The Student Room Group

Level 2 Further Maths - Post some hard questions (Includes unofficial practice paper)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thekidwhogames
Find nth term of numerator and denominator so 6n2-n-2/4n2-1. Apply l'hopitals rule to get the limit to infinity to get 3/2.

Wow I didn't expect L'hopitals rule to be used for this :smile:

But you can factorise and cancel that fraction which is a more GCSE/A Level way of doing this.
Reply 61
Find nth term of numerator and denominator so 6n2-n-2/4n2-1. Apply l'hopitals rule to get the limit to infinity to get 3/2.

By the way I have a feeling that I haven't replied to one of your posts. Please tag me again if this is the case.

I've received a lot of quotes/PMs recently so I'm finding that I'm forgetting some of them.
Original post by notnek
ABC is a straight line where BC is 20% of AC. In the diagram below, the coordinates of A, B and C are shown. pp and qq are positive numbers.

Find the value of pp and qq.

Spoiler

Reply 63

Spoiler

Correct!
Original post by notnek
Wow I didn't expect L'hopitals rule to be used for this :smile:

But you can factorise and cancel that fraction which is a more GCSE/A Level way of doing this.

Haha I saw the opportunity so I took it. And yeah that method was possible but l'hopitals rule saves a lot of time 😂😂
FURTHER MATHS IS ON MY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!!!

:frown::frown::frown::angry::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::birthday::borat::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Original post by notnek
By the way I have a feeling that I haven't replied to one of your posts. Please tag me again if this is the case.

I've received a lot of quotes/PMs recently so I'm finding that I'm forgetting some of them.

NotNek you're messing with my sly eyes lol. I've got that question wrong so many times because my eyes keep replacing the p and q's. xD
Original post by Blackjoker1506

:frown::frown::frown::angry::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::birthday::borat::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Happy birthday. Truly the best gift - I wish I was put in for FM 😂😂
Happy birthday. Truly the best gift - I wish I was put in for FM 😂😂

do u do triple science? or double?

Nice to see people using different methods!
I found the second difference of the numerator and also of the denominator, turned out to be 12/8. Simplified it to 3/2 after.
Original post by notnek
Sequences. It's definitely grade A^ and I've seen a question like this but easier in textbooks but not in an exam (yet).

Here are the first five terms of a sequence:

33,2015,4935,9063,14399\displaystyle \frac{3}{3},\frac{20}{15}, \frac{49}{35}, \frac{90}{63}, \frac{143}{99}

The nnth term of the sequence is unu_n. Find the limiting value of unu_n as nn\rightarrow \infty.

1.5???
Original post by notnek
Correct!

wait, is 'hopital's rule the one where u put all the numbers over the highest value (x)
Original post by Pretish
do u do triple science? or double?

I'm doing the new spec 9-1 science next year and triple
Original post by SamanyuTir
1.5???

Yep. If I were you I'd leave it as 3/2 though
Reply 74

Spoiler

hey man can u show me your working out? I somehow got p= -2, q=4
Original post by Blackjoker1506

Cool! Happy birthday :smile:
My birthday is the day before the calculator paper.
Reply 76
This is the hardest one I've posted so far and requires a very good undrstanding of transformation matrices. Don't worry if you can't do this one.

The transformation matrix P3\displaystyle \mathbf{P}^3 represents a clockwise rotation of 150o150^o about the origin.

Q=(0110)\displaystyle \mathbf{Q} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

The unit vector (01)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} is transformed by the matrix QP\displaystyle \mathbf{Q}\mathbf{P} to give the vector (cosθcosα)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}-\cos \theta \\ \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.

Find the value of θ\theta and α\alpha.
Reply 77
Original post by SamanyuTir
1.5???

Correct :smile:
Original post by notnek
This is the hardest one I've posted so far and requires a very good undrstanding of transformation matrices. Don't worry if you can't do this one.

The transformation matrix P3\displaystyle \mathbf{P}^3 represents a clockwise rotation of 150o150^o about the origin.

Q=(0110)\displaystyle \mathbf{Q} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

The unit vector (01)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix} is transformed by the matrix QP\displaystyle \mathbf{Q}\mathbf{P} to give the vector (cosθcosα)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}-\cos \theta \\ \cos \alpha \end{pmatrix}.

Find the value of θ\theta and α\alpha.

this isn't even in our spec???
Original post by chinkinator
hey man can u show me your working out? I somehow got p= -2, q=4

I don't have the paper but basically the ratio is 80%:20% which is 4:1. Find the chsnge in x and multiply by 4/5 And add to the first x to coordinate to get the middle x coordikstr. Do the same for y and solve them

Quick Reply

Latest