:wink:
izaldo
T.

E.

S.

C.

O.

Highly debatable whether Everton will indeed build a stadium in partnership with Tesco, to be quite honest. It's looking less and less likely as the days pass by.

Your wonderful American owners, on the other hand..

By the way, what don't you like about them? They've given you nearly £60m of transfers in the last year..
Reply 5982
They've given nothing - All of the money on transfers has been financed by loans which have been secured against the club - I.e. we are paying 30million a season for the privelege of them owning us. Same is happening with United hence why United fans continue to wear Love United Hate Glazer badges and stickers.

I wouldn't wish being bought out by leveraged buy out vultures on anyone. Goin the derby la?
Wish I was :frown:

But I am on the continent till May, so won't be in the country. Still, will be tuning in. Should be a cracking atmosphere and such an important match. I think if you win that's game over in the hunt for 4th for Everton. A draw would keep the race very much alive, and an Everton win would swing it right back in our favour. Very excited.
I'm more confident playing the Bitters at home. Their form's dropped (although being whipped 3-0 isn't great form either), and Cahill and Johnson are out (I think).

2-1 win for the Redmen?
I'd be more worried about Yakubu if I were you! If you defence plays anything like it did yesterday, you'll be in for a tough game.

Rumour going around that Cahill is out for the remainder of the season, so if this is true it's a devastating blow.

I'd like to see Jagielka put back on the bench after his horror show against West Ham, and stick Yobo back into the heart of the defence after his illness. He ought to be more than capable of shackling Torres. And if he can't, then Lescott will eat him up. Kuyt and co we don't really need to give a 2nd thought to, at least not whilst Torres is on the pitch.

Everton have a huge injury list at the minute. Johnson, Cahill, Anichebe, Vaughan, Yobo, Pienaar, Fernandes. I expect Fernandes and Pienaar to both be 100% fit by Sunday, and am also hopeful on Johnson. I think Moyes left him out of the WHU game to give him more time ahead of this huge game against you lot.

Desperate for Hibbert not to play. But if we have still got so many injured midfielders by Sunday then he probably will, which will mean a dream-team central mid partnership of Captain Marvel and Harry Hill. Oh dear.

If Liverpool win then 4th is sown up, if Everton win it'll be much more interesting. To be fair, though, to even be talking about Everton challenging for 4th after the amount Liverpool have spent this year is a credit to the players and the manager. Liverpool have bought 4th if you finish there, and it's no shame to Everton if we do finish 5th.

I'm anticipating a great game.
Reply 5986
izaldo
T.

E.

S.

C.

O.

:toofunny: Well in :biggrin:

Can't wait for the derby. A win wraps up 4th place IMO and 1st-3rd is already out of reach, meaning we'll be back to the usual resting players for CL routine, which gives us a better chance against a slightly out of form Arsenal. Our record against the top 4 under Rafa still worries me though, even if it is in Europe and over 2 legs.
Laevis
:toofunny: Well in :biggrin:

Can't wait for the derby. A win wraps up 4th place IMO and 1st-3rd is already out of reach, meaning we'll be back to the usual resting players for CL routine, which gives us a better chance against a slightly out of form Arsenal. Our record against the top 4 under Rafa still worries me though, even if it is in Europe and over 2 legs.

Tesco doesn't affect me. :smile:

It's common knowledge that the whole 'project Tesco' thing with Everton is becoming more and more unlikely. Thankfully..

Also, I have question. Why do your fans remain so pro-Benitez? This is a serious question. His record in the transfer market is shocking at best, and he's now further away from winning the more important thing, the Premiership, than he was when he first came here. Sure his record in Europe is impressive, but I think you'll be the first to admit that in 2005 you had a large amount of luck to even get to the final. Do your fans expect an owner who will give Benitez a blank cheque and have unlimited patience? Don't accuse me of creating controversy, it's a genuine query of mine and i'd like your answers! :p:

What are your opinions?
Friedrich Nietzsche

It's common knowledge that the whole 'project Tesco' thing with Everton is becoming more and more unlikely. Thankfully..

Also, I have question. Why do your fans remain so pro-Benitez? This is a serious question. His record in the transfer market is shocking at best, and he's now further away from winning the more important thing, the Premiership, than he was when he first came here. Sure his record in Europe is impressive, but I think you'll be the first to admit that in 2005 you had a large amount of luck to even get to the final. Do your fans expect an owner who will give Benitez a blank cheque and have unlimited patience? Don't accuse me of creating controversy, it's a genuine query of mine and i'd like your answers! :p:

What are your opinions?

1 league cup final
2 champions league final
1 fa cup final

1 fa cup trophy
1 champions league torpy

who would come in and do better?

i think those factors might answer ur question
Reply 5989
gunner r us said it for me. He's had money to spend, I agree but we've also sold a lot. Then you take into account things like he actually respects the club and he does have a long term plan. Management isn't a "we'll have the PL in 2 years" thing, it's longer than that, just ask Fergie.

People tend to lose patience with manaers these days, our fans did at some point during the season, but everyon is indeed slowly learning Rafa clearly has a plan, he can't guarantee we'll win it this season or the next, but as time moves on and the players he's invested in now eventually grow, I think we'll be on the road to the good ole' days again.
loadmalz
gunner r us said it for me. He's had money to spend, I agree but we've also sold a lot. Then you take into account things like he actually respects the club and he does have a long term plan. Management isn't a "we'll have the PL in 2 years" thing, it's longer than that, just ask Fergie.

People tend to lose patience with manaers these days, our fans did at some point during the season, but everyon is indeed slowly learning Rafa clearly has a plan, he can't guarantee we'll win it this season or the next, but as time moves on and the players he's invested in now eventually grow, I think we'll be on the road to the good ole' days again.

I can't accept this 'he's got a plan' talk. If you look at the net spend of Liverpool during his tenure you'll see it's way way way more than Arsenal. Yet in this time they've won the league, something that still evades Liverpool.

I agree on the patience front, but there comes a time when results need to be delivered. It's been what, 4 years in charge now? More? I'm not sure.. But in this time you'd expect to be closer to winning the league than you actually are. Or? Surely you'd trade all these domestic successes for one Premier League title? The money he has spent in his time would suggest to most people that he's paid to go for the title, yet failed horribly in this.

Maybe a manager who places more importance on the league than the Champions League would be a better idea. Klinsmann, perhaps? :biggrin:
Reply 5991
Friedrich Nietzsche

What are your opinions?

He's had money to spend, and made a fair few mistakes along the way but what you have to remember is that the other sides are doing it too - United and Chelsea continually invest in their side whilst sides below have been able to invest massivley - Spurs, Man City and Everton even for example. Squad wise - every summer we've overhauled the side massively but I think this summer we need none of that - we need a couple, maybe three quality additions who are all first team material and at least two are 'world class'

Benitez has spent, but he's continually been buying second best and Parry's incompetence has lost out on a few players - notably Simao and Alves, who would both be first choice in our side and infinitly better than the likes of Pennant, Beneyoun, Gonzalez and the others that we've bought in the mid-range of value.

What we are missing clearly is the lack of an assistant manager who is a motivator, and a captain that does not shirk responsibility when it comes to the crunch. Gerrard can't do that half the time, but it's politically impossible to strip him of the captaincy. Mascherano is our future captain by the way.
Reply 5992
Friedrich Nietzsche
I can't accept this 'he's got a plan' talk. If you look at the net spend of Liverpool during his tenure you'll see it's way way way more than Arsenal. Yet in this time they've won the league, something that still evades Liverpool.

I agree on the patience front, but there comes a time when results need to be delivered. It's been what, 4 years in charge now? More? I'm not sure.. But in this time you'd expect to be closer to winning the league than you actually are. Or? Surely you'd trade all these domestic successes for one Premier League title? The money he has spent in his time would suggest to most people that he's paid to go for the title, yet failed horribly in this.

Maybe a manager who places more importance on the league than the Champions League would be a better idea. Klinsmann, perhaps? :biggrin:

Arsenal haven't won the league during Benitez tenure - they've been 3rd,4th and 4th, and they are currently crumbling in the league.
Reply 5993
Friedrich Nietzsche

What are your opinions?

Unlikely? Maybe. Funny? No. Bloody hilarious? Absolutely :biggrin:

You need luck to win any competition, be it the Champions League, FA Cup, or Premier League. We had no more luck than that. Besides, debating this over and over and over and over and over and over again is just tiring, so i won't bother, but you can feel free to :smile:

Arsenal haven't won the league during the time Benitez has been here. We've probably finished above them more times, in fact.

I don't think Benitez's record is shocking. With players like Mascherano, Torres, Agger, Babel, Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa, i'd say it was pretty impressive. These are (or look very likely to become in the case of Agger and Babel) top class players, capable of winning us the Premier League. Why would we get in another manager now and start all over again? Compare the squad we have now to the squad we had when Benitez joined. A vast, vast improvement. It's just that the bar has been raised.

You have to have faith in your manager and you have to have patience. Liverpool fans do have patience. It might not be a lot, but Every Little Helps :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 5994
Friedrich Nietzsche
I can't accept this 'he's got a plan' talk.

Then that's your problem. :smile: You should watch more interviews with him.
Ph.at
That should be Drogba for taking his shirt off and then running into the crowd bare-chested! :rolleyes:

Yeah. If you're going to celebrate a goal properly, then climb the goal posts instead.
izaldo
Arsenal haven't won the league during Benitez tenure - they've been 3rd,4th and 4th, and they are currently crumbling in the league.

I wouldn't say they're crumbling.

They're the youngest squad in the league, consisting of players that Wenger has picked up for relative peanuts in comparison to Benitezs' signings.

Arsenal are a squad for the next 10 years, who are also doing a lot better than certain other clubs around them ought to be doing.

.. in my opinion.
Laevis
You need luck to win any competition, be it the Champions League, FA Cup, or Premier League. We had no more luck than that. Besides, debating this over and over and over and over and over and over again is just tiring, so i won't bother, but you can feel free to :smile:

It's all in the past. You had luck, every teams needs luck to win competitions. Some teams get more luck than others. That's life :frown:

Laevis

Arsenal haven't won the league during the time Benitez has been here. We've probably finished above them more times, in fact.

My bad. But Arsenal look 5x the team Liverpool are right now, with 10x less money having been spent. Reason? I don't think you need to look further than the manager..

Laevis

I don't think Benitez's record is shocking. With players like Mascherano, Torres, Agger, Babel, Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa, i'd say it was pretty impressive. These are (or look very likely to become in the case of Agger and Babel) top class players, capable of winning us the Premier League. Why would we get in another manager now and start all over again? Compare the squad we have now to the squad we had when Benitez joined. A vast, vast improvement. It's just that the bar has been raised.

Whilst I agree he has brought in some top players, any manager with a huge pot of money and the ability to offer silly wages can do that. He's also made, in my opinion, more costly ineffective signings than he has done inspired ones. True, the bar has been raised, but that's mainly down to the 3 clubs who spend obscene amounts of money year after year after year.. LFC, CFC, MUFC.

Laevis

You have to have faith in your manager and you have to have patience. Liverpool fans do have patience. It might not be a lot, but Every Little Helps :wink: :biggrin:

Evertonians know more than any team that patience pays off. Indeed every little helps, but hopefully not in taking us out of the city :wink:
Reply 5998
Friedrich Nietzsche
I wouldn't say they're crumbling.

They're the youngest squad in the league, consisting of players that Wenger has picked up for relative peanuts in comparison to Benitezs' signings.

Arsenal are a squad for the next 10 years, who are also doing a lot better than certain other clubs around them ought to be doing.

.. in my opinion.

Whether they're crumbling is highly debatable, whether they've won the league during Benitez's tenure, though, isn't.

Also, what exactly have Arsenal won? And what have we won with Benitez? How can you try and suggest that they've done 'better' than us when we've won more than they have with Benitez and we've finished above them more times?

Arsene Wenger is a special case in football really. The 'but Arsenal have done it' argument just cannot be applied to every team because not every team has Arsene Wenger. Look at all the top clubs across Europe, they will all have spent significant sums of money. Arsene Wenger is probably the only manager in world football that can win leagues and cups on a supermarket shopping budget.

Just out of curiosity, which would you say were the 'costly, ineffective signings' that Benitez has made?

And i know it's your opinion. Always interesting to hear the opinions of others :smile:
Reply 5999
Friedrich Nietzsche

My bad. But Arsenal look 5x the team Liverpool are right now, with 10x less money having been spent. Reason? I don't think you need to look further than the manager..

Arsenal bought into young talent. We bought into slightly older players that cost more money. The fact we've spent more, doesn't necessarily mean we should be higher in the league than Arsenal. We wanted players like Torres & Babel, unfornuately so did many other teams, but they met our needs so we had to pay a bit more than we'd like to, in order to secure the signing. Same with players like Alonso and Mascherano. You can rant about money all you want, but I think it's a pointless arguement.... you look at one of our best signings, Mr Danny Agger, we paid pennies for all of the great service he's done for us, Torres... for 16-18 million he's been an absolute bargain (note: he wasn't 20+ if you'd just read his official website)...

He's made a few pointless signings but his good ones make up for it. It's all about trial and error til you find the right mix, to say he should have won the league by now is just idiotic. it takes more than that to get above Manc who's signings over the past few years seem to be overlooked (Rio for 35) and to get over Chelsea who've... well they don't need justifying. Shev for 30million, though I suppose it's a bargain when you see Germany captain Michael Ballack on a free. I know, let's rant about Chelsea, all their spending, they should have won the the quadruple a few times, no?

Latest