The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Music at Notts

So I applied last week for a Music BA, Nottingham being my favourite..
However, going by the reputation of my particular course and the university as a whole, I'm not exactly confident about getting accepted!
The course requires 30 points from the IB, and my predicted grades are within the 31-32 region. I have a grade 8 with distinction and feel as though my personal statement did me justice..however...
I feel asthough my gcse grades are an epic letdown :frown: and will hinder me getting onto the course..
A*A*AABBBCC

Any musicians at Nottingham care to share?
xx
Reply 1
I don't think unis pay a great deal of notice to GCSE grades. Or AS grades, for that matter. My brother just got offers for Geography from all 5 places he applied to (all good unis on a similar level to Notts) with a pretty poor academic record. I know that's not totally a perfect analogy to yours, but I really think it's your A level predicted grades that are the most important, and if you have them, then you're in with a very good chance. I must say that I don't know how popular music is at Notts, but it's a good course, you've chosen well. I don't do it myself, but I'm in Blowsoc and have music student friends who really like it. There seems to be a very good sense of community amongst the music students that I wish we had for Philosophy and English.

From what I've said I don't actually seem to have many links to your situation at all! But thought I'd add a voice of support from a Notts student because no-one else seems to want to: previous academic performance, especially at GCSE unless you failed most of them, doesn't seem to be hugely important. It's predicted A levels. Good luck!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Latest

Trending

Trending