The Student Room Group

Level 2 Further Maths - Post some hard questions (Includes unofficial practice paper)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
Would a quadratic in trigonometric functions be outside the realms of FM?

Solve 17=4cos2θ+17sinθ\displaystyle 17= 4\cos^2\theta + 17\sin\theta where 0<θ<3600^{\circ}< \theta < 360^{\circ}.

Hi, i tried solving yours however i only got 1 answewr within the range 0-360 and it WAS 90.

The other quadratic was undefined...
Original post by Pretish
Hi, i tried solving yours however i only got 1 answewr within the range 0-360 and it WAS 90.

That's correct.
Original post by RDKGames
That's correct.

oh ok thanks. I got confused because it was larger than 1.
Original post by notnek
If @_gcx hasn't replied later then I'll take a look.

Hopefully some other students can join in with the thread. I'll continue to post questions if it's just you answering since I think this thread could be useful for future years.

I get 90 degrees too and subbing it back into the question you get 17?

Original post by Pretish
could you work out the answer to what GCX posted? I want to see if i got it right.

i got 90 but not sure.
UPDATE: Don't 90 isn't the answer. I did a minor error.
Original post by CraigBackner
I get 90 degrees too and subbing it back into the question you get 17?

check my recent post lol. It was 90 and one of the quadratics was undefined as it was 13/4 i belive (i think)
Original post by Pretish
could you work out the answer to what GCX posted? I want to see if i got it right.

i got 90 but not sure.
UPDATE: Don't 90 isn't the answer. I did a minor error.

I only got 90.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
I only got 90.

aye yes. Look at my other post. I thought i did an error and i got 90, but then again i redidt it and i got 90 again.
Original post by Pretish
aye yes. Look at my other post. I thought i did an error and i got 90, but then again i redidt it and i got 90 again.

Have you done all the papers of FM?
Have you done all the papers of FM?

pretty much ye.
Original post by Pretish
pretty much ye.

Including practice papers?
Including practice papers?

all 4 sets done
Original post by Pretish

Yep.

For the reference of others:

Spoiler

Do we still get an equation sheet for Further Maths or nah?
Might be a bit tricky but doable:

Given that f(x)=x3kx213x+5kf(x) = x^3 - kx^2 - 13x + 5k and f(5)=0f(5) = 0, find the other two solutions to f(x)=0f(x) = 0. (no trial and error :wink:)
Original post by B0redBrioche
Do we still get an equation sheet for Further Maths or nah?

Nothing has changed since last year.
Original post by notnek
Sequences. It's definitely grade A^ and I've seen a question like this but easier in textbooks but not in an exam (yet).

Here are the first five terms of a sequence:

33,2015,4935,9063,14399\displaystyle \frac{3}{3},\frac{20}{15}, \frac{49}{35}, \frac{90}{63}, \frac{143}{99}

The nnth term of the sequence is unu_n. Find the limiting value of unu_n as nn\rightarrow \infty.

Is this correct?

Spoiler

Reply 36
Original post by Loci Pi
Is this correct?

Spoiler

Yes that's correct :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Might be a bit tricky but doable:

Given that f(x)=x3kx213x+5kf(x) = x^3 - kx^2 - 13x + 5k and f(5)=0f(5) = 0, find the other two solutions to f(x)=0f(x) = 0. (no trial and error :wink:)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

It's actually a very good question, and this is the reason I prefer FM over GCSE Maths because the questions are much more interesting and they carry a more logical approach.

Quick Reply

Latest