The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield - GCSE Certificates

To anyone who has had offers from University of Sheffield, do you HAVE to provide your GCSE certificates? It was COVID during my GCSEs, so we were not given an option to collect them and I was never sent them in the post. However, I did finish college a year ago so I do have a certificate for those grades.
Original post by bethany87878
To anyone who has had offers from University of Sheffield, do you HAVE to provide your GCSE certificates? It was COVID during my GCSEs, so we were not given an option to collect them and I was never sent them in the post. However, I did finish college a year ago so I do have a certificate for those grades.

I you don't have the certificates how can you ever prove (to a university or future employer) that you have the GCSE grades you claim to have?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I you don't have the certificates how can you ever prove (to a university or future employer) that you have the GCSE grades you claim to have?

I guess I can’t, but I wasn’t sure if all universities actually ask for these. Specifically Sheffield as this is the university I am hoping to go to.
I guess I can’t, but I wasn’t sure if all universities actually ask for these. Specifically Sheffield as this is the university I am hoping to go to.

If your course, or the university generally, has GCSE entry requirements (e.g. for Maths and English Language) then the university needs some way to establish that you genuinely have the grades they've asked for. If they didn't, some applicants would simply lie.
Reply 4

If your course, or the university generally, has GCSE entry requirements (e.g. for Maths and English Language) then the university needs some way to establish that you genuinely have the grades they've asked for. If they didn't, some applicants would simply lie.

Thanks for your help. There is only one GCSE requirement which is english. Would you recommend paying for a replacement certificate from the exam board? Would i only need to pay for the certificate for maths (as it is the only requirement) or would i need to pay for the certificates for all subjects?
Ask the school you sat it at. They might have them.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Ask the school you sat it at. They might have them.

Thank you, i’ve just sent them an email. I left in 2020 so it’s a long shot but no harm in trying!
Thanks for your help. There is only one GCSE requirement which is english. Would you recommend paying for a replacement certificate from the exam board? Would i only need to pay for the certificate for maths (as it is the only requirement) or would i need to pay for the certificates for all subjects?

I guess it would depend on the exam board (or boards). Most will not actually issue a replacement certificate but will provide you with a "certified statement of results" (which is proof of your qualifications), and may also send a confirmation letter directly to the university (if you ask them to).

Given that it's one statement of results (listing all your grades with that exam board) it should be one fee. At least that's the way AQA do it (for £43, I think).

If you let me know your exam board(s), I'll happily check for you.
Reply 8

I guess it would depend on the exam board (or boards). Most will not actually issue a replacement certificate but will provide you with a "certified statement of results" (which is proof of your qualifications), and may also send a confirmation letter directly to the university (if you ask them to).

Given that it's one statement of results (listing all your grades with that exam board) it should be one fee. At least that's the way AQA do it (for £43, I think).

If you let me know your exam board(s), I'll happily check for you.

Thank you! I had all my GCSEs spread across 3 exam boards, Edexcel, AQA and OCR. English (the only requirement) was done through AQA, so I feel it is only worth paying for AQA
Thank you! I had all my GCSEs spread across 3 exam boards, Edexcel, AQA and OCR. English (the only requirement) was done through AQA, so I feel it is only worth paying for AQA

What have Sheffield actually asked you for? If they asked you for evidence of all your GCSE grades, then it would seem wise to check with them that they only actually need those where the GCSE/grade is stated as a requirement of the course.

Links to the various "replacement certificate" services are below:
Pearson/Edexcel ("Standard replacement certificate UK delivery - £52")
AQA ("You’ll need to pay an administration fee of £43.")
OCR ("The standard fee for this service is £57.00 per exam series.")
Reply 10

What have Sheffield actually asked you for? If they asked you for evidence of all your GCSE grades, then it would seem wise to check with them that they only actually need those where the GCSE/grade is stated as a requirement of the course.

Links to the various "replacement certificate" services are below:
Pearson/Edexcel ("Standard replacement certificate UK delivery - £52")
AQA ("You’ll need to pay an administration fee of £43.")
OCR ("The standard fee for this service is £57.00 per exam series.")

I’m not sure exactly what Sheffield need yet. My old school has emailed me back saying they will look for my certificates, so I will wait to hear from them and if no luck I will give Sheffield a ring and pay whichever exam board they deem necessary.

Thanks for your help!
I’m not sure exactly what Sheffield need yet. My old school has emailed me back saying they will look for my certificates, so I will wait to hear from them and if no luck I will give Sheffield a ring and pay whichever exam board they deem necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Good plan. :smile:

Hiya,

I had my GCSEs the same year as you and when I applied, all I can remember doing was filling in what I had received for each subject. It would be best to ring up the University +44 114 222 8030 to clarify. However, I would suggest you obtain a copy of your certificates as future employers might ask for them.

Good luck!
Jivanthika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending