The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature Love Through the Ages types of love

I'm trying to shape my revision for the Love Through the Ages exam on Thursday around different types of love, and I was just wondering if anyone could think of some types? So far I've got true love, forbidden love and sex
Desire, passion, first love, obsessive love (leading to sickness/death), love as a destructive force, past love, issues around fidelity, betrayal and or manipulation in love, love within marriage...
I hope this helps.
And good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by shutupgeorgia
Desire, passion, first love, obsessive love (leading to sickness/death), love as a destructive force, past love, issues around fidelity, betrayal and or manipulation in love, love within marriage...
I hope this helps.
And good luck!

For the comparison of the text and the two poems do you compare within a pargagraph. How do you make the comparisons?
Thanks
Original post by Alisha07
For the comparison of the text and the two poems do you compare within a pargagraph. How do you make the comparisons?
Thanks

For instance, using obsession:
you'd do an introduction on obsession and love throughout literature
then choose a poem (eg Dowson's Non Sum Qualis) and compare it to your text (for example- Gatsby and losing "the old warm world) and compare the way that both men are reduced by their obsessions and ultimately lose their ability to experience joy (through physical or metaphorical loss of life).
then choose a different poem, eg Wyatt's Who So List To Hount, and compare his obsessive love to another point of your text
If you have time, choose another poem and compare.
It doesn't matter if both of your poems are being compared to the same character, as long as you have different interpretations within your answer, explicit with your analysis of language.

I normally write half a paragraph on either the poem or the text, and then find a way to try to subtly make a reference and then introduce the text/poem to continue the paragraph. You need to explicitly compare so definitely keep it in the same paragraph.
Reply 4
Original post by shutupgeorgia
For instance, using obsession:
you'd do an introduction on obsession and love throughout literature
then choose a poem (eg Dowson's Non Sum Qualis) and compare it to your text (for example- Gatsby and losing "the old warm world) and compare the way that both men are reduced by their obsessions and ultimately lose their ability to experience joy (through physical or metaphorical loss of life).
then choose a different poem, eg Wyatt's Who So List To Hount, and compare his obsessive love to another point of your text
If you have time, choose another poem and compare.
It doesn't matter if both of your poems are being compared to the same character, as long as you have different interpretations within your answer, explicit with your analysis of language.

I normally write half a paragraph on either the poem or the text, and then find a way to try to subtly make a reference and then introduce the text/poem to continue the paragraph. You need to explicitly compare so definitely keep it in the same paragraph.

I'm doing Jane Eyre and Post 1900 poetry. Do you have to create a arguement? so one poem which agrees with e.g barriers to love and one poem that disagrees in cmparision to the novel? Also do you have any predictions on the Othello extract?
Thanks
Original post by Alisha07
I'm doing Jane Eyre and Post 1900 poetry. Do you have to create a arguement? so one poem which agrees with e.g barriers to love and one poem that disagrees in cmparision to the novel? Also do you have any predictions on the Othello extract?
Thanks

Oh, sorry about the Gatsby! That sounds good to me, just try to add different interpretations too.
An argument is always good, but harder to do in the Poetry+Text questions because they don't give you a statement you can argue with like they do with Othello.
Can't really predict much about the Othello I'm afraid, although I'm hoping it'll link to Emelia and Desdemona.. a question about women and maybe their relationships being the most secure maybe?
It's hard to tell
How did everyone find it? I didn't like the unseen poems...
Reply 7
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
How did everyone find it? I didn't like the unseen poems...

I thought it was okay apart from the unseen poems... I also ran out of time which makes me even more nervous for Paper 2 when we have less time!
What was the prose poetry comparison question?

Many thanks 🙂🙂
Original post by blckggl
I thought it was okay apart from the unseen poems... I also ran out of time which makes me even more nervous for Paper 2 when we have less time!

What was the question ??
what did u all end up getting for english lit a level,
im 6 years late but curious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending