The Student Room Group

If you were applying to university again, would you choose medicine?

For those of you who are already doctors or medical students: would you do it again if you could wind back the clock? Or perhaps you'd go down a different route?
Reply 1
I quite enjoy medicine so I'd say I'd do it again if I had to wind back the clock.

...but I wouldn't be happy about taking the exams all again!
Despite all the problems the NHS is facing and the huge hit doctor's income have taken, its still a very varied very versatile job. As a result i will probably choose to work in a less intense area, am more likely to work part time and am more likely to take time out/leave the country entirely, but would i do it again? Probably.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Despite all the problems the NHS is facing and the huge hit doctor's income have taken, its still a very varied very versatile job. As a result i will probably choose to work in a less intense area, am more likely to work part time and am more likely to take time out/leave the country entirely, but would i do it again? Probably.

Ah yes, if the question was more specific, I'd say I don't like the idea of practising in this country. I'd like to explore options overseas.

So yes to doing it again if I was given the option again but maybe not in this country. A fair bit has changed in the workforce and NHS since I applied to enter medicine.

Original post by Bow Tie
Ah yes, if the question was more specific, I'd say I don't like the idea of practising in this country. I'd like to explore options overseas.

So yes to doing it again if I was given the option again but maybe not in this country. A fair bit has changed in the workforce and NHS since I applied to enter medicine.

Where would you choose to go? And reckon it will change by 2022 ish?
Original post by epistasis

You mean if i leave the UK? Probably the Caribbean because i have connections there.
Oh yes forgot to add: if they bring in this 5 year mandatory servitude thing i would not touch it with a barge pole though. Not in a million years.
Yes I would, I still think that being a doctor is more interesting and fulfilling than most other jobs out there (for me personally).

Obviously there are lots of things about medical training which I wish were different though. It's not a perfect system or a perfect job by any means.
Oh yes forgot to add: if they bring in this 5 year mandatory servitude thing i would not touch it with a barge pole though. Not in a million years.

I second this. I'm absolutely passionate about medicine and would 100% choose the degree again however, I do intend to practice medicine abroad
Original post by Sacred Ground
I second this. I'm absolutely passionate about medicine and would 100% choose the degree again however, I do intend to practice medicine abroad

Where?

I'm not sure but I want to have a look about and maybe do an elective in Australia. I think a lot will change in the NHS by 2022 considering how much has changed in the last 2 years...
Reply 11
Original post by Sacred Ground

Are you planning on working abroad now?
Where?

Canada / Australia
Original post by Sayfi
Are you planning on working abroad now?

Once I start clinical rotations I'll get a general gist of how I fit in the NHS and whether I see any longevity for myself working in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending