The Student Room Group

Self refferal to a mental hospital... is it possible?

As the title suggests, is it possible to check yourself into a mental hospital for free? I am so depressed I can't even function anymore. I stay in my house for days at a time. I can't face seeing anyone let alone going to uni, no one seems to care that i've disappeared off the face of the earth either.

When i do pluck up the courage to go to the doctor I make the inital appointment and they set one for a couple of weeks later and I don't feel I can go back because by then Ive lost my confidence to deal witht he situation.

Staying here isn't helping me, If I could spend some time away from my home to get better it might actually work.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes perfectly possible.

Easy way; just go to A&E and threaten to kill yourself.
get an emergency appointment with your GP.

Its rediculous how long you have to wait to get any sort of treatment for this life-threatening, epidemic-level illness. It doesnt seem worth the wait.. but its better than nothing.
Reply 3
Thud
Yes perfectly possible.

Easy way; just go to A&E and threaten to kill yourself.

Wouldn't that mean I would be sectioned rather than voluntarily putting my self in hospital?
Reply 4
well....yeah.

Presumably the only other way would be to go see your GP and explain that you are incapable of coping at home and that you would like to voluntarily enter a mental hospital. But that would require seeing your GP which given your OP you don't seem to be able to do.
No, they won't section you for that.

Go to your GP, tell them you need an emergency appointment. Tell the doctor how severe the situation is, and that you want to be admitted to a mental health unit.

Or alternatively, go to accident and emergency, tell them that you are severely depressed and you need to be seen by a mental health professional urgently. If this is the case, tell them that you are suicidal. They won't commit you, but you will get seen by psychiatric staff, and they may take the decision to admit you voluntarily.
Reply 6
Thud
well....yeah.

Oh okay, maybe I will take that approach if it is the total last resort because of the implications it would have on the other aspects in my life i.e. being able to see my son. Unless I could keep it a secret, but some how I think social services would def find out. It would be better if I was to voluntarily surrender myself for treatmeant rather than be seen to have it forced upon me.
Thud
well....yeah.

I think the OP wants to be put in a mental hospital with the option of coming out whenever he/she wants? No idea.
Reply 8
Okay this sounds a lot better for my situation.

Revd. Mike
No, they won't section you for that.

Go to your GP, tell them you need an emergency appointment. Tell the doctor how severe the situation is, and that you want to be admitted to a mental health unit.

Or alternatively, go to accident and emergency, tell them that you are severely depressed and you need to be seen by a mental health professional urgently. If this is the case, tell them that you are suicidal. They won't commit you, but you will get seen by psychiatric staff, and they may take the decision to admit you voluntarily.
Reply 9
Not necessarily whenever I want to but I have to see my son every fortnight and if I don't it will make the situation a whole lot worse and it would be used as an excuse for them to stop me seeing him and erase me from his life.

generalebriety
I think the OP wants to be put in a mental hospital with the option of coming out whenever he/she wants? No idea.
do you really think you need to be admitted into the place, what actions have you taken before? eg psychotherapy?
I just think you as much as you can before you admit into one of these, I think it's very important to be the in 'real' world.
Reply 11
blackswan
do you really think you need to be admitted into the place, what actions have you taken before? eg psychotherapy?
I just think you as much as you can before you admit into one of these, I think it's very important to be the in 'real' world.

well i def need help.. ive been to the doctors about it on an off over the past couple of years. One dr put me on prozac which made literally confined me to be i could just about get the energy to get a glass of water to taked the tablets to stopped then after about 2 weeks i couldnt take it any more and nothing was getting done (e.g. bills rent not getting paid so getting letters which didnt help).

I went to see another dr and she said i should excercise, but i am so unfit and i have no ne to go with, (I dont have any friends anymore) to keep me on track and make me feel guilty about going.

I don't know, I can't even interact in the 'real' world anymore, people just think I'm a weirdo now i'm sure. Going got uni certainly didn't help, it made me feel a whole lot worse because its so blatently obvious I don fit in. I just sit there and people speak and I don't even understand. If my mum didnt call me I probably would have forgotten the sound of my own voice by now.

I asked for psychotherapy and the doctor tried to arrange it, but because I don't want to kill anyone or myself they woudldn't do anything. I'd rather not lie about this as it would probably get someone to see me but if social services find out I said that they will use it against me.
to the OP

have you actually been referred to your Community Mental Health Team ?

GPs are not psychiatrists and should stop playing at it and handing SSRIs out like sweets
Reply 13
It is hard to get onto a psychiatric ward and sectioned just because you want to you have to be assessed by several doctors and psychologists. OP you could probably get seen by a community nurse.
Anonymous
well i def need help.. ive been to the doctors about it on an off over the past couple of years. One dr put me on prozac which made literally confined me to be i could just about get the energy to get a glass of water to taked the tablets to stopped then after about 2 weeks i couldnt take it any more and nothing was getting done (e.g. bills rent not getting paid so getting letters which didnt help).

I went to see another dr and she said i should excercise, but i am so unfit and i have no ne to go with, (I dont have any friends anymore) to keep me on track and make me feel guilty about going.

I don't know, I can't even interact in the 'real' world anymore, people just think I'm a weirdo now i'm sure. Going got uni certainly didn't help, it made me feel a whole lot worse because its so blatently obvious I don fit in. I just sit there and people speak and I don't even understand. If my mum didnt call me I probably would have forgotten the sound of my own voice by now.

I asked for psychotherapy and the doctor tried to arrange it, but because I don't want to kill anyone or myself they woudldn't do anything. I'd rather not lie about this as it would probably get someone to see me but if social services find out I said that they will use it against me.

ARGH this makes me angry, think it just proves these 'medical staff' don't give a flying ****!
They think you can go see them once, get some drugs and send you on your merry way, god no one understands this. In my case, I had psychotherapy first (well only), yes I was suicidal and at 'risk' but that shouldnt be the only reason to send ppl to get this kind of help. I mean what...unless ur suicidal or voilent, you're really not that bad?! what a load of BS.
You should have been seeing a shrink and then introduced to the option of med, and then remained using both resources.
I'm so sorry these idiots have screwed you around. Well it's looks as if the only thing you can do is to admit yourself....
In some ways you sound like me..
Like advised, exercise is the best antidepressant, try it.
You seem to have got social services 'sussed', they WILL use it against you, they are a horrible wast of money.

Also.. mental health facilities are full of loons, I doubt you will like it.
A rethink methinks. :smile:
Reply 16
It should be possible. Why not go and talk?
Reply 17
I think that it will take a long time before you actually get admitted, because you will ahve to see a lot of consultants and psychologists to assess you, then there is a waiting list, as there always is with the NHS. The only other option is to go to a private clinic, which although is ridiculously expensive, (about £400 a day) at least you can get on with your life sooner and check in. I hope you manage to work things out CXXXX
Reply 18
A friend of mine who was very depressed tried to get herself admitted to a psychiatric ward in the local hospital (this is in Ireland, so things may be different in England). The doctor showed her around the ward before letting her make the decision and she decided against it. She felt, and the doctor confirmed, that she would only get worse if she was admitted. The place was horribly grim and full of people with very very severe mental illness, like paranoid schizophrenia, people who can't look after themselves at all. It is not a good environment and the doctor advised her that if she was admitted she would probably end up at the stage that she would need rehabiliitation in order to be released (ie she would inevitably regress to the point of being unable to function in the real world without help). Bear in mind too that if you admit yourself the doctors can decide whether or not to release you - you don't necessarily get to choose when you leave, regardless of whether your admission was voluntary or not.

Admission to psychiatric care is usually only considered under very severe cases - usually if the person is suicidal or has lost grip on reality to the extent that they could be a danger to themselves or others. Of course the care that's available for cases that are not considered severe is woefully inadequate, and you're feeling the brunt of that. I know going to hospital might seem like a way of getting well but in the case of psychiatric illness it usually isn't unfortunately. You need to try to get other help if you can.
Reply 19
I think that the best option is for you to go and see your GP urgently. There are a number of things that you can do which don't involve you being admitted to hospital which really should be the last thing that is tried. Your GP will hopefully refer you to psychiatric services who will be able to address your situation and work out what the best option is for you. This may be staying in your own home and being visited by a psychiatric community nurse. Make sure when you see your GP that they refer you as soon as possible.

If you feel that you are a risk to yourself then I suspect that the best option to get seen quickly would be to go to A&E and tell them this. However I would not advice that you do this if you aren't actually contemplating harming yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending