The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

LGBTQIA+ Friendly?

Fairly self explanatory - is UWTSD (primarily Lampeter) very LGBTQIA+ Friendly?

Most importantly trans/non-binary friendly...
Original post by Lord_Azael
Fairly self explanatory - is UWTSD (primarily Lampeter) very LGBTQIA+ Friendly?

Most importantly trans/non-binary friendly...

Of course!! The Lampeter campus has it's own LGBTQ+ society. The whole campus is extremely inclusive and the University prides itself on it's diversity of students. I was a member of the LGBTQ+ society in Carmarthen and honestly they were all so lovely.

The University strives to be inclusive and will take any matter of discrimination extremely seriously. In the Union there are LGBT officers as well who look out for the interests of that community.

I hope that helped!

Gemma
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Reply 2
Original post by GemmaUWTSD
Of course!! The Lampeter campus has it's own LGBTQ+ society. The whole campus is extremely inclusive and the University prides itself on it's diversity of students. I was a member of the LGBTQ+ society in Carmarthen and honestly they were all so lovely.

The University strives to be inclusive and will take any matter of discrimination extremely seriously. In the Union there are LGBT officers as well who look out for the interests of that community.

I hope that helped!

Gemma

Fab! That's just what I hoped to hear, thanks :smile:
Realised i'm a little late on the game, but you asked about Lampeter in particular, and i hope i can answer..

Lampeter is very nb/trans friendly for the most part, speaking as a semi-open NB person myself. There are gender-neutral toilets around, the staff are supportive, the societies are very decent about it too. The townpeople are pretty liberal too. Fair warning though, there's not a whole lot of things that can be done if there is trouble, i speak from personal experience.

This past year, my flatmate and i were good friends until Christmas. Shortly afterwards i became more openly NB (i'm still female presenting, but experiented with pronouns etc. briefly) I deliberately did not do any of this around her since she was already openly homophobic and transphobic - what had ended our friendship. In response to her *****y behaviour for anyone of an LGBT+ background, a couple of other students reported her, adding my complaints to theirs.
Shortly afterwards she goes batshit, and gets really nasty to anyone not straight and cis, and it blows up in the unis face. The Uni after WEEKS of complaints finally talk to her, but decide no disciplinary action will be taken as she 'promises to be more understanding'. She then uses a slur to my face. Nothing happens.

Whilst its very unlikely you'll experience the same, since Lampeter is a friendly place, should the worst happen, go to the police, not the university.
Reply 4
Ouch...that's not great, is it...sorry to hear that! Although it is nice to hear that more generally it's pretty good, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending