Cloning13%
Depression being rife in society0%
Euthanasia (Assisted Suicide)19%
Self Mutilation0%
Steriotypes19%
Other (Please state in a reply)6%
Total votes: 16
Hello everyone.
Ok, next week were going to do our orals for English. My teacher told me that to get a top mark talk about an issue that’s controversial. I want a top mark in this, but I need help thinking of a topic. She also said pick a topic which you know about. So I’ve thought of some topic’s which I could do, and have idea’s for all of them but I’m not sure which topic to actually choose.

Depression, body image/self esteem, self mutilation and stereotypes are topic’s which I think people don’t know much about, and have very… cliché thoughts on. So I thought it would be interesting to do my oral on this. I also think some people in my class would be able to relate to whatever I say. But with these topic’s, I don’t really think their really controversial and I am aiming for a top mark for this.

Abortion, cloning, and euthanasia are all topics’s that I have strong opinions on. I like debates, so I know each side of these arguments and I would be able to talk about it. But these subjects, well my teacher said it’s important to keep the audience interested. And I’m not so sure my class would be very interested in these. And with abortion I also think this is a topic many people would do. I don’t want mine (especially if I’m doing it last) to just be an echo of what other people have said.

Sex in society, and children growing up to fast, well for these subjects I could probably say a lot. I definitely think that the sex in society would make people’s ear’s prick up. But again, I’m not to sure if their controversial enough. Chewing gum being banned, well it would make students think for sure. The idea came from a piece of chewing gum being stuck on my shoe. Not so sure what I would say for this though.

I guess I really need help choosing a topic. Please vote for whichever topic you think I should do, I’m not sure which one would be the best. I want it to be controversial and keep everyone interested in what I’m saying. Please vote before next week as I need to do my oral’s sometime then. Thanks.

Also tips on getting a top grade and getting rid of nerves would be helpful.

Thanks everyone. : )
Reply 1
We did something similar to this. Urgh how I hated speaking and listening; I could never decided what topics to do!

I did smoking in public places, but one girl in my class did euthanasia and that was really good.

So if I had the chance to do it again I would choose euthanasia, but just pick something you have opinions on.
Reply 2
Although those are all contraversial... some are slightly... predictable?

What about, was Al Gore a deserving winner of the Nobel Peace Prize? Or if you wanted to do abortion, you could make it slightly less dull by looking at whether the limit should be shortened or if it's being used to often. Should be let King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia visit the UK and dine with the PM? Should be take milatary action in Afganistan?

Maybe they're just things that interest me a bit more.

You're luck you get to chose. I had to do one where we chose people to start a new life on the moon from a list of profiles, one on Oscar Wilde (didn't know anything about it!), one on a poem from the language section, one on a literature poem, one was an oral assessment of Jekyll and Hyde... and I don't remember the other one.
Reply 3
I think I had to talk about a painting for this ^o) (don't do it! :yawn:)

I remember in year 8 we did some speaking and listening on euthanasia. It was an excellent topic and really controversial. Plus we all had different views which made it interesting.

I think that you are right; lots of people will do abortion. Euthanasia is a similar topic but for old/disabled people not babies (plus, you could link something into the whole abortion side and keep people interested)

The self mutilation/body image options sound OK in my opinion, but you say that your view is very clichéd which could bore people. I also don't know whether there are two equally convincing and interesting sides to an argument on this subject.

So my vote is with euthanasia. The fact that you have a "very strong view" on the subject will help a lot and the topic will certainly keep the class interested.

As for tips, remember to speak clearly, loudly and at a reasonable speed.
Don't make the talk too long - about 4-5 mins is good but anything more and it will be really boring, no matter what you say.
Include facts and figures in your answer to back up your points, but don't overdose on them.
Be polite to your audience and involve them - "thank you very much for your comment", "I respect your opinion", "does anybody have any questions?".
Lots of people say to look at the back of the classroom when speaking, but it is much better to give eye contact or at least to acknowledge that your audeince are there. This may seem nerve-wracking but it really helps to engage them and it is actually not that hard.
Use techniques like repetition, rhetorical questions and dramatic pauses to help to reinforce a point. It will also keep your audience interested.
Also, hold yourself well. Keep your back straight, don't fiddle with your prompt cards, stand up tall and don't lean on one leg as it looks like you can't be bothered.
This won't officially get you any extra marks, but if you come into school with shiny shoes, no ladders in your tights and a clean shirt it will also give off the right impression to your class your teacher will definitely be impressed and it will show that you can be bothered (so she might subconsciously bump you up a mark or two).

Hope it all goes well xx
Reply 4
AisAis
Although those are all contraversial... some are slightly... predictable?

What about, was Al Gore a deserving winner of the Nobel Peace Prize? Or if you wanted to do abortion, you could make it slightly less dull by looking at whether the limit should be shortened or if it's being used to often. Should be let King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia visit the UK and dine with the PM? Should be take milatary action in Afganistan?

Maybe they're just things that interest me a bit more.

The problem is keeping the interest of a class of teenagers the majority of which probably don't even know what the Nobel Peace Prize is let alone Al Gore :p: Or maybe the kids at my old local comprehensive weren't so... cultured :wink: So there isn't really much opportunity for debate, and I know for a lot of people it would really put them off if the whole class started falling asleep in front of them.

It's fine if you are in a class of intelligent people or go to a private school though I suppose.
Reply 5
/\

You're forgetting that I go to a normal comprehensive that doesn't use sets for anything other than maths. :p:

Who cares is they're not interested? You're doing YOUR exam, not entertaining everyone.
Reply 6
How about talking about how society treats the elderly? And how this compares to 50 years ago? And 100 years ago?

You could talk about the NHS, cases in Old Peoples Houses, Inheritance Tax etc.
Stereotypes!

That way you can dress up as an emo/chav/goth/indie nu-rave kid/whatever and can claim tis part of your presentation.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone who voted and/or replied.

dancingbeth The problem is i do have an opinion on all of the topics. Of course some of them ill probably have more to say then others. I'm just stuck at deciding.

AisAis Yeah all of those thing's are things that probably intrest me. I mean i usualy always read/watch the news so i get where your ocming from. The thing is, like osmeone said in reply, they arnt exactly topic's that would keep my class intrested. And i wouldnt know how to somehow make the class intrested in it. And my teacher did mention that you should work on keeping the class intrested, whatever your topic.

aeiou81 Thank you for those tips. :smile:
I dont mind it, but i am a tiny bit nervous of just talking about something inb front of all these people, and it's veen more nervracking as the teacher is gonna be taking notes and stuff at the back of the class.

TimeLady I will bear those suggestions in mind. :smile: Thanks, i dont think anyone will do about those things.

lil groovy dude Erm... when i said steriotypes, well if i did do that it would be more about, why do people steriotype? No one should be classed as something. Why do people think some things about a particular steriotype? (Like emo = cutting). That sort of thing.
Reply 9
I did mine on child abuse - facts and effects etc.

I'd say just do something that you genuinely care about - it makes it easier
ManUtdGirl
Thanks everyone who voted and/or replied.

dancingbeth The problem is i do have an opinion on all of the topics. Of course some of them ill probably have more to say then others. I'm just stuck at deciding.

AisAis Yeah all of those thing's are things that probably intrest me. I mean i usualy always read/watch the news so i get where your ocming from. The thing is, like osmeone said in reply, they arnt exactly topic's that would keep my class intrested. And i wouldnt know how to somehow make the class intrested in it. And my teacher did mention that you should work on keeping the class intrested, whatever your topic.

aeiou81 Thank you for those tips. :smile:
I dont mind it, but i am a tiny bit nervous of just talking about something inb front of all these people, and it's veen more nervracking as the teacher is gonna be taking notes and stuff at the back of the class.

TimeLady I will bear those suggestions in mind. :smile: Thanks, i dont think anyone will do about those things.

lil groovy dude Erm... when i said steriotypes, well if i did do that it would be more about, why do people steriotype? No one should be classed as something. Why do people think some things about a particular steriotype? (Like emo = cutting). That sort of thing.

I knew what you meant :p:

But yeah, I think stereotypes would be the most interesting ;yes;
Reply 11
Thanks guys lol. :smile:
2 votes for euthanasia and stereotypes.

Anyways from the poll, I’ve decided definitely to not do abortion (about 3 people in my class are doing this), or cloning (not really interested in the subject). The other subjects I’m still considering.

This weekend if I’m planning to write out what I would talk about in each subject, and then comparing each of them I’ll decide on one. Then ill also have a base on what to talk about in the oral.

Anyways thank for voting and replying guys. Much appreciated!
Reply 12
I think you should talk about dog mess on the pavement. I'm being serious actually:smile: I think it would make for a good, interesting topic which everybody would be interested in, and it'd give you something really different to talk about:smile: I've forgotten how you're marked at GCSE English Orals though, so you know:p:
Reply 13
I had to do that...in year 10! I had to talk about Abortion! We only had to chose between abortion, Euthanasia and crime, however i chose abortion because i felt it was easier! I suggest you should do Abortion or body image ad they seem more easier to talk about! There's loads of stuff about these topics on the internet as these topics come up now and then! :wink:
Reply 14
gooner1592 I acctually really like that idea. Acctually i could kinda merge it with the chewing gum thing, and say "How clean is Britain?". The chewing gum was acctually based on that, i remember going shopping and well... their was chewing all over the pavements. So if i kinda merge them togertehr i do think that would make a brilliant presintation. And keep the class intrested.

Simi008 Thanks. But i really dont want to do abortion becuase i want the presinatation more intresting and unique. I know it'll be easier t do, but i dont know. Lol. Body image is still something im considering. It's something that basically we all deal with. But becuase of a personal issue i'm not to sure baout it. But still deciding. Definately going to pick it tomorow. Then prepare it on Sunday hopefully.

Thanks to everyone who has voted. :smile:

x
Reply 15
I think i'm going to do about Britains cleanliness and litter. Though might change it.

Ok so these togerther with coursework make it 40% of the final grade right?

So how are the orals marked? What do you need to get an A* in them? Could anyone help please?
Reply 16
ManUtdGirl
gooner1592 I acctually really like that idea. Acctually i could kinda merge it with the chewing gum thing, and say "How clean is Britain?". The chewing gum was acctually based on that, i remember going shopping and well... their was chewing all over the pavements. So if i kinda merge them togertehr i do think that would make a brilliant presintation. And keep the class intrested.

Simi008 Thanks. But i really dont want to do abortion becuase i want the presinatation more intresting and unique. I know it'll be easier t do, but i dont know. Lol. Body image is still something im considering. It's something that basically we all deal with. But becuase of a personal issue i'm not to sure baout it. But still deciding. definitely going to pick it tomorow. Then prepare it on Sunday hopefully.

Thanks to everyone who has voted. :smile:

x

Yeah! That's an excellent idea!:biggrin: Not only will it be original and keep the rest of your class interested, but it will naturally leave your options open to the full range of marks:smile: Go for it!:biggrin:
Reply 17
gooner1592
Yeah! That's an excellent idea!:biggrin: Not only will it be original and keep the rest of your class interested, but it will naturally leave your options open to the full range of marks:smile: Go for it!:biggrin:

Thanks. :smile:
i really want to get a top grade for this, ive kinda planned out what i want to say. Ive tried to involve my class and i think it's about 4 minites long. I'm hopeing to go through it and add and take out things... But i dont know what they look for to get a top grade.

Can anyone help?

x
Reply 18
ManUtdGirl
Thanks. :smile:
i really want to get a top grade for this, ive kinda planned out what i want to say. Ive tried to involve my class and i think it's about 4 minites long. I'm hopeing to go through it and add and take out things... But i dont know what they look for to get a top grade.

Can anyone help?

x

You could always check the AQA website and find out what the markscheme says for orals at whatever grade you want to get:smile: That may be of some help:wink:

Latest