The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Would a University ask for GCSE'S?

Let's say you got AAB for your A Levels would a University still ask for GCSE'S? And why.
(edited 6 years ago)
Most will ask for GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above (or the equivalent in the new numbered system).
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Nak991234
Let's say got AAB for your A Levels would a University still ask for GCSE'S? And why.

They would certainly look at them. Good A-Level performance outweighs GCSEs by far in most cases, but depending on the uni and the course it will have certain GCSE requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Muserock
Most will ask for GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above (or the equivalent in the new numbered system).

Yea, I understand but won't A levels outweigh GCSE'S since the're higher? So it doesn't make alot of sense to me.
Yea, I understand but won't A levels outweigh GCSE'S since the're higher? So it doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Not really. If for some reason a course specified a B in GCSE Maths and you had a C at GCSE but a B at A-Level - THEN It would outweigh it. But regardless if you've got A*'s in 3 A-Levels - If a course says it wants GCSE grade B in Maths and English, generally that's non negotiable.

They do, but they also want to see consistency and that A levels weren't just a flook. Alternatively if you did badly in GCSEs they can look and see how much you've improved.

Going off A levels gives them one data set of your ability. Giving them two sets is more informative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending