The Student Room Group

Ubc admission requirements

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Alester12
Hi everyone, I really want to apply to UBC for next year as I’m taking a gap year. I want to apply for the commerce course however I did not take maths a level. However I got an 7 (A) in GCSE (considering I was the first year to take the new hard ones). I took business, English lit and psychology at a levels and got A* psychology, A business and B in English. How important is the A level maths and do you think I can apply without it? Thanks

I’m not an expert but I could tell you what I think. Commerce is getting really competitive at UBC ( if you are applying to sauder), I would def think that they would at least require AS math if you’re doing IAL. Do email them though and ask the admissions office.
Original post by OMG354
I’m not an expert but I could tell you what I think. Commerce is getting really competitive at UBC ( if you are applying to sauder), I would def think that they would at least require AS math if you’re doing IAL. Do email them though and ask the admissions office.

Thanks! What’s IAL?
Reply 42
Original post by Alester12
Thanks! What’s IAL?

International Advanced Level,, ( outside the UK ). Go on UBC’s website and view their entry requirements for your course
Original post by Inkfigment
Hi, I go to UBC Vancouver and I did A-levels. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about UBC.

As for your question, I think your AS level grades would matter more than you GCSEs. So if your AS level grades are better, you might have a solid chance of getting in. Your A level predictions should be strong as well. And as the other reply says, your personal profile matters almost as much as your grades! Try to show them how well-rounded you are. Good luck :smile:

Hey, Inkfigment, I'm new around here, could you help me out a bit?

I really want to apply to UBC in january 2021. Want to study either math or chemistry (i.e. bachelor of science degree)

I'm taking A levels this november: Math, Physics & Chemistry. I was wondering, is 3 A levels enough? I was thinking of doing further maths too, but that'll probably put some stress. I have science fair and math olympiad experience, so Math and Chem are kinda okay for me. I'm confident I'll get A* in math and A in chem. But I'm worried 'bout physics.

Do I stand a chance at UBC (any campus) with A*AA in math, physics, chem? And is it worth taking further maths?
Original post by OMG354
International Advanced Level,, ( outside the UK ). Go on UBC’s website and view their entry requirements for your course

Hey OMG354,

I'm doing the IALs actually. Now there's a thing: I didn't do GCSE levels (O levels). I belonged to my country's national curriculum back in 10th grade. My marks aren't bad though. UBC says they require chem, physics, bio etc at GCSE level. The public exam I sat in my nat curriculum is equivalent to the British O levels, and I did those courses. Can I still apply?
Reply 45
Original post by vyper47
Hey OMG354,

I'm doing the IALs actually. Now there's a thing: I didn't do GCSE levels (O levels). I belonged to my country's national curriculum back in 10th grade. My marks aren't bad though. UBC says they require chem, physics, bio etc at GCSE level. The public exam I sat in my nat curriculum is equivalent to the British O levels, and I did those courses. Can I still apply?

Since they are equivalent to GCSEs I’d definitely apply. Check out other Canadian unis like McGill and UofT
Original post by OMG354
Since they are equivalent to GCSEs I’d definitely apply. Check out other Canadian unis like McGill and UofT

I did. UBC actually RECOMMENDS taking such courses at GCSE level, and only requires 3 A Levels. McGill exclusively says that if the student didn't take GCSE exams, they should just send their transcripts at that level. UofToronto however, says 3 A Levels AND 5 GCSEs at minimum. Yep, that's AND. What about it then?
Reply 47
Does UBC accept BTEC?
Probably? Best to ask them about it
Original post by vyper47
Hey, Inkfigment, I'm new around here, could you help me out a bit?

I really want to apply to UBC in january 2021. Want to study either math or chemistry (i.e. bachelor of science degree)

I'm taking A levels this november: Math, Physics & Chemistry. I was wondering, is 3 A levels enough? I was thinking of doing further maths too, but that'll probably put some stress. I have science fair and math olympiad experience, so Math and Chem are kinda okay for me. I'm confident I'll get A* in math and A in chem. But I'm worried 'bout physics.

Do I stand a chance at UBC (any campus) with A*AA in math, physics, chem? And is it worth taking further maths?

Hey bro, I' m curious did you get accepted cause im in exactly the same situation as you were same grades but applied for bsc in comp sci, so did u get accepted or any response? If so pls give some tips on increasing my chances of getting accepted
Hi! I know this post was 3 years ago so I’m not even sure if you’ll see this but I’m currently in year 11 and doing a weird mix of mini assessments that are supposed to replace what would be our igcse scores. I’ve had a lot of anxiety around whether UBC will look at these grades or not because I’m almost certain they won’t be good! Also do a levels and being an international student increase my chance of acceptance? I know I’m thinking about this two years early so it’s probably useless of me to be worrying now but I just thought I’d ask Incase!
Original post by Soggy toy
Hey bro, I' m curious did you get accepted cause im in exactly the same situation as you were same grades but applied for bsc in comp sci, so did u get accepted or any response? If so pls give some tips on increasing my chances of getting accepted

Hi, just saw your reply after a long "vacation" from the forum

I ended up taking an AS in further maths alongside full CIE ALs in math, physics, and chem. Ended up with 3A* on the ALs and an A in the AS FM :biggrin:

Also ended up not applying to UBC since I was already tired of writing essays for US colleges. Got into both UofT (physical sciences) and McGill. Also ended up applying to UK and US colleges, got into Imperial, Nottingham, and Edinburgh, but committed to my dream school, Johns Hopkins University in the US <3 :biggrin:

And from what I've learned from other applicants: A*AA should be fine for BSc CS at UBC
When you finish sixth form do you have to go university in the Uk if you wanna study at UBC?
Hii If you wanna go ubc and you finished sixth form, do you have to go to university in the Uk or can you just apply for Ubc straight away? Im not sure how it works for Uk international students

Hi, I go to UBC Vancouver and I did A-levels. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about UBC.

As for your question, I think your AS level grades would matter more than you GCSEs. So if your AS level grades are better, you might have a solid chance of getting in. Your A level predictions should be strong as well. And as the other reply says, your personal profile matters almost as much as your grades! Try to show them how well-rounded you are. Good luck :smile:
Original post by izume.x
When you finish sixth form do you have to go university in the Uk if you wanna study at UBC?

Well, you should have applied when you were applying for other universities (at the end of year 12/start of year 13)
but if you have already finished sixth form, apply now and you will receive your place/ declined place at UBC in around may 2023
Hii, I am currently applying to UBC. To be exact, I have already applied with my AS Levels and IGCSE grades and I’m waiting for a response. So, the website says that I should have a minimum of 6 disciplines. I have 5 for igcse: English as a second language, german as a second language, history, biology, and math. And I have three for AS and A Levels: English Language, Math, and History. Is it a problem that for instance I have Math and History both for igcse and A levels? And also, do you know if English is included in the ‘six disciplines’ thing? I’m really stressed out cause I received an email from UBC which said that the same disciplines in igcse and A levels don’t count and that English is a general requirement.

Hi I currently do btec hospitality Chemistry and dMathematics in my A levels and. j wwas looking into applying at University of British Columbia to do Actuarial Sciences or Biomedical engineering , on their website, to do actuarial Maths, the minimum requirement is A level or As Maths and im not so sure for biomedical Engineering. Anyway, on the general requirements list they said a minimum of three A level subjects and i was wondering if they considered my btec as a third subject or if they don't accept btec

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending