The Student Room Group

Should I include that I'm LGBTQ in my personal statement?

I'm writing a personal statement and can't decide whether I should include that I'm lgbtq. I'm applying for law and want to go into law because I want to help people who have been discriminated against on the basis of their sexual/gender orientation, which I became interested in after figuring out that I'm pan. I feel like it directly relates to why I'm doing this, but should I mention it?
Yes (IMHO)

Your personal statement usually starts with why you are interested in the subject and moves on to what you have done to learn more. So, if this is what drives you to want to study law (equality and justice for all) then you should absolutely mention it.
(edited 8 months ago)
Adding to the previous commenter, and this might be obvious, but you don't have to say that you are LGBTQIA+ to say that you are passionate about law to help people who have experienced sexual/gender identity based discrimination. But if you feel comfortable saying, go for it!
Original post by earlgreyandfog
I'm writing a personal statement and can't decide whether I should include that I'm lgbtq. I'm applying for law and want to go into law because I want to help people who have been discriminated against on the basis of their sexual/gender orientation, which I became interested in after figuring out that I'm pan. I feel like it directly relates to why I'm doing this, but should I mention it?
(edited 8 months ago)
Some people do this. If it's relevant to your motivation it's fine.
Original post by earlgreyandfog

Hello,

If being LGBTQ+ is relevant to your degree path and/or motivations then you have a reason to include it. So I would say yes on this particular circumstance.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending