The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Liverpool Reserves beat Aston Villa 3-0 in the Reserve Final.

Scorers: Nemeth, Brower and Lucas

The lads were fantatsic tonight, A 3 goal win proving their complete superiority over al comers as they have had all year. Credit has to go to Rafa for having the foresight to overhaul the youth system and two Youth Cups and now the reserve league seems to suggest that we are on the verge of reaping the rewards with a few first team players coming through the ranks.
Reply 7981
rafa should have a major overhaul, buy some quality players and implicate the youth/reserve system into the first team. we have the best young centreback pairing in the world apart from pepe-ramos/mertesacker with skrtel-agger. i hope they get playtime so they can develop a really good understanding. i worry for lucas because the lack of playtime for the kid and the fact hes played such a restricted role in many games i think has sapped his confidence (if compared to anderson).

i want us to buy: chiellini (unlikely), silva, joaquin, villa, aguero (v.unlikely) and rafinha.
i
want us to sell/release: kewell, crouch, kuyt, aurellio, riise, finnan, carson, itandje, pennant, hyppia (quick million), voronin.

we should build the team around torres as opposed to gerrard. if we build the team around torres, we need a player of equal quality in aguero/villa. i see villa as a little too old though and a bit of a risk. aguero wanted to come to use 2 years ago... i wouldn't mind trying. i'd be happy to spend our whole budget on aguero and silva. two amazingly versatile players who are sure-fire superstars and will slip right into our 1st team. silva will come to us, aguero prob won't.

imagine being able to choose from:

defense: carragher, hyppia, agger, skrtel, rafinha, chiellini, arbeloa, insua, hobbs, san jose
midfield: alonso, gerrard, mascherano, lucas, plessis,
attacking: silva, babel, joaquin, benayoun,
striker: torres, aguero, nemeth, villa

i'd be ectatic. thats the kind of quality squad you can rotate with! silva = 20M. aguero = 25-35M. joaquin = 15M. villa = 20M.
im not too hot for villa though. silva/aguero are worth any sum of money cos they will provide us with 10 seasons of worldclass work and shirtsales. :smile:
I dont think we need a massive over haul.
We have a great core/centre to our team where we lack is basically on the wings and at fullback. Some who are in the side now, are adequate squad players but not first XI.
Only a side like Chelsea have 2 lots of first XIs..
Reply 7983
wordclass wingers and fullbacks are expensive.

thats why we need the overhaul. and dont tell me u can see unsettled crouch staying/leading us to a title.
To be completely honest, if we got a good RB and a good RM it could be enough. We werent THAT far off the top, just drew like 4 or 5 games we shouldnt have.
We've scored more and looked danagerous too, just need to learn how to grind out results.
Crouch is a different dimensioned player, has certain qualities though his lack of all-round ability leaves a bit to be desired (no pace, weak heading).
Reply 7985
aoaaron
rafa should have a major overhaul, buy some quality players and implicate the youth/reserve system into the first team. we have the best young centreback pairing in the world apart from pepe-ramos/mertesacker with skrtel-agger. i hope they get playtime so they can develop a really good understanding. i worry for lucas because the lack of playtime for the kid and the fact hes played such a restricted role in many games i think has sapped his confidence (if compared to anderson).

i want us to buy: chiellini (unlikely), silva, joaquin, villa, aguero (v.unlikely) and rafinha.
i
want us to sell/release: kewell, crouch, kuyt, aurellio, riise, finnan, carson, itandje, pennant, hyppia (quick million), voronin.

we should build the team around torres as opposed to gerrard. if we build the team around torres, we need a player of equal quality in aguero/villa. i see villa as a little too old though and a bit of a risk. aguero wanted to come to use 2 years ago... i wouldn't mind trying. i'd be happy to spend our whole budget on aguero and silva. two amazingly versatile players who are sure-fire superstars and will slip right into our 1st team. silva will come to us, aguero prob won't.

imagine being able to choose from:

defense: carragher, hyppia, agger, skrtel, rafinha, chiellini, arbeloa, insua, hobbs, san jose
midfield: alonso, gerrard, mascherano, lucas, plessis,
attacking: silva, babel, joaquin, benayoun,
striker: torres, aguero, nemeth, villa

i'd be ectatic. thats the kind of quality squad you can rotate with! silva = 20M. aguero = 25-35M. joaquin = 15M. villa = 20M.
im not too hot for villa though. silva/aguero are worth any sum of money cos they will provide us with 10 seasons of worldclass work and shirtsales. :smile:

So that's what? 11 players out the door!

I believe in stability, that's half the squad gone.
O'Neil claims liverpool undervalue Barry.
"Is Barry undervalued at £10m? Absolutely, without question," said O'Neill. "He is playing for England."
What a joker :laugh:
To be fair, I'd say Barry was worth more than a 10m part exchnage...
I wouldnt really put him past £12mil in valuation.
He's 27, at his peak and his style wont change so we pretty much know what he has to offer. Yea sure he's played a few England matches (18 in total) but he's not done anything significant in the England set up and is behind like; Gerrard/Lamps/Harg/Carrick and maybe even behind a few others (King played in DM rather than Barry getting a call up)
Villa havent played much in UEFA nor any CL, so he's lacking Euro experience. AND assuming he's thinking about opportunities such as playing in CL, may make him consider asking for a move (meaning lower value). Lets be honest, no other CL side are knocking at his door and his time may be running out!
Barrys not worth anything more than 12m imo. Give them 8m plus Carson or something.
Arsenal could be after him?:biggrin:
jamlan
Would we be able to fill a 70k stadium at the moment? As long as it gets built and there is room for expansion then this isn't so bad. Except that we were misled, but I'm no longer surprised by this

Easily. My only worry is when we end up with something **** in the FA Cup/CC and the club try and charge us 20 quid a ticket...won't get filled then.
RobbieC
Arsenal could be after him?:biggrin:

Well potentially but Wenger isnt a big fan of buying expensive known players. So dont really see it happening?
DontBuyTheSun
Easily. My only worry is when we end up with something **** in the FA Cup/CC and the club try and charge us 20 quid a ticket...won't get filled then.
I think 20 quid is always a reasonable price to see a good game of football... or a mass of goals.
RobbieC
I think 20 quid is always a reasonable price to see a good game of football... or a mass of goals.

20 quid to watch liverpool reserves v wycombe wanderers is not worth 20 quid. No matter what. Its disgusting.
I reserve more complaints for the £5 pints at emirates... or whatever ridiculous price they charge. It's exploitation.
£5!?! Damn...
Reply 7997
DontBuyTheSun
Barrys not worth anything more than 12m imo. Give them 8m plus Carson or something.

That would be over £12m, as Carson is valued at more than £4m. At one point, they were talking about around £10m for him.

EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7088633.stm

Towards then end of last year then. I always said we should wrap up a deal for Carson sooner rather than later. I still think his valuation will be around £7m as MON wants him, he's a good keeper, only 22, and as MON points out 'an England international'. Could be a good bit of business considering we got him for just under £1m.
Reply 7998
DontBuyTheSun
20 quid to watch liverpool reserves v wycombe wanderers is not worth 20 quid. No matter what. Its disgusting.

£10 to ST, £15 to FC and £18 to non FC and cash sales on the night.

Although looking at the prices lower league clubs charge these days for admission for league games, £20 is closer to the mark probably.
Argh. Had LFC twice in my societies and tried to leave one, instead both got deleted :mad: sign me back up!!

Latest