similar. I dont know the exact subject descriptions but both seem to involve management, and both involve sports.

Talk about your dreams of running a leisure centre?! :wink:
Reply 19
Nogueira
Nope, not really but lets put that to the side as I can work around that and look at it from the Sports perspective.

Thanks above for the advice

Right, I can see that working:

It was when I was going on a that I knew I wanted to study Sports Management, and also Quantity Surveying. You see, Quantity Surveying is a lot like Sports Management...

History + Politics/IR/WS
Philosophy + [Anything]
Classics + [Almost Anything]
BA + Sports Management
PPE

Combinations like those work. You need to make up your mind and at least find something you enjoy, even if it isn't a specific course. If you want to go into management, but not sure whether to go for a BA or Sports Management, then apply for both but focus on general management. You're going to shoot yourself in the foot with such a broad selection.

Whatever you do, I certainly wouldn't put 2 paragraphs on work experience/extra curriculars. That's far too much unless you're applying for Medicine. Saying you got the DoE and saying you like hiking is something nice to talk about for 30 seconds at an interview, but will not really tell you why you are going to be good for Quantity Surveying. "It taught me leadership skills." Well that's great on a CV if you're going for an admin job, but it doesn't really say why you'd pay attention in a lecture.

Latest

Trending

Trending