The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
You dont usually find out what college you are in until about 2 weeks before (well it was for me anyway) you start next october. I think its random which college they put you in, and i think they try to keep people doing the same subject as you in different houses, therefore increasing the amount of people you could potentially make friends with. However, after 3 people including me switched course, theres now 4 out of the 10 people in my house doing maths.
University of York
York
ahh, I wondered that as well
I got an offer from York today :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 3
You put down accommodation preferences and they try and meet those as much as possible. For example most of Langwith is 38 week let so if you put down you want 33 week let then you're unlikely to be allocated there. Equally, most of the older colleges don't have en-suite so if you say you want en-suite then if they can meet your criteria you'll probably end up in a newer college.

That said they spectacularly managed to meet absolutely none of my criteria.
Reply 4
If accommodation people do their jobs properly you should be housed with one or two people from your course and one or two people (maybe more) who you have something in common with to guarantee you're not going to be sat in your room alone because nobody has the same interests as you, regardless of whether you get your first choice, second choice etc. hall. Thats why they usually ask for your interests and hobbies on the application form for accommodation.
Reply 5
It's decided by sorting hat.
Reply 6
LOL laser - think that's about right! Everything written on accommodation application is completely ignored as far as I can tell!
Further to a previous post - if you want ensuite you probably should look at another university!
Reply 7
I got ensuite! The fact that by the time these lot come all 252 ensuite rooms in the building site I live on will be finished will possibly increase the chances of them getting ensuite :P

But it doesn't really make much difference, i've been to some non-ensuite blocks and everyone gets on fine and manages to live there okay :smile:
I wrote down that I wanted derwent, that I was claustraphobic and needed a little peace so didn't want to be on bottom floor.

I ended up with the largest room in the block, on the second floor, in derwent, in a corner room with a windowbox overlooking heslington hall.

Who says you get ignored!
Redemption
I wrote down that I wanted derwent, that I was claustraphobic and needed a little peace so didn't want to be on bottom floor.

I ended up with the largest room in the block, on the second floor, in derwent, in a corner room with a windowbox overlooking heslington hall.

Who says you get ignored!

Lucky u, redemption! It's alright for some! I'm guessing your in C block then? Seriously don't worry about the accommodation, even if you are in one of the older places with no ensuite, it's really not bad at all. You do get used to it very quickly aswell. :smile:
Reply 10
The older colleges actually tend to have bigger bedrooms from what I've found. Many of the rooms in my block are twice the size of the ones you would find in Alcuin/James.
space hopper
Lucky u, redemption! It's alright for some! I'm guessing your in C block then? Seriously don't worry about the accommodation, even if you are in one of the older places with no ensuite, it's really not bad at all. You do get used to it very quickly aswell. :smile:

Yeah. Where are you at space?
Redemption
Yeah. Where are you at space?

I'm d blocking it, so we are rivals! :p:
Reply 13
laser
It's decided by sorting hat.

Damn. I was going to say that.
I'm in Langwith D block and it's pretty good, we have en suites, but the rooms tend to vary in size (mine is one of the biggest, but the one next to me is probably the smallest...).

Anyway, colleges are pretty much random, but based on your criteria. Don't worry about it, you will have a great time regardless of your college :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending