Scroll to see replies

Times have changed, that's why.
Reply 3981
Throwback
Don't make me look dumb :hmmm:

What can I say; I'm a mathmo :dontknow:
Reply 3982
Or the fact that the manager knows nothing about the Premier League :wink:
Good question. I would answer it if I supported Liverpool.
Reply 3984
To relegate an incredibly complex issue to simply "quality of players" and "money" you'd have to not be taking the debate very seriously at all. Trolling wouldn't be an unfair accusation.

-

Now for my attempt at a serious answer. If Liverpool fans will allow me.

Any one league campaign can be explained relatively simply. Any Liverpool fans can readily tell you two or three reasons why last season did not yield them a title, and one of them would be Manchester United, for example.

But to discuss a period stretching as far back as 1990 introduces all manner of complexities and variables. Liverpool have had many managers, dozens of new players, and a change in ownership and capital structure, never mind what's happened to all the other clubs in the league, and indeed which clubs they are.

Wigan Athletic are a prime example of the inability to pinpoint any factors to explain a club's fortunes over such a long period of time. Relegated in 1993, winning the Third Division in 1997, three failed playoff campaigns before winning the 2002/3 Division Two, then finishing second in the 2004/5 Championship to join the top flight, from which they are now in danger of dropping out.

The point is that there has been no "disease", no one fatal flaw that has seen Liverpool unable to record another league title since 1990, and a wealth of factors to explain why at least one team has finished above them in the league every year since then. One season it would be about Jack Walker's money, another season it would be Arsenal's unbeaten streak, another it would be Jose Mourinho, another it would be Cristiano Ronaldo's goals.

The short answer then, is "it's no one thing (you troll)".
Reply 3985
That sounds like excuses, Juwel.

Liverpool do have quality players but they lack the ability to play well together. You don't see the same fluidity in their play as you do between the likes of Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo as well as the whole Arsenal squad. Rafa's rotation policy is not helping the club domestically. If there was some consistency to the team sheet each week then the players would be playing better and you would be challenging for the title rather than falling about 20 points behind come the Xmas period.

Rafa should be having Babel wide left, Benayoun wide right with Crouch and Torres up front, Gerrard as an attacking mid and Mascherano a defensive one. That is perhaps Liverpool's best hope of MAYBE retaining fourth place this season.

I've tried to make it as informative as possible and it's mostly my observations rather than bias against Liverpool before anyone starts flaming me.
Reply 3986
Theyve had a good team with a few standout players but its simply not enough to win the EPL, especially when you compare it to Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea. Alot of their signings have been average.
It's OBVIOUSLY due to the um..fact that we were too busy winning the Champions' League in 2005 ok. :wink: Lol. x
Reply 3988
Haha nice try :tongue:
Reply 3989
The investment arm of the Dubai Government - Dubai International Capital - could be preparing a £500million bid for Liverpool.DIC were thought to be considering buying co-owner Tom Hicks' half of the club, but the BBC reports that they are set to make an offer to both Hicks and George Gillett.Hicks was reportedly considering severing his ties with Gillett, with DIC providing the financial muscle behind any buyout.
I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I can tell you why they haven't come close to winning it under Rafa

They're too negative/defensive. That might win you a CL, it doesn't win you the Premiership.
Because Liverpool aren't consistent enough. Almost any decent team can manage to win a Champs League (Liverpool, Porto etc) because it just needs a good performance on the night, similarly great teams can teams can never win the champs league but in the league you need to be the best club week in, week out, which Liverpool for the past decade and half have not been.
Reply 3992
Van der Sar
Anyone can be one of the best in the world, whether they achieve it is another thing. I don't know why you would say Lucas maybe one of the best player in the world? He didn't DO much to warrant that, or are you deluded?

No mate I'm not deluded at all, I can just spot a quality player when I see one. He's got all the natural and technical attributes required (such as his speed, passing, shooting and dribbling) and with some work on his strength and with matches (which he seems to be currently getting) he can be a world class player.

You probably don't know that he has been captain of every category of Brazillian international football that he has played in apart from the full side, that's Brazil i.e. the best footballing nation in the world. Also, just because you didn't see him shine against Chelsea in a ridiculously tight match where midifeld players had nearly no time on the ball, he actually did excellently, especially considering the players he came up against and the fact that it is his first season in England. Did Frank Lampard DO that much in the match, did Michael Ballack DO that much in the match?? Oh, therefore by your logic they are not world class players. Wake up.

The biggest compliment I can pay him is that in that match, the midfield consisted of top quality, experienced internationals like gerrard, lampard, makelele and ballack and he didn't look out of place.
Ar5enal Fan
Almost any decent team can manage to win a Champs League .

Awww.. nicely put :biggrin: I take it Arsenal are the exception!? xxx
Reply 3994
footy99

Liverpool do have quality players but they lack the ability to play well together. You don't see the same fluidity in their play as you do between the likes of Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo as well as the whole Arsenal squad. Rafa's rotation policy is not helping the club domestically. If there was some consistency to the team sheet each week then the players would be playing better and you would be challenging for the title rather than falling about 20 points behind come the Xmas period.

Rafa should be having Babel wide left, Benayoun wide right with Crouch and Torres up front, Gerrard as an attacking mid and Mascherano a defensive one. That is perhaps Liverpool's best hope of MAYBE retaining fourth place this season.

I've tried to make it as informative as possible and it's mostly my observations rather than bias against Liverpool before anyone starts flaming me.

Well, you've managed to post a good answer to the WRONG QUESTION.
footy99

They can and have played well as a unit. You only have to look at some of their CL performances in recent years. The problem is their individual quality and managers havent been good enough to win it.
Reply 3996
ba_ba1
Theyve had a good team with a few standout players but its simply not enough to win the EPL, especially when you compare it to Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea. Alot of their signings have been average.

So Collymore was average (which was the British transfer record at the time)? Paul Ince? Heskey? Hamann? Hyypia?
footy99
That is perhaps Liverpool's best hope of MAYBE retaining fourth place this season.

retaining 4th? last time we were 4th was 4 years ago...
Reply 3998
Talk about bait... :rolleyes:
Reply 3999
This is an issue that has nothing to do with any of you, so please **** off and mind your own business.

Thank you.

Latest