The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hmmm... why is your GP so difficult about it? i had mine for free through the nurse. the one that caused problems was the TB one, i remember having it when i was a kid (makes me feel old) but i dont have a scar what so ever GP said i had to pay £40 to have it done again. :s-smilie:
If your GP surgery won't do it for studying medicine, try begging them or try Fluffy's angry letter suggestion :biggrin:

If that doesn't work, claim you need it for a holiday.

If you still can't get it, you can try going to a travel clinic.

Alternatively, volunteer at a hospital, get a needle stick and go to occy health, who will vaccinate you lol.
Reply 22
All sorted, my lovely employer did some ringing around for me and found that once I have an uncond offer, my uni should pay my practice to do it, or uni occy health will do it themselves. Or I can just pay the £125 and get it over and done with now. Think I'll wait for that offer...
that isn't true. who told them that? representatives from your universities. if that's too late for you to complete your course in time and you're rejected on the basis of this, you won't be impressed. phone the unis you've applied to for advice on this as this sounds very dubious to me.
Reply 24
I thought you only had to have the first two jabs when you start? So if uni's have to decide by end of March, I've got enough time to get all three jabs in, just not the blood test (which the uni'll repeat anyway).
depends on your uni's policy. they vary. we needed to have completed the course and be ready for blood test. also where it says deadline, read guideline.... phone them now to check. seriously.
Reply 26
Becca-Sarah
I thought you only had to have the first two jabs when you start? So if uni's have to decide by end of March, I've got enough time to get all three jabs in, just not the blood test (which the uni'll repeat anyway).
uni's dont always decide by the end of march.

BL kept me waiting til 3rd April. But they only required the first 2 jabs done before I got there. Actually they probably wouldn't have minded if I had only managed 1. They're quite nice :smile:
I know that some unis don't give you the jab any more, but some do when you enter the course. I just went to GP and said I need the Hepatitis B course because I haven't had it and need it for medical school. The practice nurse just did it all, first a blood test, two weeks later the first jab. And five months later the next jab. That is due end of November for me; and all for free! What kind of Doctors doesn't give you free injections?! I get loads from my GP and they have never mentioned any sort of charge. You could say you work in a hospital (I do), or find a country where it's required and say you are going there. But they really shouldn't ask, it's not your doctor's/nurse's business to know why you want the HEP B injection, just to give you it.
Reply 28
marsalltheway
I know that some unis don't give you the jab any more, but some do when you enter the course. I just went to GP and said I need the Hepatitis B course because I haven't had it and need it for medical school. The practice nurse just did it all, first a blood test, two weeks later the first jab. And five months later the next jab. That is due end of November for me; and all for free! What kind of Doctors doesn't give you free injections?! I get loads from my GP and they have never mentioned any sort of charge. You could say you work in a hospital (I do), or find a country where it's required and say you are going there. But they really shouldn't ask, it's not your doctor's/nurse's business to know why you want the HEP B injection, just to give you it.
these injections cost money.
The NHS cannot afford to just inject anyone for no reason.
If you're going to medical school or a foreign country, it's your priviledge and you should pay for the jab.
some gp's have a policy of giving them free to med students but this isn't a requirement. they are more or less directly paying for them out of their own wage.
The NHS will pay for your hep B jab if you are a worker who deals with blood and bodily fluids...
Reply 31
i had my blood test the other day and it turned out that the HepB vaccine didnt work and i dont have enough antibodies for protection. it looks like i have to pay now for the second round of injections. :s-smilie: what is wrong with me why is my body not accepting the damn thing.
i needed 6 injections in the end.... i had 3 before i came but when they tested my blood i wasn't immune. so i had 3 more (1 at a time with blood tests i add) now i'm a happy camper :smile: it's fairly normal.
Reply 33
i hate blood tests :cry:
malaz_197
i hate blood tests :cry:

:frown: me too I hope mine has worked :s-smilie:
I have fantastic immunity apparently! I got tested at occie health after a needlestick when volunteering. The leaflet I was given said that a titre of 100 units was adequate immunity, and mine is 1000! :biggrin:
Reply 36
wow!!^^^

i was speaking to my friend's boyfriend the other day (he is med student at Leiceseter) and he said it can be some kind of immuno-defficincy as i was a carrier of Hep B at the age of 3 and didnt have immunity and after a full course i dont have immunity either!!! i might have AIDS ppl!
I had my Hep B done yesterday, as well as my typhoid/Hep A, both in the same arm. It's so numb :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending