The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I was referring to how when things aren't going right Liverpool panic because they lack that necessary composure.

And see my last post for an insight on Pennat.
idiopathic
Buying Masch would definitely be a step in the right direction but it doesn't actually change anything. And there I can see a problem - would Benitez really be given £17 mill to seal Masch PLUS another £20 mill + for more 'world class' player(s)?

Time running out for the gaffa?

Err, it would mean we'd retain a world class DM for next season..?
To be honest, if Rafa wants to buy more players, he will also need to sell a couple, the squad isnt small.
RobbieC
SWP is world class?!?! *BOILK* Sheva was, not sure about it now though. I don't want this to turn into a silly debate, but I'd also say VDS and Almunia are as good as Reina and that Vidic, Ferdinand, Clichy and Toure deserve mentions... Though of course you were just giving examples. Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

And Evra; probably our 2nd best player this season ;yes; I think he was talking about attacking players, though.
Yes, Evra is one I'd add to the list, I think he's warmed into his role well.

France certainly have a decent set of fullbacks.
Reply 1784
No way are VDS and Almunia same as Reina. :teeth: Almunia, in particular, there's too much hype over. He's played a few decent games for Arsenal and now people think he's one of the best in the Prem & should be playing for England. That's a joke.
Tbh i dont think any of the top4's back line are significantly better or worse than others.
Laevis
No way are VDS and Almunia same as Reina. :teeth: Almunia, in particular, there's too much hype over. He's played a few decent games for Arsenal and now people think he's one of the best in the Prem & should be playing for England. That's a joke.

umm...what? Everyone thinks Almunia's ****......everyone!! Even Arsenal fans.

EDIT: The 'Almunia for England' chants are just the crowd having a laugh.
Laevis
I think he is solid and orthodox in a way that Reina is not. And I value that more than the occassional benefits of being an erratic clown goallie. Another Liverpool novelty player.
Reply 1788
Synergetic
umm...what? Everyone thinks Almunia's ****......everyone!! Even Arsenal fans.

EDIT: The 'Almunia for England' chants are just the crowd having a laugh.

Hmmm, i was actually responding directly to Rob who said that Almunia is as good as Reina. :redface:
RobbieC
I think he is solid and orthodox in a way that Reina is not. And I value that more than the occassional benefits of being an erratic clown goallie. Another Liverpool novelty player.

You dont think Reina is a good keeper? :s-smilie: :eek: :s-smilie:
Benitez has spent roughly £138 million since arriving at Liverpool. I don't think he has enough quality to show for the amount he's spent.
Reply 1791
RobbieC

If that's the case, it makes your championing of Lehmann over Almunia a little strange, no?

Either way, this Reina being an erratic clown goalkeeper is more reputation than substance.
Laevis
Hmmm, i was actually responding directly to Rob who said that Almunia is as good as Reina. :redface:

Well then the only logical conclusion I can draw is that he thinks Raina is ****.

:ninja:
Throwback
Benitez has spent roughly £138 million since arriving at Liverpool. I don't think he has enough quality to show for the amount he's spent.

Mmm i think its about £125mil with 60-65mil sold too.
Reply 1794
sarforaz

People often forget we SELL players as well :rolleyes:
RobbieC

Erratic. You mean like 3 mistakes in 2 seasons? Like Cech..

I'm fed up of this wrong perception that Reina is clumsy and vunerable. You don't win the 'golden glove' 2 years running if you are.
Laevis
If that's the case, it makes your championing of Lehmann over Almunia a little strange, no?

Either way, this Reina being an erratic clown goalkeeper is more reputation than substance.
Okay I exaggerate, but Reina is prone to some clangers at times, and I've not seen the same from Almunia. You are right though, he hasn't had that chance. I feel he is stable in comparison and a hell of a shot-stopper, though.

I simply said that I feared Almunia could have bottled it on the big stage, but bless him, he didn't. If I were the manager, I'd have stuck with him for confidence reasons. He is working very hard, and doing fantastically well.
Reply 1797
DontBuyTheSun
Erratic. You mean like 3 mistakes in 2 seasons? Like Cech..

I'm fed up of this wrong perception that Reina is clumsy and vunerable. You don't win the 'golden glove' 2 years running if you are.

In terms of overall goalkeeping talent, you won't find much better than Reina, in my opinion. I'm pretty pissed off which everyone not even rating him, it's pathetic.
loadmalz
People often forget we SELL players as well :rolleyes:

Well admittedly Rafa has had to sell some players that he bought that didnt work out but its ridiculously to think that every player you buy will be a gem. Rafa has bought in and sold like 50 players each way or something rediculous :eek:
sarforaz

It's £138m with £56m sold. I took Torres to be £26.5m.

Latest